I have a camera installed in my garden using cat5 and a balun, 1 pair for the balun and 1 pair for the power.

I now want to install another camera further down the garden using cat5, would I be able to twist 2 pairs at the junction box and fit a balun at the camera end? or would I need to fit a balun at both ends and use a male coupler to connect the 2 cat5 cables/baluns?

You can simply connect the extended cable to your existing one BUT -

1) make sure you solder the joint

2) Make sure you use the same pair ( they have differnt twist ratios )

3) Make sure you join the right end of the extended cable to keep the twist in the same direction

4) You may experience some signal degradation depending on the length of the run

5) Make sure it is waterproof.

Hi. you can use these at your existing camera to attach your new lenth of cat5 to your existing cat5 for both video and power to your new location and then just use baluns at new camera and at DVR

190555_1.jpg

Having done exactly what the OP is looking to do, several times... don't get hung up on which pair you use, or matching twists, or anything like that. Balanced video over baluns REALLY isn't that picky. Solder if you really feel like it, but that's overkill - I've generally used beanie connectors (gel-filled type for outdoors) and never had a problem with them.

As far as signal degradation over the length of the run: if you're using a single pair for power, chances are the voltage drop will be such that the camera stops working, LONG before there's any noticeable change in image quality.