stephanovich

What difference in Blue and Red IR LED`s ?

Hi...hope I`m posting in the right place

I recently bought and set up a cctv system in my back yard in order to find out who was/is dumping large amounts of rubbish around 4 times a week in the dead of night...and after just 2 days I saw that it was coming from next door...as there is only one person living there it has to be him,so,problem solved but I haven`t been able to catch him full frontal,yet...

because ot the red glow of the cams,and because he`s not stupid (just very sly and sneaky ) I can`t face the cameras directly on him and so I got a blue led cam so I can point it directly at him...

but here`s where I could really do with some advice from you guy`s...I guess too,I`m gonna have to lower my expectations

...it seems to me that the blue led cam doesn`t see as well as the normal IR cam and I`m asking if anybody will be kind enough to spare the time to talk about the differences and limitations in operation here between the blue and red IR...my "blue led cam" is of 8 metres range but just seems very fuzzy,even up close and seem to be a little blinded by window light nearby whereas the red IR sees clearly all the time,although they are of greater range capability...

hope someone can advise...

I`ve read up a little and understand some of the problem but from what I can see there`s not much info for the layman that I can find...another difficulty is that the "covert" no glow cam is possibly going to be seen physically...not the glow itself but just the fact of the camera being in the range and position needed to catch this guy full face in order to be identified...

I`d still appreciate any input or explanations of limitations etc regarding the blue leds...

and any suggestions on what to use or where to go ?

the "blue" led cam I have is a 940nm sony "bullet" type but I`ve wondered about some of the wildlife cameras that are available...has anybody used these ?

Most camera sensors are less sensitive to the "invisible" 940 nm IR, and the LEDs are less efficient as well, so you get lower performance for the same price overall. Also, analog cameras are limited in how much detail you can get in a particular field of view. IP cams are a big improvement, but are a good bit more expensive.

Facial recognition on night shots is tricky, as many cameras have trouble exposing the images correctly compared to day shots, and it's not uncommon to have a person washed out if they're too close to the IR illuminator. Some models have intelligent IR that helps compensate for this.

I find the 850 nm IR with the dull red glow isn't that noticeable unless the area is pitch black. In any case, if the guy knows there's a camera watching, you'd think he'd stop dumping - problem solved. Likewise, a motion detect light could help dissuade him.

Another option would be to use a separate IR illuminator off to the side, away from where he'd be looking, but still pointed to illuminate him for the camera. You can get pretty decent illuminators as low as $15-20 if you don't need a lot of range, and they go up quickly from there.

Many thanks for this reply and information...I`ve actually had to send the 940nm camera I had back to the suppliers as there were several faults from a loose internal connection to moisture collecting on the inner/underside of the glass lens...(not condusive to clear images) so perhaps that was some of the problem...I`ll read up on IP cameras too.

On the plus side,I did manage to get the camera to within a decent range of him and although I didn`t get a clear facial image,I did get other identifying features...it`s really just for my own satisfaction now that I want the clear facial image as there`s almost enough to give to the police now...I have a months footage of him exiting his rear door and dumping large amounts of household rubbish in my garden...the "why he does it ?" is another query altogether ...he`s always been pleasant to my face,is a professional man and outwardly very respectable,but now he lives alone and by the amount of bottles coming over,he has a hefty drink problem,so who knows why...he won`t be doing it much longer and is in for a mighty shock when the knock on his door arrives ...pardon the gossip !

I'm going to go out on a limb here and give a different side to the story and play devils advocate.

From a law Enforcement side where I deal with stuff like this frequently , why don't you just ask him if he is dumping the trash in your garden and then ask him why? I doubt the Police will do much about it and the fine will be minimal. Would you rather piss off the neighbor that you may be living next to for years and then worry about "revenge" after he has to pay a fine and possibly community service or jail time? Just ask the dude why he is doing it and say you caught him already but you wanted to avoid the embarrassment to him by calling the Police. He may be cool with you and apologize and be done with it. Tell him to go to the other neighbors yard

That or run a camera closer to where he is dumping and hide it in a planter or something

Well I know what you are saying pal251 but there is a lot more which I`ve not mentioned here...criminal damage and theft on a number of occasions and the fact that around 6/7 months ago I mentioned to this guy what was going on with this issue...I live in a small cul-de-sac and there`s too many sly and mysterious instances of damage gone on to place it here...I am not the type of guy to get someone nicked...but there`s a limit to what is acceptable...leastways that`s how I feel at the moment and picking up human excrement ain`t something that endears me to feeling charitable...perhaps I`ll ponder some ways of giving him an "open door" or way out so to speak but I ain`t crazy about it....

I`m aware this isn`t an airing of grievances forum so I`ll apologise for going off on a tangent here...initially I posted in order to learn/find some information about 850nm and 940nm cameras and have sidetracked in order to explain why and what I want to know...henceforth I shall refrain from gossip...

hi. another way is to setup a security light and a camera to give you the light you need. put 1 as close to your problem area as possable.

you can pick these up for £40 no power needed. and along with a good camera you should get the footage you need.

UK police now use SPO officers to domestic problems and they are limited to what they can do. so the better your images the more you can do.

190873_1.jpg

190873_2.jpg

190873_2.jpg

I`m impressed with the quality of this image...(at first I thought for long time that a fox was responsible...some territorial type thing or something...even discounting large bottles and huge bags of food/rubbish/excrement,as I couldn`t imagine a grown adult doing a thing so pettily malicious).

I considered the "deterrent" route but was curious to know who this was once I realised it was deliberately being done and got the cctv etc...now I know I will be making sure it`s all visible...I must say that I`ve learned a lot whilst the above has been going on and the technological gadgets etc I`ve seen are remarkable,easily available and generally affordable for the public...thermal imaging aside !