niceguymr

Can live video capture be stored to a cloud or other offsite

I would imagine that this is dependent on which particular model of DVR. Right now I'm considering between a QSee QT426 and an Dahua Pro 16, but my question is... Can you have live video that is being recorded store onto a cloud or other offsite storage accessible via the internet?

To me the reason one might want to do this seems obvious, but in case I need to explain - Let's say a burglar/intruder discovers your CCTV equipment and is able to disable or worse, steal it. Then you would be left with no evidence. It would seem ideal if the video that was being captured were actually being stored offsite.

So if this is really dependent on the hardware (DVR), can anyone tell me what sub $1k 16ch DVRs have this capability? In particular, I'm curious about the more commonly known/discussed brands including QSee and Dahua.

This idea is discussed here pretty regularly... whether it's POSSIBLE is dependent on the DVR... whether it's FEASIBLE is dependent on your internet connection. 16 channels' worth of video is going to be substantial data, requiring not just enough bandwidth, but enough of a bandwidth limit: most ISPs will have monthly limits on your data usage, and it will be very easy to exceed that doing this.

A better idea is to hide the DVR somewhere and access it remotely or via KVM extender, or to use external storage (USB/network/etc.) and hide that somewhere.

If you can code using BASH and rent a VPS for $50 you can do off site storage pretty easily.

I have the FTP feature on my DVR upload to my VPS. The VPS runs a script that deletes files older than a set number of days so I don't run out of storage.

As discussed above, and and easier solution, would be to have an external drive hidden someplace, or a 2nd computer in the house with additional storage and an ftp server.