programmergeek

Camera to cover driveway at a distance and close up.

I need to upgrade a camera (not my install) to one with IR. The guy wants to cover his driveway which is about 100' long the camera is at the frount door so it is possible someone may walk up to it. I need a recomendation for an IR camera. THis also needs to be nice looking and mounted on the side of a house he has a little bullit cam on a 1 gang box there now. I am a CNB fan so I was looking at a LCM-24VF 2G, hopefully this is not two big, how is the range oor IR on this?

Your going to be hard pressed to find a dome camera that has 100ft of IR. I would add a external IR and call it a day.

Totally, especially if the camera is at the door and you want to see someone within a few feet of it. Most cameras with built-in IR are just going to totally wash out on anything close by if the IR even had a *chance* of reaching half that distance.

Cameras and illuminators are frequently items that need to be chosen, and placed, independently for maximum performance. It rarely works out that you find the perfect + illuminator combo, other than for the most basic scenarios.

You can try a GS831SM from gadspot. The best thing the camera offers is smart IR, so when someone approaches the camera it won't wash them out in white- it will adjust to keep that from happening. It may be a larger bullet than what's there now. However your client needs to understand that IR throw will not be as effective 100' out, nor will a clear ID image. What he will get out of a camera like this is indeed a full view of the 100' driveway with the fov set at it's widest 3.8. But ID of anyone won't be possible at more than approx 8' out, and IR effectiveness will drop off the further out you go. You can't properly cover 100' with only one camera. In that instance, you can only get the whole 100' in the shot and have smart IR for a better picture when someone approaches the front door at night. This is something that may work for a quick switch of what's there already, which you mention you're looking for. A better solution will involve more installation adjustments. Good luck.