cgcmgr

What is wrong with this camera?

Hey Guys,

Purchased this 650TVL (color) Effio-E camera and mounted it this weekend. The picture is horrible. There are so many artifacts. I expected a real nice clear picture. I accessed the on board menu and went through the settings before I mouted it and set it up the way I thought it would look best. Obviously the picture sucks. The camera is connected to a computer Video Capture Card not a DVR. I use Blue Iris Software to view it. I adjusted the Color, Hue, Contrast, etc. through the card's drivers and still a horrible picture. Do you think the camera is bad? Can it be a bad connection? Here are some pictures. The camera was $100.

1st picture is the camera I replaced with the camera in question, but in a different location. It's a cheap $30 camera.

2nd picture is camera in question at night

3rd picture is the camera in question during the day.

The camera is model #HE-VIB36-70. A Google search brings up a lot of hits.

Front.20120508_080155.jpg.b2eb477a3f0812b504698a1f4243c495.jpg

Front.20120505_232000.jpg.5ffa5a07472098e9475d9bffd817fda5.jpg

Hunt.20120508_080552.jpg.92be2e73bac9c5b20d798bb479edd56b.jpg

What capture card are you using? Looks like a big part of the blame lies with the card itself.

I accessed the on board menu and went through the settings before I mouted it and set it up the way I thought it would look best.

Before you hung it? How could you know? Best to install and then adjust.

I adjusted the Color, Hue, Contrast, etc. through the card's drivers and still a horrible picture

Could be you adjusted for the worse. Try defaulting everything out and see what that gives you. Looks like you may have saturation super high. That will work against you if you boost that too high just for more vivid color.

Looks like the sharpness may be too high which can hurt the picture. Also you said artifacts are a problem, that has a lot more to do with the DVR Card than the camera. As far as adjusting colors and such, its always best to do that at the camera than the DVR card.

Here are some tops with the Effio OSD:

- Dont turn you gain way up, keep it at .25 or .50, otherwise you will have noise

- In the Day/Night Settings, be sure to leave the color burst as on, or the picture may look noisey, especially at night

- Turn the ATR off and see what that does

- Play with the cameras sharpness settings, Some DVR's/monitors can take more than others

The last pic looks like a cheap cam with no ICR (IR cut filter). Results in color being off during the day.

The last pic looks like a cheap cam with no ICR (IR cut filter). Results in color being off during the day.

Funny, I was thinking the first cam had that same kinda washed-out look...

This cam does have a IR cut filter. I'm starting to second guess myself as to what my settings are on this cam. I hate being 4 hours from my cameras. The first cam is a cheap cam just holding a spot for a better camera.

I couldnt find on the specs that it had an IR cut filter.

You're right....I posted too fast. I was thinking of a different camera I was working with this weekend. Do you think that could be the problem? I can't imagine a 650tvl camera looking like that. Do you know what the default settings are for the Effio-E or does it depend on the manufacturer of the camera? I ask this because I just realized I hit "reset to defaults" and saved it before I mounted it. Why? I don't know. I'm wondering if the default settings just aren't any good.

It all depends from the manufacturer. They flash the chip to their preferred settings before sending out. Your right, your camera shouldnt look that noisey. Not sure what the problem is here.

Hi cgcmgr.

The purple colour between the trees and sky is chromatic aberration (usually called Purple Fringing - see wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing). It's caused by the lens mis-focussing the blue/purple colours, which the camera CCD then displays. Either reposition the camera so it sees less sky, or get a camera with a better lens.

The pictures from your new camera are very blocky, and show a lot of aliasing (wiki again, I am feeling lazy! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing - see how jagged the power line is? Is the capture card set to a low resolution like CIF? Take SEANHAWG's advice, and adjust the sharpness down a bit. Maybe some blurring will reduce the jaggies. In my opinion, your first camera provides a much nicer picture.

I had a look at the camera specs, but it only mentioned the day/night feature. Nothing about a mechanically removable IR-cut filter. Without this filter, the day time colours will appear a bit washed out. It's not too bad when compared against the first camera.

Thanks for all the help guys.....I'll be at my camera location on Memorial Day weekend and try to fix it then. I'll keep you posted

Hey Guys,

Just an update. I got to my cameras this past weekend and started making adjustments through the camera's menu. Nothing I did fixed the problem. I then installed my old capture card (a PV-183, I bought from bluecherry.net) and the camera still looked bad. Turning the sharpness down helped, but it left the picture very washed out. I guess its just not that good of a camera.

Chris