I found these:

http://www.connecttech.net/default.php?cPath=237

But it specifically states it's for data, not video...

I guess they say that because it's 50 ohm? But I think analog video will work on 50 ohm connectors.

**add**

OH... Here's what Leviton says:

50 Ohm BNC connector on a 75 Ohm cable

Can I put a 50 Ohm BNC connector on a 75 Ohm cable?

50 Ohm BNC connectors on 75 Ohm cable have little effect on the signal between frequencies below 300 MHz on analog equipment.

I have access to a Cat5 video balun that takes Cat5 and turns it into BNC Male. But it also has the option of plugging a Cat5 plug into the one end and off the other end it accepts screw down wire terminals. So if the video feed on the RJ-11 was only on 2 wires, can't I go into the screw down terminal, which turn into a Cat5 plug, then into the balun, and out to BNC?

Here is the order:

2 Wire Screw Down Terminal ------- Cat5 Male ---------Cat5 female (end of balun)------------BNC Male (other end of balun)

Does my english make sense? LOL. Would this work?

I think I know what you're saying. And yes that sounds right. You should be able to just plug your RJ11 plug into the jack as well. The center pins are the same for the EIA/TIA 568 and USOC standards.

Just use the video from your wire, yellow and green or whatever 2 wires it is, same thing no matter what wire you use. Its all composite video.

But the telco wire end could be an issue. What type of system is the telco end coing from??

But the telco wire end could be an issue. What type of system is the telco end coing from??

Yeah, you mean because it isn't twisted?

Yeah, you mean because it isn't twisted?

No, because of what type of system it is coming from, and the distance from that system, and where it is going. Basically sounds like you are splicing a telco wire, into a RG59 Cable, or this balun going right onto a monitor?

The problem is that I really don't fully understand the system, I'm trying to help them over the phone. He bought a monitor and quad from me but if I understand right, the RJ-11 comes from the camera and plugs into the monitor. I'm wondering if its some proprietary type equipment/hookup. He is trying to make it work so that the RJ-11, converts to BNC to go into the Quad.

I should have more info tomorrow, maybe even have the equipment in front of me.

Well ive converted one of those before, where the camera gets power from the monitor. This is how its done.

Excuse me its been 4 years or so.

There should be video, positive, ground, audio - 4 wires like yellow, red, black, green.

Its going to be splice mess just to mention.

Anyway, colors may differ also.

Yellow goes to the Coax Center.

Red either goes to a new power supply positive end, or keep on into the monitor.

Green goes to audio somwhere.

All blacks tie together, and splice it into each outgoing ground wire.

So depends what exactly he is doing, but seems these cameras get power from the monitor, at least the system I converted did. You can take it off that and buy a universal power supply, as I think they use 15VDC, so you have to set it to that. Then you can also utilize the audio, and ofcourse connect the video to anything you want.

Rory

So depends what exactly he is doing, but seems these cameras get power from the monitor, at least the system I converted did. You can take it off that and buy a universal power supply, as I think they use 15VDC, so you have to set it to that. Then you can also utilize the audio, and ofcourse connect the video to anything you want.

Rory

Oh, now I gotch ya. I pictured securitymonster trying to use an existing cabling system for his cameras. I didn't even think of those proprietary systems.

There are a couple of adapters on this page that may be what you are looking for

http://www.adtek.net/OBSaccessories.html

Doug L

I'm looking for a converter that will allow me to take the telephone type jack plug and convert them into a BNC plug. Somebody mentioned the word "Haystack"?

Any info?