shockwave199

Digital zoom

My camera is a 27x optical zoom, however it has a digital zoom setting that you can turn on/off. When I put it on, I don't see any difference- such as zoom range increasing or whatever. Not even sure what it does. Only to say I've always heard it said- digital zoom sucks compared to optical, so I leave it off. Could digital be a more precise zoom? Such as optical at 12x zoomed can be slightly fudgy but digital at 12x is right on exact? Not sure what a digital zoom setting does in an optical zoom camera.

Puzzled.

This is a Veilux 27x Zoom PTZ. First picture is zoomed all the way out, then at 27 then 54 on the optical. It definitely gets more pixelated!

3.jpg.3ef4eca0b2110d9e581eabdcc8378923.jpg

2.jpg.e2746c04b733b42fc16e0656f466ac0a.jpg

1.jpg.23920871d64d31fa4e699566baffcf56.jpg

Most cameras with digital and optical zoom will stop zooming when you hit the end of the optical range - you have to stop the zoom command, then start it again to continue zooming past that point.

Digital zoom is simply zooming in on pixels and blowing them up. With analog cameras, its not very effective.

Most cameras with digital and optical zoom will stop zooming when you hit the end of the optical range - you have to stop the zoom command, then start it again to continue zooming past that point.

Maybe that's it. I'll try that. I've only had it on once and didn't really mess with it that much- I don't need to zoom to the next town, especially if the image breaks up.