pourem1

DVR Display is Black & White on a Plasma TV

I posted this under home DVR systems but I think this might apply to a more general post:

So I have a Night Owl Poseidon 8 Channel DVR and I'm having a problem. It was working just fine on an older tube style TV. Now I got a Panasonic TC-P42X3 Plasma Screen TV and now all I get is a black and white picture. Just to make sure I downloaded a couple of video clips to a USB stick and they play in color on my computer.

I called Night Owl tech support but they are completely useless. Panasonic is no better. From what I understand if the DVR is not set to NTSC the picture can appear black & white. I checked and it is set to NTSC. The TV does not have a setting for NTSC / PAL but the manual shows that there are two modes: NTSC and ATSC.

The DVR only has two ways to connect to the TV: One is a BNC to RCA connection (this cable was included). The other is a VGA out. Since my TV doesn't have a VGA input I am wondering if I bought a VGA to HDMI cable do you think this would solve my problem? Has anyone come across this before?

I will have to check when I get back. Funny how Night Owl and Panasonic didn't ask me that. I do know that there are only two RCA Video inputs and one is being used by an old DVD player. I did just recently tried to switch them and either it didn't work at all or it was still black and white. That's why I was thinking of trying a VGA to HDMI connection.

Very strange. VGA to HDMI *should* work, but from looking around online, it's probably gonna cost you at least $50 to find out. Since VGA is an analog signal and HDMI is digital, it requires a converter box, not just a cable adapter.

Depends if your TV supports that input. Some newer ones I've seen don't have component at all. The input would also have to support R/G/B signal from the VGA, vs Y/Pb/Pr used for component video. Most SHOULD, but you'll want to make sure.

I'm not sure. I will have to look.

A lot of trouble to go through to figure out something that the manufacturer should provide support for. Just spoke to them earlier and they are in left field.

So the TV does have video in L&R Audio + one Video and component audio video connections (5).

So the TV does have video in L&R Audio + one Video and component audio video connections (5).

hi. can you post a pic of the connections on your tv ........... you need to have a yellow video in rca. some also need 3 RCAs (red green blue) for video which will not work for you.

190159_1.jpg

that's what I have it connected to. Only black and white.

then like soundy says something is odd. so i would start to look at the simple things. the lead you have is it right i.e video to centre pin ground to outer ...... is ground connected. you may just have a faulty lead.

and also have you set colour settings on tv.

do you have another tv or lead to test on. or just a portable DVD player with video in just to test.

So I just connected the unit to a portable DVD player like you suggested and it works fine. Displays in color like its supposed to. The BNC to RCA cable that was supplied with the unit seems to be okay. I'm starting to think the TV and DVR are a mismatch. I'll try a VGA to Component cable if you think that will work.

That image only shows one Composite input. You cannot use the BNC output from the DVR with the Component input of the HDTV. Just because the jack fits, doesn't mean it will work. You have to use the composite video input, which should be designated with a yellow jack. If the jack is red, green, blue, or white, you don't have the right one in use.

As for the VGA to component cables being recommended, those won't work. Again, just because it fits doesn't mean it works. There are a rare few devices that output the correct signal to use that cable. Mostly ATI graphics cards for computers. Even then, you need a special adapter, not just a simple cable. That VGA to 3 RCA cable is intended for older CRT monitors.

As for the VGA to component cables being recommended, those won't work. Again, just because it fits doesn't mean it works. There are a rare few devices that output the correct signal to use that cable. Mostly ATI graphics cards for computers. Even then, you need a special adapter, not just a simple cable. That VGA to 3 RCA cable is intended for older CRT monitors.

Not necessarily true. As I noted before, IF the TV accepts RGB on the component inputs, as well as the standard YPbPr component signal, then it should work. In fact, I'm using that exact setup with an HTPC and my NEC plasma. I did have to go into the settings and tell the TV that the component inputs were RGB rather than YPbPr.

Rather than go nuts over this I will pick up a cable and try it to see if it works. I will let everyone know how it turns out. You guys have been really great. Thanks for all your input.