voip-ninja

A question about 12V power for PoE cams

So, I've been doing a ton of research on newer generation fixed dome cameras with day/night capability, and outside ratings, as a replacement for my Panasonic PTZs which are great cameras, but limited to only VGA resolution and low light capabilities are pretty terrible.

One thing I keep running into with the weather rated cameras are notes that the fans and heaters only work with a 12V power supply. Currently, all of my cameras are driven off of class-3 PoE mid-span units, which can deliver up to 15.9 watts.

How would I provide power to remote locations for a camera that requires a 12V supply if all I have run is CAT5e or is it even possible?

Also, should I simply assume that ALL cameras with fans/heaters require 12V source? I just got a bit of a deal on a Vivotek 8361 on eBay, it's not clear from the specs if the fan/heater on this unit require 12V but I'm going to assume it does.

Thanks.

How would I provide power to remote locations for a camera that requires a 12V supply if all I have run is CAT5e or is it even possible?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=poe+splitter

Also, should I simply assume that ALL cameras with fans/heaters require 12V source?

Never assume anything - remember when we ASSUME, we make an ASS of U and ME

I just got a bit of a deal on a Vivotek 8361 on eBay, it's not clear from the specs if the fan/heater on this unit require 12V but I'm going to assume it does.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vivotek+fd8361

For protection against the elements, the camera is furnished with an IP66-rated housing and vandal-proof casing to withstand rain, dust, and vandalism. The PoE-powered heater and fan further enhance the FD8361's performance and reliability in extremely cold and warm weather.

Cool deal Matt, that's what I had seen too but after running into virtually every other camera indicating that the PoE did not drive the fan/heater I was coming to the conclusion that none of them did.

I will look at the link you provided for a power solution. I am interested in possibly trying one of the 1.3 MP Samsung cameras when Synology supports them and they only support fan/heater over 12V apparently.

Good one with the "let me google that for you" link, I've used that myself in the past!

I guess that I did not realize that the term for such a device was a "poe splitter", I was doing searches for 12V power injectors with cat5 and having pretty crappy search results.