martynh99

Storage Options home cctv basic - maplins

Hi, i bought one of these kits from Maplin and it suits my requirements but I have one gripe, and thats the backup function.

Ideally I want to take all video files and backup them up to my pc, the backup option on the device allows you to search a time period for recordings and then copy to them to USB but it only allows 6 at a time, so to backup a day with 30 min interval files i have to do this in 8 stages, each one taking considerable time.

The other option is via the web gui from a pc but that is worse in that you can only back 1 file up at a time.

I can telnet to the box but have no id/password combo to login (hopeful there will be a ftp/tftp cli cmd in there)

Has anybody got the id/password to telnet into the box ?

Has anybody got the id/password to telnet into the box ?

hi. you cant load anything onto your maplins dvr. is there a reason why you need to take backup all footage. ?? is it not best just letting the dvr do its job and only remove when needed ?

hi. you cant load anything onto your maplins dvr. is there a reason why you need to take backup all footage. ?? is it not best just letting the dvr do its job and only remove when needed ?

Hi

It's twofold really, the first is novelty of a new toy but that will wear off, the second is the main reason we got the cctv and that is we are having problems with kids with footballs, playing cricket, running round cars on private property with sticks, rackets etc resulting in damage to cars. Parents have been spoken to, police visits made but still it persists so now collecting evidence using cameras - would just like to be able to back all files up on daily basis regardless so that they can be reviewed at leisure in case the hard drive packs up in the DVR.

You might consider setting the dvr for motion recording and record 15 minute blocks rather than 30. Then see if it can be set to the shortest post-motion recording time- 30 seconds. That will help manage file sizes better, save hd space, and make it easier for you to search events that you may really need to pull off for evidence. Otherwise you'll be doing a heck of a lot of work pulling off all those files for mostly nothing. Tweak the motion recording really well like I mention, review larger size files- an indication of prolonged recording- on the dvr or remotely from the dvr, and back up only what you need.