koolmer

IP PTZ delay on joystick control?

Hi All,

I am planning a job now that is probably going to be fully IP. Outside I will have some PTZ to cover the surroundings. The area around the building is dark in the night. I mean pitch black.

Illuminating the whole area is a little overkill I thought and therefore wanted to go for something like this: http://www.netvisiondvr.com/Home/ProductDetails/166

The price is excellent and the specs look great. My main concern is the control. This camera seems to have no RS-485, so I assume that I have to control it over the IP protocol. The Software from Netvision is certainly able to do that and they even have a 3D joystick to connect to the DVRs. But how is the delay on such systems? Is it possible to follow people with the camera? Does anyone have experience with IP PTZ?

I have seen this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI2kSaa7G20

I was very disappointed in the obvious delay when he controls the PTZ. This is what I don't want. I am used to immediate reaction from analogue PTZ and I would even consider a hybrid system if IP PTZ are not decently controllable.

I am thankful for any input from someone with experience in this.

hi. both the controller and camera can be had from dahua (the 1.3 is old now) they now have a 2mp and the IR range is good for around 80m they say 100m ..

as far as the slow controls on the video..................... that is not slow at all. (and it is not over 485) its over network.

193473_1.jpg

Yeah I also found out that it is from Dahua. I thought that I should take the 1,3 MP, because of better visibility at night. Of course the camera has IR, but the area where I will put it is really dark and anything to improve night vision is wanted. If there is no difference other that the amount of pixels I might go with the 2 MP version.

You mean the control is not slow? When I move the joystick on the analogue PTZ that I am used to, it is instant. There is no delay at all. I can follow people and cars (if not moving too fast) with the camera. I was at a Security Exhibition last year and tried a 1080p PTZ from Dallmeier. There was no delay, but when I look at this youtube video I have the feeling that the camera moves 1/2 second after he moves the joystick and I wonder how I am supposed to move the camera precisely with such delays.

hi. local control with rs485 will be fine.

the youtube video is a network controller (controller and ptz can be miles apart from each other)

Unfortunately this camera has no RS485. I guess control is only via IP protocol then and I wonder if this is a problem.

Hi,

It is normal for a PTZ IP Camera to have a slight delay.

We have a 1.0 Megapixel and 1.3 Megapixel demo in house. The delay is very slight but the delay can also be caused by low bit rate and bandwidth problems.

The delay is typically from h.264 compression and network latency. What compression are you using and what does your network design look like? how many switches are you using for this project?

I will (most probably) setup my own network for the cameras. It will be cat6 gigabit standard with maximum 2 switches. There will be 16 - 20 cameras all IP based. Most are D1, but the PTZs and a few others will be 1 - 2 MP. Maybe 5 - 8 will be MP.

I could also try to hook the cameras onto the existing network, which is based 100% on fiber optics. Every office has it's own fiber optic cable going to the server room. I am not planning to put the DVR into the server room though and therefore think it will be easier to biuld my own network. Besides I want to use POE and this isn't going to work with fiber optics cable.