nellson

Home Security in Cul-De-Sac, GeoVision?

I am looking for some experienced advice in doing security in my own home Cul-de-sac using a PC based system. I have scanned around and found Geovision's GV-800 card and software, and liked the look from what I can get on their site. The price range for a 4 camera setup (using a mix of camera styles to get the coverage I want) seems affordable.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has used this system (good or bad) and any advice on how well it would lend itself to a Neighborhood watch attendant. (I intent to watch only the exterior facads of all 9 houses in my neighborhood + the street ingress point, and would like to make the video data available to my neighbors over my DSL (I am a network geek, so that part is easy if I can get to the video)

Anyone want to chime in? Does this system work well, or should I avoid it?

Nick

It will work fine if you know how to properly configure the DVR side. Sounds like your bigest expense is going to be the cameras and mounting locations. Cheap cameras off of Ebay wont cut it, you would be very disappointed. If budget permits, checkout the ExtremeCCTV camera line.

Basically it all depends on the installation and CCTV knowledge going into the project. Utilizing your own personal DSL to serve the other neighbors is probably not something you are going to be happy doing due to network congestion, you may wish to address the neighborhood to purchase a dedicated service (DSL, Cable, T1 etc) so you don't have to suffer at your end trying to surf the net. You will also achieve a much better video stream quality when viewing remotely.

scottj

Yeah, the camera end is an interesting search. If I can count on the GeoVision software to atleast get the data recorded, and offer a few features for motion detection and such (mostly just the basics) then for me it will be how to get the area covered reasonably well.

I worked out the neighborhood sharing I think, I added a 3rd SSID to my wireless network, so atleast they get local access to the cams without using the DSL. (Using 802.1x/Peap)

I'll look at the cam site. I need to try and keep the costs down as I am doing this myself for my own benefit, the neighbors just all agreed they liked the idea and didn't mind me catching the profiles of their houses. So I figure $1,500 is all I can really dump into it at first. in total. So I thought an 8 input card, just incase I will add on. Then find two good outdoor coverage cams for the front of my house, and one wide angle for my own back yard. And then I was thinking either 1 indoor garage cam or entry way cam for internal use.

Had originally looked at PalmVid.com sore the card/cam's/cable, Anyone here got a better choice?

Nick

I got my Gv-800 (4) from Palmvid. Been happy with it. I have 2 cameras in my apartment (one on the main entrance, other watching where financial documents and firearms are kept (that way I have proof of WHO took them should it occur)). My other 2 cameras cover the parking lot (one zoomed in on the entrance to get a license plate (very important) and the other is a wide shot of where I generally park.)

I got all my cameras off ebay stores. If I had to buy again, I'd have spent the extra money and gone with better cameras. But it works for my taste, for the moment. Upgrading as I got extra funds.

There are a lot of people here who have vast experience with different cameras. A few things to mention to help get a better informed response: distance from mount to target range, and existing lighting. Also do you want a general viewing image, or a high resolution (prosecutable) image?

I have seen the Geovision units and they look quite good, the best thing is that you will only need to give them access to the HTML server, so they can hardly wreck the software.

Keep in mind that it is the Up speed that matters more than the down and I agree to stear away from cheaper cameras, another option would be to offer each person a wireless internet connection (if it is legal to share) and also offer them a web server hardware device, this way you can still record for them and they can use the device themselves to look at things as well as them feeling glad that it is mounted on their own property, this should also remove the need for public mounting of devices and long range lenses.