notter

A wideangle camera with decent specs.

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a wide angle camera with decent specs. My DVR is D1 compatible and don't for see it being a performance bottleneck.

I'd say my range is around $100, but I'd put more emphasis on overall value (Performance/price) of the product.

I'd seen some bullet camera's from google search but I wanted to get your opinions on what you all think are some good wideangle cameras (IR is optional).

If you don't mind, can you please provide a small description as to you why you like the camera (help a nobbie understand the technology behind the tool).

Thanx!

By wide angle, I'm guessing you mean 2, 3, or 4mm. That is a hard thing to comment on myself, because quality doesn't really show itself because a camera has a wider field of view. There are many other things to consider depending on the application, and whether you want a wide angle to see as much as you can closer to the camera (maybe 15 feet for example), or if you instead want it for a bird's eye view of a large area.

I don't know how you plan to use your broader view, but my employer uses Gadspots(cheaper) around the property, and I have KT&C's (a little pricey) at home. Regardless of the brand, it's analog, and I don't notice any real difference at wide angles. The Gadspots are the brand's higher end models and I don't have those model numbers for you, but even their most expensive camera is cheaper than just about any KT&C. The KT&C's are the KPC-501's and 701's. They are great cameras, perform well at night, the housings and mounts are durable and versatile... but I wouldn't spend the money on them if I just wanted a "wide" angle to spot movement or color of vehicles without any need of detail. Regardless of the brand, if you're talking night time views, variable lighting during the day (big trees with shadows), indoor office lighting that can be somewhat dim etc. then you definitely need to do your homework on what purpose the camera will serve and what specifications are needed to meet those needs.

I can tell you the main difference I have witnessed which matter most (to me) and make the biggest difference, with all other things being equal, are things like IR cut removal, also known as "True day and night", variable lens (2x12mm) for the options it gives you, 1/3" Sony exview had II sensor, DNR and digital WDR. I could mention more, but it depends on the application. Any of the experts here will tell you digital WDR is not true Wide Dynamic Range, but it seems to make a difference over cameras that have nothing of the sort. Maybe the WDR cameras just work well because the cameras without it have less overall features.

So, I have been around those two brands. If you want wide angle for just a bird's eye view of well lit areas without a need for variable conditions, there are lots of $100 cameras out there that will work. Good luck and just do your research on what all those specs attached to the camera actually mean.

Hey tms233,

Thnx for a quick reply!

This camera is for a commercial property and indoors with well lit area. I would say the coverage depth is at most maybe 25-30 feet. I would like it show enough details to make out their face (I understand I might not be able to get a clear look w/ wide angle and rather long distance at that).

I'll have to do a bit more research into WDR, DNR and True Day and night.

30 foot facial recognition with analog, especially if they are moving, is going to require more zoom, where you then lose field of view. Two cameras may be needed, unless these are people you see everyday and don't need much more detail to ID them. Depending on the position of your target, brightness of the light and where the lighting originates, back-light compensation (BLC) may come into play. BLC seems to be standard on cameras containing the other features mentioned earlier, especially if they have WDR (true or digital). This is all based on my non-expert experience. Look for videos on the net showing analog camera shots which give you an idea of what you can realistically expect from the camera.

You can get a general view across that depth of field but detail?

Forget it unless you target specific areas such as doorways and

corridors between desks etc then you can use two cameras, one

for an overview and one with narrow angle of view targeting a

specific area. You can link both cameras to record the other

when one is triggered for movement.

If you have digital cameras, if the resolution allows you can

drill down even on the recording after an event to get a clear

picture of a face but expect to be paying out a LOT more.

I do have another camera pointing at the entry at close range to get an accurate "head shot", What i had meant by face recognition was to be able to at least (with very little doubt) tell apart an individual as they walk cross the area (more or less).

I'm just wondering what some of the users on the forum use for wide angle camera and certain technical understanding behind their choice.

I

If you want the widest range of versatility in a camera, the best choice is probably some sort of body

(or box) camera with an appropriate lens for your purpose. Also with this type of camera there is such

a wide choice of good camera equipment. I use Honeywell cameras and I understand that CNB manufacture

these, Ikegami cameras are well thought of and so of course are Bosch, Panasonic, Eneo and many others.

You will probably have more problems choosing between these than selecting a suitable lens.

Using an auto iris lens with VF range will make your task very much simpler. 2.5 - 11 or there abouts.

The only problem non-professionals might have is back focusing the lens to the camera, as this requires filters usually,

they should be able to do this for you in the place where you buy the equipment It make the lens continuously focussed throughout its range. (Some cameras can do this automatically without the use of filters)

192740_1.jpg

I would expect to pay 100.00 for the lens.

Well I'm sure glad the market offers more options, for a broader range of needs and circumstances, than that. What a country.

LOL, ya. I'm not exactly tyring to identify a bank robber.. just a small little shop and need to keep track of where the customers are. $100 for lens might be a bit over kill for me.

You haven't completely described the install. Is it always well lit, day and night? Are the lights out overnight? Do you wish to see well in low light over night? Is it a hallway or a wide open space? Is it wall or ceiling and if ceiling, what kind? How high? Do you need it to be vandal proof dome or will a bullet or eyeball type dome be ok and look ok for you?

I'm not at the premist atm, I will be able to upload a picture later tomorrow.

It a fairly well lit room... there is minor backlight but not significant to darken the image.