pal251

wiring in attic?

How do you guys do.the wiring in the attic? Lay the cables on the insulation (cat 5 and power cable) or do you staple them to the trusses. Other option is one big piece of conduit going through center of attic and branch out when needed which seems overkill but neater.

I plan on putting flex conduit or rigid in the walls and it could possibly make it easier to.run.a néw cable in case I add another or have to replace a cable

Staple gun it to the trusses if you can, just to keep it out of the way. I wouln't put conduit in, there's just no need, even the AC wires in most attics aren't in conduits.

You can staple it or you could do like my father in law did and use J-hooks on every truss. He liked the idea of being able to replace wires or add wires easily. Actually he has two rows of j-hooks, one for power and one for... well, everything else (surround sound, network, phone, etc.)

You can staple it or you could do like my father in law did and use J-hooks on every truss. He liked the idea of being able to replace wires or add wires easily. Actually he has two rows of j-hooks, one for power and one for... well, everything else (surround sound, network, phone, etc.)

" title="Applause" />

Good call, j-hooks would be nice in an attic especially if you're planning on running more wires in the future.

Something like this: Click Me!

I buy from these guys alllllllll the time, and they are generally pretty quick and very reasonably priced. There are of course local sources for stuff like this (Grainger, Rexel, Capital Tri-State, etc.) but a j-hook is a j-hoo. I like use the poly coated hooks just to keep a little extra stress off the cables.

Here is a picture for those who don't click the link:

191483_1.jpg

It's good that you are thinking about it before you do it. Planning is the key to a successful installation.

I have run cable tray in an attic before now but that was an exception due to the nature of the building.

Indoor trunking the type where the top snaps into place is quite useful if people will regularly use the space.

191666_1.jpg

Most electricians run cable through the center of joists. The center line is the best place to drill as it has the

minimum effect on the strength of joists being neither in tension nor compression.

I use Arlington TL20 loop cable hangers. They're a bit more secure than J hooks in that the top clips together to form a complete loop so there's no chance of a cable being accidentally knocked out. Whether you use these or plain old J-hooks, you'll thank yourself the very first time you run an additional cable.

I always hammer in D-rings the path I'm going to take and than just lay the wire in them as I run it. Two rows of

rings for video and power are a bit anal, but to each their own. If you can do it, why the heck not? But if your

doing POE IP cameras or video baluns, all your gonna need is one row anyway.

197716_1.jpg

I always hammer in D-rings the path I'm going to take and than just lay the wire in them as I run it. Two rows of

rings for video and power are a bit anal, but to each their own. If you can do it, why the heck not? But if your

doing POE IP cameras or video baluns, all your gonna need is one row anyway.

197716_1.jpg

There are a lot of places where those won't work or you simply cannot swing a hammer. Personally I find those to be frustrating, but I am a little clumsy...