Ferrino

4CH DVR Suggestion

Hi,

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the selection of standalone DVRs available and was wondering if someone could please recommend a decent quality 4-channel DVR which can record all 4 channels at D1 resolution and at 7FPS (or maybe even 30FPS, depending on price)? Also, I need to be able to interact with the DVR over the network, with a Mac (running Snow Leopard), so something that is compatible with browsers other than Internet Explorer. I'm trying to avoid the cheapo Ebay DVRs, but at the same time I do have a budget and this is simply a residential setup. I'd like to get something under $200 if possible.

Also, I would be getting a "no HDD" version and was wondering: do you really need to add "surveillance-grade" HDDs? I have a regular 1TB SATA HDD available (Western Digital) and would love to use that to save money.

Thankyou!

Ferrino,

Your budget is a little low for a recorder of that quality unless you're ok with minimal support and looks/quality(some people just need basics). For $300 you can get a full fram-erate recorder with a $500GB hard drive from a company called Unitek that offers smartphone compatibility and us based support. Product is still Chinese but much better than the eBay recorders you mentioned.

PS - They also offer a unit without a hard drive(slightly cheaper) for what you're trying to do. And aren't the only ones but for the price you're expecting.

Thanks, that's a bit out of my price range, so maybe I could just stick to D1 @ 7fps. Any suggestions for that, please?

Easy-

Dahua entry level 8 channel DVR

The PSS software for remote viewing has a mac version.

I'd say get the four channel for even less, but it's ALWAYS best to get more channels than you think you need. And since this falls well within your price range and you have your own HD, bingo.

You didn't mention anything about cameras and that budget...

Thankyou! The Dahua 4/8 looks perfect!

Question: can I do everything via the MacOS client that I can do if I was controlling the DVR directly with the mouse? The DVR is going to be tucked away remotely, so I want to be able to control everything from my Mac.

What is the best way to get power and video from the DVR/transformer to the cameras? I read that the cables that are bundled with all-in-one systems often lead to miserable video quality, so I'm wondering if there is some better quality "siamese" cable for power+video, or if sending power+video over CAT5 is a good way to go (I have plenty of CAT5e cable available)?

I haven't selected any cameras yet, but is there a rule of thumb on what kind of quality camera would work well for recording at D1 resolution? e.g. how many TVL? I like the "dome" style cameras as I think they look a bit cleaner on the outside of the house.

Thankyou!

At home I have the Qvis Zeus - perfect for my needs; and PSS over the network is way better for searching then sitting at the DVR. That said, I probably should have upgraded to the Apollo only because there are slightly more bell and whistles, especially with software, mobile access and recent additions to search capability. Sean will have everything you need for software (for mac) but I also get some neat dahua stuff from bahamassecurity - like the single viewer - use it all the time - not sure if that works with .

As far as power/video if you already have the Cat5 use it! Just get some passive baluns (Soundy on the Forum here sometimes refers to these pictured below) especially since they fit nicely into the back box of Sean's CNB VCM 24VF which I have at home (well, the VBM version). No complaints about these cams and you will see are well represented on the forum. Those cams are dual voltage so you minimize ground loop issues hence using 1 pair for vid and 1 or 2 pair for power you will be fine!

blnmtl2-1.jpg

Question: can I do everything via the MacOS client that I can do if I was controlling the DVR directly with the mouse? The DVR is going to be tucked away remotely, so I want to be able to control everything from my Mac.

I don't know for sure but I'm gonna guess the remote software can't tweak every setting that you may need to adjust. Some you need to be at the dvr, so plan on hooking up a monitor- even a 15" lcd monitor or something you may have sitting around would be fine. Have the dvr tucked away, but make it accessible with a monitor & mouse attached. You'll most likley need to work in the dvr sometimes- at least until everything is fully tweaked. After that, less so.

No one will recommend the premade cables for the cameras. But I'm using them right now, mostly because I was a dope and figured I'd change them out if they went bad. A year in, they haven't gone bad and all is well and looks well. But if you have anything but the easiest of cable runs to where your cameras will be, consider running good RG59 right from the start. It's a little more of a pain to install the end connectors yourself, but it's not hard to do and you may save yourself having to swap out cheap cable down the line. Swapping out a dvr or the cameras is one thing. Redoing cable runs sucks. Avoid it with good cable. Far as cameras- read up here. There's so many and the good ones are easy to find out about with a search here. Good luck.

That said, I probably should have upgraded to the Apollo only because there are slightly more bell and whistles, especially with software, mobile access and recent additions to search capability.

Can I please ask which bells and whistles from the Apollo you'd like on your Econo/Zeus? The Econo is still good for viewing from a 3G smartphone app, right?

I had a couple of other questions:

- Is it OK to lock a DVR inside a cabinet, given some vents or perhaps a small fan? I'd like to conceal it but appreciate the heat it could generate while working away 24/7.

- What's the best solution to neat cable management with all these RG59, power, CAT5 cables flying around? Our alarm system was installed with some wiring staples and that looked really good. Anyone recommend a wiring tacker/staple-gun? I'm a little OCD when it comes to aesthetics!

- I'd like to pipe the BNC output of the DVR onto the coax line which feeds my television set from an OTA antenna. I have a RF modulator which accepts a RCA input which it throws onto some arbitrary channel on the coax line. Is it as simple as running a BCA-to-RCA adapter and sending the video signal to the modulator?

- Is it OK to lock a DVR inside a cabinet, given some vents or perhaps a small fan? I'd like to conceal it but appreciate the heat it could generate while working away 24/7.

Yes. I have installations where we put the DVR in a cabinet, drilled out a hole and added a fan to draw the heat out. Also, depending on the size of the DVR, I like to place laptop chill pads underneath the DVR. Works very well to keep the unit cool and can be powered by one of the DVR's USB ports or via a power adapter with a USB charger port.

Which one do you use?

How do you like this one?

www.ebay.com/itm/320904314562

Also, depending on the size of the DVR, I like to place laptop chill pads underneath the DVR. Works very well to keep the unit cool and can be powered by one of the DVR's USB ports or via a power adapter with a USB charger port.

I don't use anything specific. When I have an installation I'll usually go to a local CompUSA and pick one up.

I haven't used the one you've referenced. I like the enclosed type. But as long as the fans spin I don't see a problem.

I first received one several years ago as a gift and was surprised that the thing really kept my laptop cool. When I started using the small footprint DVRs I thought I'd give it a try. They work pretty good.

Can I please ask which bells and whistles from the Apollo you'd like on your Econo/Zeus? The Econo is still good for viewing from a 3G smartphone app, right?

Well, for me, I have firmware 2.606 and I have a Blackberry so there is limited support for 2.606. Also I remember reading on the forum that Dahua was coming out with a better search function (bar search) but applied to 2.608 (Apollo).

And yes, I believe all the major smart phones are supported for the Econo but it may be limited. In other words higher firmware may, in some cases, equal more app options.

You're probably fine with a couple appropriately-placed vent holes. I don't think the chill pad will really make a difference, as all it's doing is pushing air across the bottom of the DVR - unless there are vents on the bottom, it's not going to carry much heat away, and all it will do then is circulate it around inside the cabinet. Proper venting will do far more to keep things cool - I'd put a hole directly above the DVR for its heat to escape through, and another kitty-corner in the bottom so fresh air can enter the cabinet to replace it.

If you find it it needs more cooling, a 12V computer fan inside the exhaust hole, blowing outward, and powered off a simply 12V adapter, will do the trick - get a low-flow/low-speed fan to keep the noise down, as you really don't need to move massive amounts of air - the important thing is just that there IS air flow.

- What's the best solution to neat cable management with all these RG59, power, CAT5 cables flying around? Our alarm system was installed with some wiring staples and that looked really good. Anyone recommend a wiring tacker/staple-gun? I'm a little OCD when it comes to aesthetics!

Run it inside the wall. Use about a 3" hole saw to drill through the back of the cabinet and through the wall (between studs, of course). Drill a hole in the top plate from the attic, and fish the wires up.

- I'd like to pipe the BNC output of the DVR onto the coax line which feeds my television set from an OTA antenna. I have a RF modulator which accepts a RCA input which it throws onto some arbitrary channel on the coax line. Is it as simple as running a BCA-to-RCA adapter and sending the video signal to the modulator?

Yes, it's that simple... it would be simpler to just run the DVR output to an RCA A/V input on the TV.

not completely.

windows version better.

mac version use virtualization. older macs very slow starting.

non lion version, task dont auto start.

audio have issues if using mics.

video can be blocked on mac.

so it work. just not as good as windows.

Thanks for all your help! I went with a setup from Sean, who has been extremely helpful. I opted for the Dahua 8 ch DVR, which I will pair with a spare 1TB HDD. For cameras, I have initially just purchased 2 and will test those first and then expand:

Above front door: Qvis EYE-N35-V2W-N Outdoor Eyeball Dome Security Camera 2.8-11mm 600 TVL

Under garage eaves, overlooking driveway: 650 TVL Outdoor Night Vision Security Camera 3.6mm lens

I also purchased siamese RG59 cabling, but with a possible passive-balun-over-CAT5e for some cameras where network cable is already in place.

Regarding the use of BNC output to view the DVR on my TV instead of VGA, unfortunately I don't have a choice as the DVR will be positioned too far from the TV set and I only have a coax line available, so I'll be using an RF modulator. I think most of the viewing will be done through the Macbook though.

Regarding the use of BNC output to view the DVR on my TV instead of VGA, unfortunately I don't have a choice as the DVR will be positioned too far from the TV set and I only have a coax line available, so I'll be using an RF modulator. I think most of the viewing will be done through the Macbook though.

you can get cat5-VGA extender.

so you run cat5, and then connect vga on both end.

Thanks - I'm aware of that solution, but the TV is positioned very awkwardly in a split-level home, such that I can't run any new cables without significant work. I'm hoping that the BNC output will look OK at 10-feet viewing distance

I had another quick question: other than viewing the DVR live feed on the TV (through BNC output) and on the Macbook (through the software over the network) and on the iPhone (through an app), I'd love to also have a small, perhaps 7", tablet that I can take around the house to view the feeds on. I'm aware that there are some cheap Android-based tablets in this size and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? It would be purely for viewing the feeds through an Android app - I don't need bells and whistles with sophisticated touch technology etc. Ideally the camera app would be the only app, such that when I turn it on, it goes straight to the camera views.

Thanks a lot!

There are liquidation stores up here that have 6"/7" Android tablets for <$50, selling them as "e-readers". As long as something like that has WiFi, you can install the appropriate Android viewer app, and you're good to go.

Thanks. I decided to get something a bit better quality and went for the Blackberry Playbook 7" with 32Gb storage. It was $150 and there's a free return policy, so thought I'd give it a go.

The catch there is, you need a BB app that will work with your DVR. Probably exists, but they're not as plentiful as Android and iOS apps.

Thanks! I thought you could sideload Droid apps onto the new Playbook OS 2.0, but it seems not all apps work! I managed to cancel my order before it shipped.

So do you have any recommendations for specific models of 7" tablets that run the Droid OS natively, without having to root etc?

Actually, most color e-book readers are using Android and should run the apps without any problem. They have minimal processors, but they're a good way to get into an Android tablet for cheap. Kindle Fire, Nook, Kobo Vox, etc.

There are several available, some more generic, some specific to certain DVRs. You'd have to look up the specific app, then see if it's compatible with that version of Android.