utvols

Indoor Color Camera For Small Room

I'm looking for an indoor color camera for monitoring a dog's room. The room is 8X8 with 11ft ceiling and is lit by a 2 bulb 4ft florescent light. The dogs won't be in the room with the lights off therefore low light or infrared cameras shouldn’t be needed.

I want high resolution and was thinking about a high resolution camera, but was wondering if a high resolution camera is really needed to get high resolution in a room that small with ample lighting.

For this room camera type doesnt matter, although I have read in other posts that box cameras deliver better resolution.

I would really perfer to buy in the $75 - 150 price range (if I can) but would pay extra money $150 up (to get high resolution).

Thanks,

JT

i would use a 2.9mm high res dome for this aplication - check out pelco, panasonic, rainbow

pelco and panasonic will run at least 200 but rainbow makes a good camera in the 150+ range

How about these box cameras?

GE CCTV KTC-815C 1/3" Hi Res 480 TVL Color CCTV Camera

Bosch LTC 0455/21 CAMERA 1/3" 540 TVL COLOR DSP 12VDC/24VAC 60Hz

Anyone have any experiance with these? Are they overkill for this small area?

What exactly are you looking at? I dont think you will need high resolution but let us know why you want it? Also, does it need to be color? Whats the purpose of the camera? Id think a 420TVL BW camera in a dome should suffice to look at what the dogs are doing.

Another thing you need to look at, what type of system are you using or going to use? You could buy the best camera in the world (if one existed) but still what system you use will make a huge difference of how good the image looks, and the quality it records at.

Those are box cameras, good cameras, Ive used the GE one, but then like griffon said, lens, mount, maybe housing incase the dogs are large and try to knock it down.

A dome would be better so if the dogs slobber over it you can wipe the slime off easy

Is this a Dog house like outside in the yard, or a room in the house?

Rory

Thanks Rory for your response.

I planed on doing this CCTV system earlier this year (I already bought a GV800 7.X and workstation) but haven’t had time to implement anything due to traveling the past few months.

Right now the wife is after me to get the system up and running with a camera to monitor the dog's room. One of our AKC Champion French Bulldogs is expecting a litter and she wants a camera setup to monitor the dog and pups. The dogs are small (20 lb) and the puppies are tiny (fit within the palm of your hand), therefore to monitor the dogs and the pups I figured high resolution may be needed. I don’t care either way B/W or color, however the wife said she would prefer color and she wants to be able to see the puppies clearly.

The room is a climate controlled storage room dedicated to the dogs. Its 8x8 ft with an 11ft ceiling. I was planning on mounting the camera in the corner of the room from the ceiling.

So that’s the overall scoop.

I would prefer not to buy anything more than what I need to do the job, however since the wife is driving this camera in the setup I’m sure I wont be getting any flack for going into the $150+ range

I wouldnt bother with a dome then.

But if you are getting a bullet camera, make sure it is 1/3". Provideo has some 1/3" High Res Bullets, the CVC-637 is color with 3.6mm 1/3", and 470TVL. Once you have lighting on all the time it will work, if not or if it is low light, then you would be looking at something like an Exview Color, or a BW camera.

It may be over your budget though. But basically you want to look for a 1/3" Camera to get a wide angle.

The GE KTC-815 will work, just you need a lens also, for florescent lights id suggest an auto iris, but main thing is use 24VAC if you are going to use a camera like that for best results. The GE would still be over your listed budget , time as you add the lens also. Also takes some setting up like focus and dip switch settings. The bullet is plug and play, just need to be able to position it

You might want to look at one of the Ganz cameras if you are going for a box camera, will be cheaper than the GE and just as good really.

Basically for a box camera like these, dont buy a budget lens, as then the camera will be a waste of money, cause then you could have just used a Bullet camera and saved time setting up.

Rory

My opinion is that you would be well suited with almost any of those cameras, I think what you need to consider first is:

How long are you going to use it for?

The longer you want to use the system then the better quality you should buy.

In a room of that size you really are not going to have to worry about resolution, however Rory is correct in saying that the end result will depend on the quality of your recording, luckily you will not need to store months of data, so high qulaity settings will be able to be used without great expense.

In a room with constant light you can use almost anything, but consider if the light will change, will a door open for instance, are there any windows, shadows etc. If this is the case then go for a good quality camera, I have tried both of the cameras you suggested, The GE is reasonable and the Bosch good but grainy under low light (night sense) mind you most cameras do not even have this low light feature at that price scale, so it is a good feature all the same.

Black and White will give best resolutions but I bet your wife will not be happy with it, Full Body cams will work better but in your case a Dome would be all that you need and easier to mount. I do prefer a good recess mounted full body camera anyday and sensors in full body cams are rarely smaller than 1/3" which is not always the case with dome cameras.

Do not buy a cheapo bullet, it may work fine now, but give it some time!

Good luck with the Pups!

Sorry for the late response to the posts. I have been traveling the past couple of days.

Based on the information posted and a friends recommendation I figured I would give one of these a try.

DANZ ZC-D6039NHA Indoor Fixed Dome 1/3" Color hi res 3-9mm AI

Might be overkill, I don't know. I will be traveling over the next couple of weeks, however when I get back I will hook it up and let you guys know how it worked out.

Thanks for your help!

I'm a bit late picking up on your thread utvols, but for what it's worth, here are a few suggestions.

If you're using a camera for whelping, the ideal set up would be for a high resolution camera with a good quality ultra wide lens, but with a couple of proviso's.

For your breed, the size of room is quite generous, so depending on what (little) you have in the room, try and position the camera in a corner, wall mounted at about five feet from the ground (only higher if you think the b***h can jump up to it ). Place the dog 'nest' in the corner directly below the camera. That way, when she's ready to do her stuff, she will more than likely retire to the nest and you can watch in comfort without disturbing her.

Colour is not necessary, unless you absolutely must. If you go for a 1/3" 'box' 560> 580 lines resolution Black and White camera (12v DC power supply, with Electronic Iris), fit a 2.8mm ultra wide manual iris lens, after focussing close the aperture to approx f4 and switch on the EI function. If you can restrict the area of the room still further, you could go for perhaps a 3.7mm lens which would provide an even better image.

If possible use a single tungsten bulb as an uplighter ( perhaps a 40 watt bulb, bouncing the light off the ceiling). This will provide a low and comfortable light level for the expectant one, whilst providing an Infra Red rich light source which the camera will like.

Hope it all works out o.k., and let us know how many pups she delivers.