bigredfish

Help/Advice on new home system

I'm so glad I found this forum, have learned a lot since first thinking I could go to the local Costco and get a "good" system by Lorex.

So, I think I know what I want, but really need help on some of the fine points. Plan on doing it myself,...but not afraid to call in help. I really just want to avoid buying something twice and am most concerned with having the most capable DVR

Budget: - $1000-$2000

- Want capability for IP/MegaPixel cameras

- Need full remote viewing/operation via Internet/PC/Iphone -

- Full D1 capability

- Want to be able to get email alert on motion with a snapshot?

- Basically want to push the budget as necessary leaning towards quality and allow for upgrades/improvements in time.

- The ability to run a wireless camera would be nice

I've priced out the following from online as a base starting point:

DVR - So I think I want the Dahua FULL D1 8 Channel Security DVR Real Time D1 Resolution as my DVR w/2TB drive (Comparable products?)

Looking at 5 cameras outside, 2 inside. Want to possibly put the DVR in the attic or garage, as this gets me best shot at getting all wires to a central point. (Florida heat?) I would plan on putting a second router in the attic to service the remote viewing/operation of the DVR, or better, figure out how to get an ethernet cable from our office in the back of the house to the attic to allow it to be on our existing home network. Don't think I need a monitor at the DVR, as long as I can remotely operate/view all controls from the home networked PC's and/or from outside via the Internet?

Wanting Good quality cameras, looking at these: (suggest alternatives for better quality with little difference in price)

- (4) 700 TVL Outdoor Infrared Security Camera W/ True Day/Night ICR 2.8-12mm (outside on 3 corners of house, and one under patio roof to watch 2 patio doors)

- (2) 650 TVL Outdoor Night Vision Eyeball Dome Security Camera 3.6mm - (for inside the house)

- (1) CNB VCM-24VF Outdoor Dome Security Camera 2.8-10.5MM True Day/Night 600 TVL - (Above front door in small protected entrance approx 10' up looking out)

The front door camera concerns me as it doesnt seem to have an IR night time capabilities...?

So some other questions:

- Would love to have PTZ capability for a higher end MP camera dome on one corner of the house that will allow me to look down the street to a cul-de-sac 8-10 lost away. Can I do PTZ from my remote location?

- 2.8-12mm Vari-Focal Lens - does this mean I can get a wider view or less by manually adjusting the camera?

- Are other quality cameras by Gadspot, CNB and others compatible with this DVR/system?

- Facial ID quality good on these cameras I've selected?

- Cat5r or RG59? What's easier and better? I want simple, but not at the expense of quality. I'll gladly spend another $100 to save hassle with splicing wires

- Can I get a email with a snapshot on motion detection and still run the DVR 24/7 continuous?

- Any concerns with not having the DVR anywhere I can quickly get to it? Again, stressing the Total remote operation thing as I'd like it to be in the attic or garage..

- Can I run 1 wireless camera with this Dahua DVR?

- What am I missing?

Compare to these systems ? $1500 or so

http://shoppingcctv.com/-p-1763/GW3008C1.html

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1821-lh328501c8t22-lorex-8-channel-edge-500gb-hdd-dvr-w-215-touchscreen-lcd-monitor-8-cameras.aspx

Thanks In advance for any and all help/input/advice

Edited by Guest

So after digging a bit deeper, I see I need a Hybrid DVR if I want to have IP/megapixel camera capability.?

So My new list looks like this:

- Dahua HYBRID 16 Channel Analog plus 16 Channel IP Security DVR/NVR

- (3) 700 TVL Outdoor Infrared Security Camera W/ True Day/Night ICR 2.8-12mm (outside on 3 corners of house, and one under patio roof to watch 2 patio doors)

- (1) 650 TVL Outdoor Night Vision Eyeball Dome Security Camera 3.6mm - (for inside the house)

- (1) Dahua IPC-HDB3200C Hi Def 2 MP MegaPixel Outdoor Mini Dome IP Camera - (Above front door in small protected entrance approx 10' up looking out)

Thanks Shockwave. I actually just got done watching your videos the other day, very helpful. Much appreciate it.

Love the PTZ cam you installed.

Personally, for analog cams, I'd use the CNB all around instead of any "night vision" cams.

The 2MP dome is a nice little camera, but it does need a fair bit of light. It will be great at the front door if you have a decent porch light.

As to some of the other questions:

2.8-12mm Vari-Focal Lens - does this mean I can get a wider view or less by manually adjusting the camera?

Correct. 2.8mm on a 1/3" sensor will give you pretty close to a 90-degree field of view.

Are other quality cameras by Gadspot, CNB and others compatible with this DVR/system?

Any cameras that use NTSC composite video are compatible. That covers just about any analog cameras you'll find out there (at least until you go to Europe). The one exception will be cameras that came with a "package" video system that use a proprietary multi-pin connector - while those are *technically* compatible, making the physical connections will be an issue.

Facial ID quality good on these cameras I've selected?

You can get facial ID from even the cheapest, crappiest of cameras... under the right conditions. It all comes down to the resolution, and the field of view vs. the distance the person is from the camera (and to some degree, the actual image quality). A camera on the corner of the house with a wide (90-degree) view will not allow you to ID someone 50' away. A camera with a tight shot on a "choke point" (like a garden gate, say) at 30' probably will.

Cat5r or RG59? What's easier and better? I want simple, but not at the expense of quality. I'll gladly spend another $100 to save hassle with splicing wires

Cat5 all the way, especially if you're starting with IP cameras. Smaller, cheaper, and easier to work with, and far more versatile. Swapping an analog cam out for an IP cam later on becomes a snap.

Any concerns with not having the DVR anywhere I can quickly get to it? Again, stressing the Total remote operation thing as I'd like it to be in the attic or garage..

The Dahua DVRs and IP cameras work great with remote operation. The DVR web client gives full control over the setup and operation of the DVR; it's arguably easier than controlling the DVR directly. The PSS software will let you view and manage the DVR, and the IP camera directly in the same window.

Can I run 1 wireless camera with this Dahua DVR?

Sure, but I don't recommend it. Wireless should be reserved as a last resort, if there's no practical way to get a wire to where you need to go. Remember that a camera still needs power, so you'll need at least one wire to it anyway.

What am I missing?

Pictures of Kate Upton.

Thanks Shockwave. I actually just got done watching your videos the other day, very helpful. Much appreciate it.

Love the PTZ cam you installed.

Thanks- good luck with your setup too!

LOL, why didn't I think of the Kate pics " title="Applause" />

Thanks both of you, ordered everything today and should have it for a marathon weekend install Friday.

Wish me luck

I saw a post where it was said he was able to connect the DVR via a WiFi adapter to the local WiFi router vs running cable.

I have a difficult chore getting ethernet to where my Dahua DVR is going to be.

So this looks like the top of the line WiFi adapter...

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/ultimate-wireless-adapters/WNCE4004.aspx#

Any reason this shouldnt work? About 35 feet from DVR to Router on same level

Just an update. Well I got started late due to an illness in the family, but last weekend got the DVR setup and 2 cameras installed. Got all accessible from my LAN, and can view via iPhone and iPad. Still having trouble logging in from a remote PC however...??? I hit the login screen, but can't login...so port 80 is open...

ALSO! The Netgear WNCE3001 WiFi Adapter works great from the Dahua FULL D1 8 to my Apple wireless router, so no messing with a long ethernet cable that I could not get from point A to Point B anyway.

Got Motion detect sending me emails on a key entry point, recording working well, learned the basics of searching for past events and still need to spend time figuring out how to snag copies off the DVR for any "real" event.

Now 4 more cams to install, then I really need to dig into tweeking the settings on the cameras as I left them at factory settings.

Thanks forum for all of your help.

Update:

All 5 cameras installed, I think I'll get one or two more 700 TVL cameras as they kick serious butt. The mini dome, not so much. Funny how ya get what ya pay for. The mini dome is just not as crisp and clear, not bad, just an obvious difference vs the 700.

So after digging a bit deeper, I see I need a Hybrid DVR if I want to have IP/megapixel camera capability.?

So My new list looks like this:

- Dahua HYBRID 16 Channel Analog plus 16 Channel IP Security DVR/NVR

- (3) 700 TVL Outdoor Infrared Security Camera W/ True Day/Night ICR 2.8-12mm (outside on 3 corners of house, and one under patio roof to watch 2 patio doors)

- (1) 650 TVL Outdoor Night Vision Eyeball Dome Security Camera 3.6mm - (for inside the house)

- (1) Dahua IPC-HDB3200C Hi Def 2 MP MegaPixel Outdoor Mini Dome IP Camera - (Above front door in small protected entrance approx 10' up looking out)

BigRedFish,

Did you buy what you listed above? I am interested in getting the same setup and am curious to know how much it cost, where you got it from, how you like it, and what would you change if you were to redo it?