Hello, in september last year i installed a Analogue cctv system with 13 cameras with 2 of these being PTZ cams.

about 2 months ago they started playing up, what happens is, as soon as i move the cameras around using the joystick- the whole camera blacks out and doesn't come back on until i let go of the joystick and it slowly flickers back to life!!

i have sent the cameras back to the supplier to find out the problem but they say there is nothing wrong with them!!

Does someone have a solution as to what the problem could be??

could it be the wiring??

all thoughts welcome!

My guess is that you've got some cracked, broken or otherwise damaged wires. A lot of times when electricity goes through old/damaged wires, it creates a break in the wire. Once the charge is released, it returns to normal and you can see your camera. I've seen this happen in car stereos and things like that.

It's just a hunch, but I bet it has something to do with your wiring, especially if the manufacturer says they can't find a problem. It almost always has something to do with power or wiring. I'd check your voltages and wires for any cracks, damage, or animal damage.

Wiring, or a failing power supply. Problems like you've described are common with PTZs that are under-powered - once they start moving, the extra current draw causes a drop in voltage below the camera's operating requirements, and it just shuts off; then once it stops moving, the voltage returns to normal, and it fires back up.

Suggestion: meter the voltage at the camera while you start driving it around, see if it drops off.

Hello, I havent tried anything yet but i"ve been thinking- why would it happen now when they have been fine for months before??

if it is cable damage, it must be a strange coincidence that they both did it at a similar time?!

Like I said, could also be a failing power supply, that's not delivering full current any more. A transformer with a shorted winding could do it.

For that matter, a camera whose PT motors are starting to see some physical resistance - say, from lubrication drying out in the PT mechanism - could also be starting to draw more current during operation... which again, if power and/or wiring are borderline, could be just enough to push it over the edge.

i tried using a 12v plug pack direct to the camera and it was ok for a little while but it started doing it again?!

What size (current rating) was the adapter? What's the maximum current the camera draws? If the camera requires "up to"1.5A, for example, and the adapter can only do 1A, that's your problem.