cgcmgr

Will this power supply work for this enclosure?

HI Guys,

Just trying to figure out what power supply I need to power my enclosure and camera. This is the power supply I'm looking at: http://www.spytown.com/24voac50vaul.html and it would be used for this enclosure http://www.videolarm.com/literature/Videolarm/Instructions/81-IN5329.pdf

The enclosure is a Videolarm FDW25C12N. It has a 20W heater and two 1 watt fans. I just don't understand the instructions that well and I don't want to get the wrong power supply. The camera is an Axis 215PTZ which uses 14.5W max.

Thanks,

Chris

Ok, didn't get any replies in this forum, but I was told my power supply choice was fine in a different forum. Well...............When I connected the power, I didn't hear any fans spinning (was told they would always spin) and when I touched the fans, they were extremely hot. I think I may have fried the fans and possibly the PCB board that the heater connects to. I really hope not. The heater/blower is supposed to be 12V as well as the camera's power via the enclosure. I connected the camera using the camera's power supply (not the power from the enclosure) so everything is fine with that. The instructions are very confusing (see link in above post). It says 24VAC everywhere which made me think I would need a 24VAC transformer. I really hope I didn't burn anything out. Can anyone tell me if I used the wrong device to power the enclosure? What should I have used if it is wrong?

Chris

The instructions are very confusing (see link in above post). It says 24VAC everywhere which made me think I would need a 24VAC transformer.

i think the guy who made the PDF file was on something. yes you are right everything points to 24v untill you look at parts list part 5 24v fan or 5A 12v models only. that is the only time in the PDF that tells there are two types.

untill you try to find on the manual about 24v or 12v and its in small lettering on the first page. at bottom.

http://www.videolarm.com/literature/Videolarm/Instructions/81-IN5329.pdf

Before attempting to connect or operate this product, please read these instructions completely.

To be used with the 81-IN5481 Instruction Manual.

which is 24v

then look over to the right and you see this.

81-IN5329

01-13-2012

which is the Right manual for the 12v dome

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/123securityproducts/81-IN5329.pdf

its there mistake with doing a stupid manual ....24v and 12v both have the same manufacture part number.

take a look at your fan (part number 5 for 24v or 5A for 12v system)

I don't blame you at all for not understanding those instructions - they contradict themselves all over the place, like ssmith and Tom have pointed out. Obviously the people on the "other" forum aren't as smart as they think they are... sorry nobody saw your question here sooner!

The good news is, there's a chance your fans aren't damaged - putting AC into a DC fan WILL cause it to just sit and wiggle a little without spinning, and since there's no back-EMF, they WILL draw a lot of current and get hot... however, if they were still hot when you shut it off, that means they were still drawing current, which means they probably weren't damaged. Switch your power supply over to 12V, and you should be okay.

If you really want to be safe, see if you can see any labels or markings on either of the fans themselves - they should have a model number or something else that would indicate what voltage they're designed for.

You guys are always so damn helpful. That's why I love this forum. Unfortunately I'm back hone, 4 hours from my cameras. I'll bring up a 12V power supply next time I'm there to try it.

Thanks Again Guys,

Chris

Just to update you guys. I contacted Videolarm and they rewrote to manual to correctly reflect 12V DC. If you check out the link in the original post, you'll see it has changed.

Of course I asked them question and of course that question wasn't answered. I sent them another email asking them that question again. I'm just waiting for a response.

Hey Guys,

Just an Update on the situation:

Went to where I have my cameras this past weekend and connected a 12VDC 5A power adapter to the enclosure and nothing powered up. I guess the 24VAC adapter burned out the fans, heater, circuit board or all three. I emailed the manufacturer today and they will send me a new enclosure and I have 30 days to send back my damaged one. I'll definitely test that one first with a 12V adapter and hopefully that will work. It sucks that I will have to take the enclosure down and swap everything out, but at least the company is taking responsibility.

Thanks again for all you help,

Chris