jeromephone

difference between different mega pixel cams

We are in the process of quoting a job which we can propose either 1.3 or 2 mega pixel cams. Given that whatever mfg we use will be the same for both can on really tell the difference unless they are side by side on the same view. I have looked at cameras from 1.3 to four and can tell the difference but I don't know if the price difference is worth it. It seems to me the big difference is between analog and 1.3. I am also assuming that the cameras would be the same except for the megapixel rating.

I have found an improvement, using one 3MP (Axis P3346) replacing 1.3MP (P3344). But this is a pretty wide FOV, I like having the extra resolution and don't want a lot of cams on the front of the house.

There are plenty of other specs to consider besides just resolution. How do framerates compare? Codecs? Bandwidth? Low-light performance and features (ICR)?

I know what you are saying if one model has IR or not that type of thing Many mfgs don't supply the same camera without changing other features so you cannot get a direct comparsion. This environment will require IR and is pretty hostile. We may even have to have a constant air flow over the camreras to prevent dust buildup. On the old system that is no longer working the cameras had to be cleaned every week. I will probably end up with some type of outdoor rated camera. Still have not chosen a mfg yet.

If you are looking for value, bang for the buck, my guess is you will select from one of the brands in Taiwan (ACTi, Brickcom, Geovision, Messoa, OpenEye, Speco, Vivotek...) . The main differences between the companies from my point of view is consistent quality, quick RMA process, good support, basically a company stands by their product. To me this is the biggest differentiator. The next is how stable is the software/firmware, not all are equal here. Not saying that cameras don't have bugs, it's how many, how quick will they fix bugs. It's a totally different ballgame compared to analog cameras, bad software is a deal breaker for me.

Also, if you are used to analog cameras, going to MP cameras means going from CCD to CMOS (although there are a small handful of CCD MP cameras). That means low light performance varies greatly between camera models, so keep that in mind.

I have reviews on popular cameras on my blog and putting up new ones as fast as I can write them. Always looking for camera recommendations from the community so I can get them to review.

We are in the process of quoting a job which we can propose either 1.3 or 2 mega pixel cams. Given that whatever mfg we use will be the same for both can on really tell the difference unless they are side by side on the same view.

From my experience, if you are talking basically the same model but switching between 1.3mp and 2 MP resolution, then no there isnt much of a difference at all, atleast I couldnt see a whole lot that was gained from switching from 1.3mp to 2mp, if anything, very little was gained especially for evidence purposes. So if you are talking about a manufacturer who basically has the same exact camera other than the resolution, but one maxes out at 1.3mp and the other maxes out at 2mp, and the 1.3mp is alot cheaper, then I would go with the 1.3mp.

But comparing an analog camera to a 1.3mp camera, the difference is huge.