afitzwater

IP camera needed for drive way

Car gets broken into a lot but HOA does not allow cameras mounted outside of the house. I need something that can go in the garage and shoot out at the drive way through the top windows. Perhaps two cameras shooting in an X mounted on each side wall.

I live in AZ so it can be 110 degrees on average during summer. Not exactly that hot inside the garage but still gets hot. Need something with night vision as well. Wireless a plus. Trying not to spend more than $200 per camera but would consider it. Thanks!

If you use IR through a window at night all you will see is the reflected light from the IR.

You should look for a way to hide a camera outside in something like a birdbox or

electrical junction box. If you are allowed to install security lights then you could install

a IR security light outside while mounting your camera inside the garage.

If there's a way to mount it not looking through a window, that would be best, maybe a balcony?

Check my reviews on my blog on the Avtech cameras. They actually have a pretty nice image in low light. The WiFi version (avn812) was pulled off the market because of issues but should be back for sale soon. In the meantime, you may take a peek at the AVN80X. It has a white LED light that you'll need to turn off and just record with available light but it can record to the internal SD card, it can warn you instantly and play back video on most smart phones. It's about $220. For less, the AVN801, also reviewed, does not have an SD card slot, but you can record to software on a PC.

get some perspex (search for "FILTER FOR NIGHT VISION" or similar) on ebay looks black from the outside. will work only with b&w cameras or cameras that are b&w. alternatively get some pinhole cameras, look at kt&c.

A lot of the dome cameras can be recessed mounted, and if you are creative you will likely be able to mount it and never have them (HOA) say a word about it (paint the exterior shell to match the paint on your house and the dome would be VERY unobtrusive and hard to spot).

I find it odd that you live in a covenant controlled neighborhood with a strict HOA and yet have problems with break-ins.

If the breakins happen at night then your biggest concern should probably be low light performance.

Facial recognition in low light conditions is tough (in my opinion), and it's probably worse if you are using infrared with built in illuminators.

I would tell the HOA to KMA. I don't think they can legally stop you from protecting your property.

You are probably right. They (various HOAs, most notoriously ones in Florida) tried similar BS stunts years ago trying to prevent people from putting sat dishes, TV antennas, wifi antennas, solar systems, etc, on homes... they have gotten their asses kicked in courts on each and every one of these.

If what you are doing is providing energy, information sources, etc, then their aesthetic concerns don't trump your rights to access energy and information.

Having said all of that, for me, personally, I find large bullets and box cameras in a residential setting aesthetically displeasing, so I am moving to all domes at my home.

If you have a monster enormous house, than a couple of full blown PTZ domes, etc, would not look that out of place and can be done tastefully (at a high price) but the typical residence is not 10,000 square feet on 10 acres of property.

Sure, but antennas and solar power are different, they protected, cameras are not. All you can do is make the request to your board and see how receptive they are to it. But I have a dome camera tucked under the eave in front of my garage. Only the glass bubble is visible and most people would not notice it. If it's houses, should be able to make it discrete enough to be acceptible. If it's condos, the outside of the unit does not belong to you, so no, you can't attached anything to it.

Also, one thing you can do if it's a house and you have porch lights by your garage door is put the camera inside that and forgo the bulb.