We'll only upgrade for a year or two most likely, then let them go until they die. At 5-6 or more years old or more it's better to replace them at that point for us anyway. Then you get a fresh three years of warranty and software and such.

You can also get discounts for buying in bulk so it's not too bad.

You do not need much in the way of a computer to run the Exacq software at all really. I just VNC'd into a few of my servers to give you a better idea of the usage in the systems.

My first system was running 23 cameras, 8 IP and the rest analog. One 4MP camera and 7 1.3MP cameras. It was running a quad screen rotation of all cameras. Processor is an i3 in these with 2gb of ram. Processor usage was 4% and would peak at around 10% during actual rotation to the next 4 cameras. This is a prebuilt system from them.

The systems I'm building are really reusing older DVRs that we are moving away from. These are a couple of years old, Pentium Dual Core systems with 2GB of ram. The one I looked at was an e5500 processor. There are 5 1.3MP cameras. At these locations we do not run the client software usually, just let it run as a service in the background. Sitting as they normally do it runs at 4% processor usage, pretty stable. If I open the client and set it to a six camera view so I can see all 5 at once it runs about 45% processor usage.

All of these are also running the web service in the background too. If I connect to the older system in the office and rotate via local client on one PC, connect via the web page on another PC, and VNC in and open the client on yet another PC I can average 80% usage and see spikes close to 100%, but that is not normal usage at all. That is with the older dual core, the i3 handles that all much better.

Are you recording to local drives on the servers themselves, or to a NAS or other external source? What percentage of the IP cameras are utilizing on-camera MD (or other event trigger), as opposed to using Exacq software MD?

Recording to local drives on the machines. Depending on the cameras on the DVR from 1tb to 3tb.

IP cameras all use MD on the cameras. In exacq when you set the motion window in the client it actually sets the window in the camera, not locally. All motion on analog cameras is handled by exacq software of course.

Are you recording to local drives on the servers themselves, or to a NAS or other external source? What percentage of the IP cameras are utilizing on-camera MD (or other event trigger), as opposed to using Exacq software MD?

Exacq does NOT do server based motion motion detection.

Edited by Guest

Exacq does do server based motion motion detection.

They do? I thought I heard you say on the Avigilon chat that they dont.

If it does I have no idea how to use it lol. Not saying it doesn't just that I was unaware of that. For ACTi or Vivotek anyway any motion window you set in exacq is in the camera when you look at the camera interface itself. Also, you can adjust the window in the camera and it reflects in Exacq too, but you are not supposed to do that for whatever reason.

I had to for a non supported camera model as motion windows were not setting properly in the camera from exacq and it worked fine for me though. Made the non supported camera work perfectly.

Exacq does do server based motion motion detection.

Mike are you ok ?

Exacq does not do server motion detection

Sorry that was a typo.... Exacq does NOT have server based motion detection.

Wow a small typo and poor wireguys gets a pounding LOL!!!!

193917_1.gif

Yikes. I know that when you get a hybrid server now you get three years right off the bat and that is good for 8 IP cameras. For the servers I get with 16 analog inputs the extra years ore only $300 retail which is not bad at all for us anyway. That includes the 8 IPs it shipped with. The cost of a single cheap IP camera, so we are okay with paying that. Then you pay for each IP camera over 8.

I'm up to 22 separate hybrid servers in service here now and I only have 30 to go or so. Another 20ish are IP only so I'm building those myself and just purchasing the licenses.

You seem in a similar situation as me. I have 7 systems left to upgrade and all 43 of my sites will be at exacq. I recently upgraded 10 of my older systems to the latest 5.10 software. Exacq had a promo going and got full software upgrade for $250 per system. I jumped on it.