pnyxxpress

Another newb here....

Hey all! First post. Just got my digital watchdog dvr dw-vmax480 and four DW cameras DW-B362DIR. I was really hoping for an easier in stall for my first attempt but that would be entirely too easy.

At the moment I'm not impressed with the cameras. I need good focus and a mid to wide angle. Any suggestions in the $200 - $300 range?

Additionally I need a small portable screen to use the camera OSD. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

At the moment I'm not impressed with the cameras. I need good focus and a mid to wide angle. Any suggestions in the $200 - $300 range?

What don't you like about them? Field of view? Day performance? Night performance? Overall image quality?

Additionally I need a small portable screen to use the camera OSD. Suggestions?

Find a portable DVD player on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Make sure it has an A/V input and the appropriate cable. I use this unit: http://www.shopxscargo.com/product_catalogue/cat_product_details.asp?category_id=6&product_code=29851&sub_category_1_id=22&category=TV

Take a look at the CNB VCM-24VF. Lots of examples of its output posted here on the board. Can be had for well under $200.

Did you check to see if they need to be manually focused and adjusted?

I dont think they're varifocal, so they might need a little adjustment.

The adjustment screws are usually on the side. This should help and bring up the clarity a little.

Did you check to see if they need to be manually focused and adjusted?

The adjustment screws are usually on the side. This should help and bring up the clarity a little.

Ummm... "varifocal" DOES NOT mean autofocus.

nathan. all verifocal need adjustment its fixed lens that dont. or auto zoom / auto focus

These are varifocal. That's probably the issue. These have such a narrow focal length. I need a camera I can make out a face at 40 feet and read a license plate at 20 feet.

They are indeed varifocal - 3.3-12mm, according to the Amazon listing I found. Going by http://cctvlenscalculator.com/, with a 1/3" sensor, at 40', your field of view (FOV) at 12mm should be about 16' wide; a face should be about 16 pixels wide recording at 4CIF/D1. That should be enough for you to make out who it is, IF you're familiar with the person.

Of course, the problem with that is, the area you're covering is only 16' wide... probably not much more than the width of your driveway.

At 20', your FOV is down to only 8', but a face would be 30 pixels wide; a license plate probably 1.5 to 2 times that, which should make it easily readable.

But again, that's with the camera zoomed fully in to 12mm. As you zoom out, you gain coverage, but lose detail.

Would a omni focal be a better option? Doesn't sound like I will be able to get both viewing distances from one camera. Thanks

On my exisiting camera I have a zoom and and another dial that has T and W. Is that the only lens adjustments?

Yes. The "T/W" dial is actually the zoom control - from "Tele" (12mm) to "Wide" (3.3mm). The other is the focus; if you're only using that, it would explain why you don't have much control over the FOV.

And no, I don't think "Omni Focus" would help you - looks like it's little more than remote-controlled zoom, and it doesn't even connect back to the DVR - you have to take the remote out and point it at the camera. ALL it would do is allow you to change the zoom - it won't move the camera around. To top it off, it only uses a 2.9-8.5mm lens - it's a smaller zoom range than the other (3X vs. 4X with 3.3-12mm), and it won't get as tight a shot, since it only goes to 8.5mm.

"Omni Focus" sounds like a gimmick at best. It'll save you needing to climb a ladder to adjust the zoom, that's all. It won't zoom in by itself; you have to be standing beside it to control it, and at that point, you can just see who's breaking into your car. Don't waste your money.

Megapixel is a whole other matter - it won't work with your current DVR. Be prepared to pretty much start from scratch.

From what specs I can find on it, it doesn't look like that TV has a composite-video (A/V) input... in which case, no, it wouldn't work. (Don't know how far you can trust the published specs, though - it says it's HDTV, but then lists the max resolution as 480i).

If you're shopping Amazon, this is the unit I have: http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLTD7-7-Inch-Handheld-Built-In/dp/B001OXNYIM/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339161963&sr=1-12

Very nice little unit, and the DVD player doubles as a signal source for testing runs.

So I think I found part of the issue. The image seems to be pretty good if I use a short 2 foot cable. Only when use the 100 ft premade cables do I see issue with fuzziness and blurred images. That might be why a can get it focused... Is there any difference in cable quality? These are suppose to be 18/2.

Thanks

It looks great out of the box, but the moment you adjust the zoom, you are committed to adjusting focus too. So right away it becomes user defined in that respect. But thankfully the zoom/focus is easily set. Aside from fov and day/night settings, I haven't tweaked a single thing for picture settings. I don't really want to yet because I only have a netbook and I really can't see well enough to make the right decisions. But considering the picture right now, I'm just leaving well enough alone. Most times it comes down to doing less, not more, when it comes to a decent picture- IF the camera is good.

It also depends on what you consider fuzzy. Analog will only get so good. Post a pic from the cameras- that will tell if it's bad or your expectations are too high with analog.

Your cables might suck, sure. Get a a good one and see if there's a difference.

How do I know what is a good cable..? These were premade and there isn't marking on them. So really don't know the brand.

It also depends on what you consider fuzzy. Analog will only get so good. Post a pic from the cameras- that will tell if it's bad or your expectations are too high with analog.

I expect what I see in your videos.