fmeacher

Qsee QSD2316L DVR & the net

I have a 3 year old Qsee system that I have just now began the process of connecting it to the net. Or I should have said....TRYING to connect it to the net. I have over 40 hrs in the project and have yet to see any video except on my local monitor hooked to the back of the machine.

I have read everything I can find on the system and it comes down to not having a clue how to follow the instructions and interface the system to my Verizon Actiontec MI424WR wireless router. The router has been working fine with my email accounts and web browsing activities.

I just can NOT make the DVR IP, Gateway, and subnet addresses work with my router. No matter what I try, I can never see the Qsee system video ...even locally when hooked to my router. I know I am a networking idiot but I am curious if anyone else has experience making this system work with this model of router.

I have the DVR connected to my router through the standard RJ45 cable and connectors. The router appears to see the DVR but I can not Ping the DVR IP.

Thanks

Frank

my Verizon

hi. before you put anymore hours into the setup. call verizon to see if they have blocked your router.

we helped a forum member last year over the net and got the system working. then last month verizon did a update and blocked portforwarding. even to the point you cant change the router.

they will allow but at the next monthly rate up.

we are looking at a work around at the moment but even then i think they will keep altering there routers.

i think we are going to see alot of verizon customers comming on here once they have had a update done (just an excuse to get more money )

WHAT! Verison won't allow port forwarding on other ports besides port 80? I can't believe that one.

To the OP, it's terribly difficult to walk you through the process here. Do you know anyone in your life who is good with networking- a gamer perhaps? People who are into gaming and xbox- they usually have no trouble port forwarding stuff.

Watch as much as you can here- videos and all, especially under the advanced tab. You'll likely get the hang of it. Good luck.

http://wifi-wiz.net/

WHAT! Verison won't allow port forwarding on other ports besides port 80? I can't believe that one.

so if the op is on budget package from verizon ....... he should be able to do the same thing as a customer with a $200 a month package.

(and you dont portforward port 80) it was just a option to call verizon before he spends another month trying to set it up.

No matter what I try, I can never see the Qsee system video ...even locally when hooked to my router

you should be able without portforwarding see your system over your LAN so a few things to look at.

your link cable from router to dvr .... is it ok also how far is the cable run.

the other is your q-see dvr its 5 years old whick I.E are you using some of there old units will not have support (old TVT )

The verison comments make no sense to me and if it means that their service, modem, or routers won't do a simple port forward without throwing extra money their way, I know why I DO NOT have verison nor would I ever subscribe. But I don't think that info is entirely accurate. Doesn't sound right.

I'm not a professional like many of the guys in this forum so take this with a grain of salt but my carrier -- Cox -- also blocks port 80 but doesn't charge to "open" another port. So I just assigned a 4 digit port number -- say 8080 -- and ran the utility at canyouseeme.org to check if the port I was assigning was open. Just type in your IP setting, then the port you want to assign to check its status. Remember to set up the corresponding port in your DVR software and make the appropriate settings in your router. I had to resort to a dynamic DNS service to make sure that once things were open and working the frequent changes in IP address from Cox didn't screw up my settings for use in viewing via the internet and 3G network.

The verison comments make no sense to me and if it means that their service, modem, or routers won't do a simple port forward without throwing extra money their way, I know why I DO NOT have verison nor would I ever subscribe. But I don't think that info is entirely accurate. Doesn't sound right.

Makes sense to me. Still fighting with Verizon over them charging me for a month of service I didn't receive or use. Now on 4th bill collector after providing the first three with proof of returned equipment (fiber optics = no service without equipment) and proof of another service provider. I am paying $60 a month less because there's more than one provider is at the street. ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY.