petalas82

Frame Rate Question

I see a lot of DVR's are from 48 to 120 fps. What do I want for the best pic.

Thanks

hi. look for 7fps to 15fps for each channel. at D1 7fps is ok for most setups

D1 is resolution 720x480 which is the max you can get out of analog solution. On your TV at home your probably watching 720P(1280x720 or 1080P (1920x1080)

Frames per second (FPS) has nothing to so with image quality.

Have a look a the link below and you can see frame rate recording comparisons.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

Edited by Guest

What do I want for the best pic.

Framerate has nothing to do with image quality, only with how frequently the DVR records the image. Check out the demo here: http://www.panasonic.com/business/security/demos/PSS-recording-rates.html

D1 (aka 4CIF) is the highest recording resolution available in analog DVRs, equivalent to approx. 720x480 pixels. Many DVRs are still limited to CIF (352x240), or do D1 on only a few channels, or only at lower framerates... your main concern should be one that does D1 on all channels regardless of framerate.

Realtime is considered as 30 fps (NTSC) or 25fps (PAL) the two main decode systems(the other is called Secam).

But saying 25fps means very little on it's own so what you are looking for is 25fps @ D1 for example (or 4 CIF)

What this actually means is 25 still frames (representing 1/25th of a second are recorded @ the resolution stated.

Now if police or you were to use footage recorded @ 25fps that means you have 25 images for every second of footage to catch a facial id of an offender. If that image is too small you may miss your chance so you need to record it in as big a resolution as you can, 12 fps would do giving quite nice fluid motion but the number of stills that can be extracted are only 12 images ps of recording. Hens the ips and fps but apparently it's not the same. I may have got that wrong???????

Now as a loose rule of thumb, a 4 channel DVR with a total frame rate of say 100 fps @ D1

means that if every camera will be capable of recording @ 25fps @ D1, (but not necessarily)

I hope I haven't confused you further?Try this link to CCTV42's website where Henry the boss there describes all about DVRs and their spec.

Edited by Guest

The 30 ips looks real good, but now what is ips? I though it was fps.

if you see anything as IPS or fields/p/s then your buying a poor system. ips and fps (fields per second) which is only half of a frame.

30 ips is only 15fps (frames per second)

30 fps (fields per second) is only 15 fps (you see this on the cheap china or ebay dvr) makes them look good

30 fps (fields per second) is only 15 fps (you see this on the cheap china or ebay dvr) makes them look good

Well that one I did not know. Since FPS is commonly used, how can anyone know if the spec really means frames per second or fields per second if it isn't spelled out? And I always took IPS to mean images per second.

While Tom's correct that there are TECHNICALLY differences in the terms, especially when looking at older systems, these days I think most manufacturers just use FPS and IPS interchangeably to means "frames per second".