security1guy

Installing Multi-Megapixel Camera in shoping center parking

Hello folks,

I am intending to install a Multi-Megapixel camera in a small shopping center. (please see the attached picture). power can be provided to the location of the camera. but no wiring is available. so I am thinking to use a wireless connection from the camera location to the data center inside the building.

all cameras are supposed to monitor and record all moving objects inside the parking lot of the shopping center.

Please i need your best recommendation and valuable suggestion on what type of camera I can use for this project and what reliable system configuration .

Thank you in advance for your help.

55746396_newlocation-Small.jpg.94d203ef287506a42838f402f9b90538.jpg

I have installed few IP Cams on some projects they range between 2 - 5 Megapixel.

as you can see in the picture for that parking lot , it is totally different application and different angle since the required camera must cover the whole area when motion occurred in the parking lot. need to identify vehicles or person when recorded by the camera.

Thanks for your quick glance at my subject.

There's no way you'll do it with a single camera, not if you want any sort of identification possible.

You're looking at probably at least three cameras at that location to get decent coverage of the lot... then I'd suggest another for EACH entry/exit driveway, ON the building, with a tight view on the driveway to catch plates coming and going - that's your best bet for actually identifying any vehicles.

There's no way you'll do it with a single camera, not if you want any sort of identification possible.

You're looking at probably at least three cameras at that location to get decent coverage of the lot... then I'd suggest another for EACH entry/exit driveway, ON the building, with a tight view on the driveway to catch plates coming and going - that's your best bet for actually identifying any vehicles.

Thank you for your inputs.

If you noticed in my original question, i mentioned Multi-Megapixel I am sure with only one camera , i won't get a whole coverage for the all parking lot.

actually there are about four entrance for that parking lot, 2 in the middle and the other 2 entrance are on the side of the lot.

I am looking at this type of camera

190531_1.png

Thanks for getting back to me but you didn't answer my question. Which manufacture cameras and VMS have you used?

What is the budget for this project? I have cameras that can give you 50-60PPF on every square inch of this parking lot but my bet is your customer doesn't have the budget.

As Soundy points out mounting 2 cameras on the main building with tight FOVs to cover your exits with and other cameras for general coverage of your lot will be the most cost effective solution.

This 3xlogic camera is a single imager 360 camera and will be usless in a parking lot this big. You can't ID anyone in that tiny gas station with good lighting so their is no way it would do any good in a parking lot.

190539_1.png

This 3xlogic camera is a single imager 360 camera and will be usless in a parking lot this big. You can't ID anyone in that tiny gas station with good lighting so their is no way it would do any good in a parking lot.

Because the parking lot is relatvily narrow a few of 3xLogic's 180 degree cameras installed on the building might work?

http://www.3xlogic.com/xview

180 - Not 360. Did you scroll down to the bottom of the link I sent?

No I didn't but that is a Arecont 180 camera not 3xlogic

Arecont 180 cameras would be a good choice for general coverage but reliability can be a issue with them.

A 180 at that signpost might be a suitable option instead of two or three others for an overview of the lot, but you'll still need something at the driveways to ID.

Fact is, it will be pretty close to impossible, regardless of cost, to cover the entire lot with the resolution needed for facial ID; you're just not going to be IDing people in that area. What you need to do is get a "decent" overview of activity so you can full track movements of people and vehicles in the lot, then capture the vehicle ID at the choke points: the driveways that everyone must use coming and going. If you need additional detail on people, your best bet is using the choke points that they must go through: the mall doors.

Thanks for getting back to me but you didn't answer my question. Which manufacture cameras and VMS have you used?

What is the budget for this project? I have cameras that can give you 50-60PPF on every square inch of this parking lot but my bet is your customer doesn't have the budget.

As Soundy points out mounting 2 cameras on the main building with tight FOVs to cover your exits with and other cameras for general coverage of your lot will be the most cost effective solution.

190539_1.png

Thank you again for your good information.

here's one of the cams i have used http://avsipcctv.com/sites/default/files/images/hd1024p/HD212VIR1.png?1317225827

using AVS VMS.

could you please send me information about the camera you are suggesting above.

Unfortunately customer's budget is very slim for this project.

Mobotix D14-180 would give you 6MP total resolution in a wide format at a reasonable price. You won't be able to ID a face futher than maybe 15-20'. You are better off with a 1080P PTZ speed dome like an Axis Q6035-E and have it go on patrol to cover various areas. At least with a 20X zoom, you can ID a face few hundred feet away. I'm wrapping up my review on the Axis Q6035-E this week for sure.

As for Stardot, check this out different times of day - http://mountaininfo.com/arrowheadcamera.html It's in a parking lot with adequate lighting. Here you'll be able to see how well the Stardot Netcam XL's work at night under similar conditions, which is not so great.

Thank you again for your good information.

here's one of the cams i have used http://avsipcctv.com/sites/default/files/images/hd1024p/HD212VIR1.png?1317225827

using AVS VMS.

could you please send me information about the camera you are suggesting above.

Unfortunately customer's budget is very slim for this project.

Sir that information given to you is about as useful as a pack of mints.

Use it only if your breath smells that bad.

Mobotix D14-180 would give you 6MP total resolution in a wide format at a reasonable price. You won't be able to ID a face futher than maybe 15-20'. You are better off with a 1080P PTZ speed dome like an Axis Q6035-E and have it go on patrol to cover various areas. At least with a 20X zoom, you can ID a face few hundred feet away. I'm wrapping up my review on the Axis Q6035-E this week for sure.

As for Stardot, check this out different times of day - http://mountaininfo.com/arrowheadcamera.html It's in a parking lot with adequate lighting. Here you'll be able to see how well the Stardot Netcam XL's work at night under similar conditions, which is not so great.

thank you buellwinkle, i have check on that camera you suggested it looks good to serving the main purpose of the project.

I think a better option then a PTZ camera on guard tour would be a couple of 180 cameras and fixed cameras with tight shots on the exits. You are going to miss lots of action with that PTZ unless you have a 24/7 operator.

The Q60 PTZ will give you 1080P resolution and with a wide shot, you can use the Gatekeeper feature that will zoom in and track any movement. You can have it patrol say between 3 presets that may cover the entire parking lot at wide angle. This would give you the coverage you need but automatically zoom in on the detail you need.

Every 180 camera I've seen is good for about 10-15' max to ID someone, even with 3-4MP 180 degree cameras. With the Mobotix at 6MP, maybe 15-20'.

There is one other possibility, but it's not outdoor ready yet but soon. Using a 180 degree camera like the ACTi KCM-3911 you'll get a wide panoramic view of the lot, but clearly not be able to ID someone. But, on a motion event, it can trigger their PTZ dome to zoom in on the action all without a PC or NVR. Was very effective as they were demo'ing it at ISC in a crowded convention center and was working quite well.

The Q60 PTZ will give you 1080P resolution and with a wide shot, you can use the Gatekeeper feature that will zoom in and track any movement.

How well do you think this will work with 100 cars in the parking lot and 100 people walking around?

couple of 180 cameras and fixed cameras with tight shots on the exits.

+1.