Ed

Webview Audio

I am having a problem with the audio when using the webviewer.

Specs:

Windows XP SP2

Intel 3.2 Ghz 512MB Ram

Gigbit Lan

Geovision 7.0.4

IE 6

GV-800 w/4 chan audio

DirectX 9.0c

The audio on the server from the camera mic sounds fine, but when I try to listen to the audio on the webview of the same cam, it does not. The audio port is set at the default (6550) and there is no other traffic on the network. The audio sounds like it is skipping (best description I can come up with). Even when I pull up a browser on the server I get the same type of audio. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

First of all, what type of mic are you using? The system is designed for Line Level audio, so verify that you in fact are using the correct mic as well as a decent mic.

The Skipping is generally caused by network congestion over WAN, or you may need to tweak th gain settings for the audio setting under the Camera/Audio Install settings tab. Too much gain will give you the skipping sensation.

Keep in mind that the sudio is 8-bit, so please don't expect CD quality.

scottj.

I am using the built-in mic on the camera. There is no other traffic on the network, just the PC running the GV800 server software and the PC running the browser. It will also occur if I use a browser on the Camera Server PC. Using the "Geovision GV-800 System" software on the serving PC, the audio is perfect. I have adjusted the gain to every position available to no avail. Viewing recorded video using Remote Playback across the web sounds fine. Only live audio using Webview sounds wrong.

I have tried installing the card/software on a different PC with a clean install of XP, same result. I have browsed to the webview using 5 different PCs, same result. I have an mp3 of what it sounds like available here:

http://www.burlingtondesigncenter.com/gv800-audio.mp3

I am not expecting CD quality audio, but I think it should sound better then it is.

Ed,

We tested a few different cameras with audio onboard and got the exact same results as what you are experiencing using the web based clients. The reason it works locally on the machine is because the audio and video bitrates are not separated. When you attempt to stream over IP, the Multiview software does not separate the two signal types. Since the audio and video source is one in the same, the video will take priority using the Multiview client, thus resulting in a signal interference caused by the audio signal from the same source. The way to resolve this issue is to use a separate mic. One that is very cost effective and works excellent is the Crown PZM11LL Pressure Zone Mic. I hope this makes sense to you.

Scottj

What kind of router or switch are you using, are there any bandwidth or MTU adjustments that may have been changed? Anything else running on the local network? What port are you using for the webcam?

PM me the IP (and a demo user/pass) and Ill check it from my custom software if you like, as it uses an earlier version of activeX than what you have.

Rory

Update

I contacted Geovision support. Sad to say, the US office was not helpful at all. Contacted Taiwan and got some of the best support I have ever experienced. Despite the time difference, they were able to figure out the problem (it was in the software) and send me a patch in just a few days. The audio now works as advertised. I know all of you were on the edge of your seat with this one