buellwinkle

REVIEW: Exacq Start NVR Software

I started a new series of reviews on software as this gets asked by people starting out second to what camera should I buy. I know there's many pro's on this forum that already went through the pain of selecting their favorite software, this is not for you.

I chose Exacq because it's one of the leading commercial NVR's out there and this is their "Start" version which is 1/3rd the price of their commercial products. Also because I get asked what about Macs. This has a Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android and IOS client. The server only runs on Linux or Windows.

It's also very resource friendly as it uses the camera's motion detect zones and settings. Ideal for an Atom processor server running on Ubuntu Linux.

http://ipcamnetwork.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the review. The lack of event alerts is a bummer, but my cameras can handle that so it's not a deal killer. Software updates limited to 90 days is another con that you didn't mention (unless I missed it). If I spend any amount of money on a piece of software I'd expect a little more than 90 days support. I guess if it works it doesn't matter, but I'd hate to get a Windows update on day 91 that breaks the VMS. Unfortunately if the ONVIF support doesn't work I can't even give it a chance, my cameras are not supported my make/model.

I hope you're not finished, I look forward to more software reviews.

How restrictive is the camera licensing? If I buy licenses for 4 cameras, am I free to delete/change/add cameras at will, as long as I don't go over 4 cameras, or does it lock the license to the camera MAC address? If the camera I want to use doesn't have on board motion detection, or the on board motion detection works poorly, can I set up motion detection for that camera to run on the Exacq server software? It's nice to see that they have a Mac client, thanks for mentioning that. Thanks for the review.

Kenny

It appears to lock the license to the MAC address in your computer, I guess their way of keeping you from getting one license and using it on multiple PC. The MAC address is easy enough to change in Windows through the registry. On Ubuntu Linux, there's a program called MACchanger you can download to do this.

As for cameras, if you have 4 camera license you can switch cameras all day long. I tested all sorts of cameras, not only the ones I have at home, but friends cameras, my cameras at my summer home remotely.

You can download the software and use it for 45 days with 4 cameras so you can try and see if it works with your cameras. But because the cameras are configured automagically and it takes motion detect settings from the camera, I would image it's not likely just any camera would work as it has to send comands to the camera to retrieve and each manfucturer is different.

How restrictive is the camera licensing? If I buy licenses for 4 cameras, am I free to delete/change/add cameras at will, as long as I don't go over 4 cameras, or does it lock the license to the camera MAC address? If the camera I want to use doesn't have on board motion detection, or the on board motion detection works poorly, can I set up motion detection for that camera to run on the Exacq server software? It's nice to see that they have a Mac client, thanks for mentioning that. Thanks for the review.

Kenny

With Exacq the camera licenses are assigned to the MAC address of the server you can switch cameras as may times as you want. Exacq does not have inboard motion if your cameras don't have inboard motion Exacq will record 24/7.

Overall not a bad review but you missed some of the issues that you could only figure out if you use the system for a extended period of time.

I do have a review request for you.. http://networkoptix.com/ They are new to the market and the have some very interesting software that runs on Cross-platform: Linux, Windows and Mac. Best part is your first 4 licenses are totally free.

Edited by Guest

The MAC address is easy enough to change in Windows through the registry. On Ubuntu Linux, there's a program called MACchanger you can download to do this.

Sorry but this does not work.

It's like people that do camera or car reviews. You only live with the car or camera for a few days, can't possibily know how it holds up in the long term or it's quirks, that's why comments from thewiredguys is allways appreciated.

Good to know that you can't spoof your way to another PC should yours fail. How quickly can they get you a new key if your computer dies and you want to start it up on another PC?

As for the Network Optix software, it has very limited camera support shown below and that's not enough of a comprehensive list for most people. Doesn't even support Avigilon and that won't fly with the top dogs

•Axis

•Arecont Vision

•IQInvision

•DLink

•Digital Watchdog

•Pulse

•Brickcom

•ISD

Edited by Guest

All u have to do is move Network card to another comp

Good idea, maybe just get a USB NIC that's just for license key purposes.

I started a new series of reviews on software as this gets asked by people starting out second to what camera should I buy. I know there's many pro's on this forum that already went through the pain of selecting their favorite software, this is not for you.

I chose Exacq because it's one of the leading commercial NVR's out there and this is their "Start" version which is 1/3rd the price of their commercial products. Also because I get asked what about Macs. This has a Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Android and IOS client. The server only runs on Linux or Windows.

It's also very resource friendly as it uses the camera's motion detect zones and settings. Ideal for an Atom processor server running on Ubuntu Linux.

http://ipcamnetwork.wordpress.com/

I LOVE YOU!

It's usually more complex than just a MAC address.

Most licensed software platforms use multiple components to tag the license to similar to how Windows does it.

Most licensed software platforms use multiple components to tag the license to similar to how Windows does it.

Yep

but Exacq is using only Mac

that why its easy to hack

Yep

What do you mean by this?

Exacq is multiple platform.

Overall not a bad review but you missed some of the issues that you could only figure out if you use the system for a extended period of time.

Can you share what these issues are? You don't have to go into details but a basic rundown of some of the issues that crop up would be of great help and be much appreciated by the thread readers and me.

Yep

MAC ADDRESS, not Macintosh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_address

Can you share what these issues are? You don't have to go into details but a basic rundown of some of the issues that crop up would be of great help and be much appreciated by the thread readers and me.

^^ you burned your bridge with me man.... You can pay me for my knowledge just like my customers do.... 125$ hour and for you I talk real slow

Yep

MAC ADDRESS, not Macintosh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_address

hahah

Thanks funny!

I totally misread what you were saying!

I'm not familiar at all with the licensing security/anti piracy features of the software so I wasn't thinking MAC when you used the world "Mac".

PS usually people say MAC all caps right... funny misread on my part! doh!

I'm not familiar at all with the licensing security/anti piracy features of the software so I wasn't thinking MAC when you used the world "Mac".

I was lazy to type whole name as "MAC Address"

but as u can see other forum members did understand

and next time I will be as slow with you as wireguys

if I ever talk to you

I was lazy to type whole name as "MAC Address"

but as u can see other forum members did understand

and next time I will be as slow with you as wireguys

if I ever talk to you

You have gone from PMing me your personal cell phone number to this!

Wow!

What the heck did I do to warrant this treatment!

I'm very very sorry you feel that way.

Usually people say MAC all caps. I was quickly scanning the posts as I'm working on other stuff at the same time and I have three monitors so sorry about the confusion. I just wanted to clarify that exacqVision is multi platform.

[The MAC address is easy enough to change in Windows through the registry]

exacq is a bit more clever and addresses the NIC hardware for mac

One good point about it is that camera is not embedded by its mac, but bad is that in case you remove camera from the system settings - you loose all recording

One good point about it is that camera is not embedded by its mac, but bad is that in case you remove camera from the system settings - you loose all recording

Add to that searching video is slow as molasses and you have two major issues most people don't realize until have the system.

Really, it looks so cute until you dive deeper into it )

i was told new modification will soon be launched, having "improved" search...let's see as 4.9 already was "improved"

Really, it looks so cute until you dive deeper into it )

That is exactly my point these quick reviews do not tell the full story. You have to use the VMS for a couple of months to fully understand them.

FYI 4.9 was not improved... they adding a thumbnail search which did nothing to fix the speed at which you can review video. You still have to wait for the video to be pulled from the server to the client which takes forever!