shawn2000

Avtech 780W DVR problem

I have just purchased an Avtech 780W DVR from a UK shop (online). Was really looking forward to getting it all set up and ready to record (mainly motion detection). This is the first DVR I have owned.

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_784w.htm

I installed all the wires and camera and then powered up but nothing seemed to really happen. I had no picture on the TV. Took me ages to find the problem. The instructions book is useless that comes with it. I removed the hard disk and noticed that the pins were not alligned with the rack, so I adjusted this and re-installed. It then worked, the quality seemed fine and the motion detection appeared to work nicely. Thinking I had now a working DVR I started to play around with it a little more but only to find that the picture would cut out and I would not be able to get it back. Even after turning off and then back on (which in itself takes ages to turn off!) there was still no picture output.

I removed the hard disk once again and pushed back in thinking it might be the disk not connecting properly I managed to get it working again, but the slighest movement to the unit would break it again! Some times I would get the HD light always on after re-installing the disk sometimes with a picture, sometimes without, but with no recording (hard disk problem message.) It's driving me mad, do I have a faulty unit or is there something that I should do that is not described in the instructions?

Any help would be great. Also... if I have to send this back then I might not want to get the same one again (depending on what you tell me about it), so is there a better one available for around the same price available in the UK?

Many thanks.

Shawn

Sounds like a faulty unit.

I have that same DVR and havent had any issues, I run it without a hard drive and works fine I put a hard drive in but forgot it had already been partitioned and ofcourse it wont work then cause it needs a Raw HDD, though the DVR took a few minutes to start up, it did come up and worked fine, just saw 0.0GB for the HDD. Been like that sitting half off the edge of another PC, im sure its been knocked around alot, and Ive moved it several times while it is on.

For the price, its one of the few you will find that doesnt crash, and has a browser based network server. There are a couple others out that dont have browser based, at the same cost, or a little more expensive, which have a better network client software, as far as multi view software goes. Basically its a good unit for the price.

Rory

send it back for a replacement no matter what. You may get it running today but you will have more problems down the road...........damaged goods are damaged goods.

You can also try it with another hard drive, just make sure its a raw drive, not partitioned or formatted.

thanks for the replies, I will first give it a go with another hard disk to rule out the hard disk being the problem. Then I will send it back for replacement. A real shame, was so looking forward to getting it all up and running by this weekend.

Thanks again!

Shawn

Also try it with no hard drive, like how I have mine, as it should also work without a HDD installed, though you will still need to test it with a HDD installed in case there is some issue with the connector inside.

most certainly a faulty unit. Even without the hard disk, it sometimes does not show a picture.

I managed to get it working again (with the hard disk installed) and gave it a gentle bump and it cut the picture right out again, so faulty for sure.

So, thanks for the great advise, will have to read around here more

Shawn

When you say picture, the whole thing, or just the video? I mean do you get any Text from the DVR on it, or theres totally no video?

If all video, then could be a loose BNC connection to the board inside, and you should send it back, they can get damaged in shipping, normally from improper shipping or handling.

Ok John, you just gave out your secret.

John is a Sales person for AVTECH in Taiwan. If anyone here needs any advice or help with AVTECH products, talk to him.

Ok John, you just gave out your secret.

John is a Sales person for AVTECH in Taiwan. If anyone here needs any advice or help with AVTECH products, talk to him.

Oh man Hermin, you just blow my under cover identity... :P

When you say picture, the whole thing, or just the video? I mean do you get any Text from the DVR on it, or theres totally no video?

If all video, then could be a loose BNC connection to the board inside, and you should send it back, they can get damaged in shipping, normally from improper shipping or handling.

No, it's the whole picture, dont get no menu options. However when I got it first working the menu text or the bit that says "booting" was all fuzzy and not readable, but then the menu appeared ok.

Shawn

Yeah sounds like could be something damaged inside, check John and see what he recommends.

You probably just should get it replaced by the dealer and let them worry about it.

Is there a way to reset the Avtech 780W DVR. I'm not sure what happened but when I go into the menu I'm logged in as user 7 and I can't figure out how to get back to the supervisor. When I click on user nothing happens. Any help would be great.

Thanks

You can reset to factory defaults in the menu programming, but you would have to do direct, not connected to the network software, and provided you remember the main password.

Thank you for responding Rory, I'm at the unit but when I go to system reset nothing happens, it doesn't let me do anything because it doesn't see me as a supervisor.

Thanks again

Mark

No default admin password works?

Is it that you dont remember what the Supervisor login is on the network?

Because that is seperate from the Menu Programming Password.

Sorry, I couldn't get back Rory, The unit is not on the network yet, so I'm trying to do everything on the unit. If nothing works, I'll try and get it on the network for you.

Thanks Again

Mark

I too am thinking about getting the 780W system, it seems to offer a lot for a good price.

Have you managed to solve your problems with this unit, and would you say in general that it is a good DVR? What about the network capabilities, are they any good any fairly easy to set up?

Thanks in advance.

Is network impotant to you ?

The prob with all CPCam/AVTech's network design is that they just plug and video webserver to the unit and then call them network DVR.

This mean that when you are accessing from the net, and you select channel 1, EVERYONE, including the person sitting in front of the Video monitor connected to the DVR, will see the Screen change to Channel 1.

Select Channel 2, same thing will happens.

So if the net user change channel, person sitting in front of the dvr monitor will know someone's watching. Also, if everyone want to see different channel, you'll have a channel fight.