Sign in to follow this  
jasauders

How to search for a new camera bracket?

I'm curious about finding a new bracket for my one camera, as the location I'd like to mount it might be a little difficult for the mount I got. I began to look up universal mounting kits, and some of them look decent and have great reviews. However, some reviews indicate the threads did not match their camera body. This made me wonder... how can you verify that it's a match? Is there some sort of code or feature ID that I must look for in order to verify the bracket I'm looking at online will fit my specific camera threads?

EDIT - Well that may have been an open/shut case quicker than I thought. I was searching for more brackets and some of them I came across began to specify the thread size. A few caught my eye, as it's a similar thread size (1/4 20) of a set of bolts I bought for a completely separate project I'm working on. I tried the bolt against the camera body and sure enough, 1/4 20 was the perfect fit. I was noticing some brackets with a 3 digit ID I didn't recognize... 1D0 and 1BA and things like that. I was assuming that may have been referencing the actual mount type...

The only question I have now is... what if I DIDN'T have that bolt? I wonder how I would be able to tell the thread count of the included mount... looks like I have some mid morning reading material.

Thanks for the insight. I should have looked better. I'm a little disinterested in the mount that I have due to the positioning of the one screw. There's a thumb screw to tighten the rotation, but there's also a hex screw on the opposite side to serve the same purpose. Problem is, I want my camera on a direct 90 degree angle with the camera sitting on top of the post.

sony-snca-wmfix10pc-cctv-camera-mount.jpg&sa=X&ei=0e3dT5P6EqO36gGcz4TFCw&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHYPEPeTtpSaoycOzah_p7w9UGC6g

If you take that image and rotate it 1/4 turn to the right, you'll get what I mean. When the camera is on the bracket, the larger nickle-sized round "stop" that you thread against the camera to lock it in place effectively covers the hex screw that stops rotation. In order for me to get a proper 90 degree angle on it and secure it, I have to essentially set up the bracket, then twist the camera on it, then mount it to the wall, since I can't lock down the hex rotation screw AFTER the camera is on due to the nickle-sized round stop. Due to the length of the post, I can't twist the camera on it once mounted. I did get semi lucky though when I mounted it and got it ALMOST dead on, just had to give it a little more nose-dive to get the right angle... but I basically had to force it... so I know I might have been churning the metal ball a little bit inside. It feels secure, yes, but I want to have a better mount if there's ever a round 2 of fighting with it.