sexydadee

Hardrive Calculator Confusion

I am currently trying to calculate needed Hardrive capacity for 288 nos. 4cif cameras for 180 days 24/7 recording @ 25fps.

I went to axis design tools and got about 280+ TBytes but when I tried using calculators for other brands like Panasonic (ND400) and Luxriot, they churn out a whopping 1000+ TBytes worth of HD capacity. Does this mean Axis cameras have better compression? I thought they are usually universal due to ONVIF compliance. Can somebody explain to me how Axis Design Tools or cameras is giving a very substantially low TBytes Capacity? Even with Raid5, I dont think the difference is that big.

I also tried JVSG's IP Video System Design Tool and it gives me 450+ TB. Now I am even more confused. Please help. Thanks

Calculating disk space usage is something of a black art that relies as much on experience as tools - try six more calculators and you'll get six different answers. There are too many factors that affect how "compressable" an image is, including scene complexity, contrast, sharpness, color saturation. Then when you go to video, the amount of movement in the scene - ie. the level of change from frame to frame - affects it.

Then you get the codec used, as different ones compress differently and work better for different situations... and then there's the quality vs. compression setting: the higher the compression, the more quality you lose, and most codecs give you some kind of control over this. Sometimes even the same codec from two different manufacturers will give you two different results, depending on how the specific manufacturer implements that codec.

And of course, if you're doing motion-based recording, that can have a HUGE effect on the space used. There are simply too many variables for any calculator to give you an accurate answer - they're good for estimates only.

Does this mean Axis cameras have better compression?

No... it could just mean that Axis's tool favors their own cameras.

I thought they are usually universal due to ONVIF compliance.

There is no such thing. ONVIF has no control over space usage, since as noted above, there are too many user-controlled variables.

Even with Raid5, I dont think the difference is that big.

RAID level used has nothing to do with how much space a camera uses.

I am currently trying to calculate needed Hardrive capacity for 288 nos. 4cif cameras for 180 days 24/7 recording @ 25fps.

I went to axis design tools and got about 280+ TBytes but when I tried using calculators for other brands like Panasonic (ND400) and Luxriot, they churn out a whopping 1000+ TBytes worth of HD capacity. Does this mean Axis cameras have better compression? I thought they are usually universal due to ONVIF compliance. Can somebody explain to me how Axis Design Tools or cameras is giving a very substantially low TBytes Capacity? Even with Raid5, I dont think the difference is that big.

I also tried JVSG's IP Video System Design Tool and it gives me 450+ TB. Now I am even more confused. Please help. Thanks

What manufacture's cameras or encoders are you planing on using? What ever manufacture you plan to use that would be the calculator I would recommend you use.

I plan on using Panasonic cameras, but their NVRs are a guzzler for Capacity, so I was thinking of getting 3rd party NVR like luxriot or nuuo. So i guess i will get whichever calculates the lowest disk space. Thanks for your input guys.

I plan on using Panasonic cameras, but their NVRs are a guzzler for Capacity, so I was thinking of getting 3rd party NVR like luxriot or nuuo. So i guess i will get whichever calculates the lowest disk space. Thanks for your input guys.

LOL you need to use the Panasonic calculator. Switching VMS is not going to change the compression from the cameras. If you want to see if you can get better compression switch cameras.

LOL you need to use the Panasonic calculator. Switching VMS is not going to change the compression from the cameras. If you want to see if you can get better compression switch cameras.

^This.

At its most basic form, all an NVR does is receive the stream from the camera and write it to disk. Changing the NVR won't make any difference in the space used because the camera is sending the same stream to both of them.

I went to axis design tools and got about 280+ TBytes....

There is a chance you have not specified some parameter for calculation.

Can you please share more details about your input data?

By our tests, average results from our CCTV hard drive calculator are somewhere in between results of AXIS and Arecont Vision calculators.

The difference should be not more than 10-15%

As far as I can remember the only calculator that shows quite different results is the calculator from Panasonic.

Just for kicks and giggles I calculated it using analog cameras, Avigilon Encoders, and Avigilon Servers.

I took 4 servers and 418 TB of storage.

25 FPS and 24/7 on 100% of the cameras makes no sense what so ever. Why record when there is nothing there to record?

They make this cool thing called Motion Detection.