TriVox

Remote monitoring from vessel

Hi!

Up at this hour and I was toying with the thought of how can we remotely monitor activities on-board a vessel when its in the open sea?

Open for discussions.....

hi a ship in open waters you will need satellite broadband 3g or wifi will not work.

it used to be a silly price to setup but over the years its come down but still slow we use it on ships around the UK. not much good for 24hr remote viewing we have units sending recordings back every hour.

interesting. an acquaintance of mine has a yacht maintenance company down here and they use 3G to monitor real time the subscribers boats. maybe here is possible cause most of them stay in the area and go to Bahamas max.

Though 3G might be possible as a Coast Guard before, in the South China Sea alone and you will have problems with the network.

hi a ship in open waters you will need satellite broadband 3g or wifi will not work.

it used to be a silly price to setup but over the years its come down but still slow we use it on ships around the UK. not much good for 24hr remote viewing we have units sending recordings back every hour.

Satellite network might help but i think the data transmission will cost a fortune. I remembered the first UN mission when my Commander briefed us on the cost of making a satellite phone call......geez.....

interesting. an acquaintance of mine has a yacht maintenance company down here and they use 3G to monitor real time the subscribers boats. maybe here is possible cause most of them stay in the area and go to Bahamas max.

My guess is they monitor the yachts at the marina and not when the yachts are sailing. 3G is possible if the sail route is within reception range. Reckon a few test run required to ascertain the feasibility. I did an assessment at a local marina and brought up some issues that many did not realise.

In the air, I know there are limitations but at sea, I think there must be a solution somewhere out there and someone must have thought of this issue before me?

On the open ocean, it's only going to be satellite service, a rough estimate for Inmarsat data service is about $15,000 USD for the equipment, and about $7.00 USD per MB of data, or about $17.00 USD per minute of streaming data at 256Kbps.... Pretty darn expensive, you have to decide if what you are trying to accomplish is worth that cost.

Also, a lot of equipment will not play nicely with satcom, due to the high latency, and "tricks" that satcom data services utilize to increase capability (I.E. packetizing large data chunks and spoofing syn/ack packets to allow better streaming and less retransmissions).

I agree with Tom's point all Vassel/Yacht is hard to transmit signal in Ocean unless it is close to shore harbour.

Satelliate is only way to connect telecom and internet.