hunlock

PSS login error

I recently installed an Dahua FULL D1 8 channel DVR.

I can successfully login to the web service and iDMSS from both inside and outside my network.

Using the same credentials, I cannot get PSS to login to the DVR. I've tried both the Mac and Windows versions. I've tried from inside and outside of the local LAN. Every time I get the same "Invalid Password" error and the account eventually gets locked out.

I've studied and followed the guides I can find from other sites that sell these.

strange...

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks,

Matt

Are you able to get into PSS itself, or is that the password you're running into? Remember that PSS has a login of its own as soon as you start it up, before it asks you about logging into DVR, cameras, etc.

Are you able to get into PSS itself, or is that the password you're running into? Remember that PSS has a login of its own as soon as you start it up, before it asks you about logging into DVR, cameras, etc.

Apologies for not clarifying... I am able to log into the software. Its after I define the DVR, save those settings and attempt to log into that new device that it thinks I have a bad password. I know the login and password are correct because I can use them to log in to the web service or iDMSS. The associated account gets locked out after three or so attempts to authenticate. Keep in mind this happens both internally and externally and with Mac and windows versions.

Please email me a screenshot of your pss add a device screen. It may be something little. Or better yet email me or pm me a temp login

Update:

I figured out why I kept having problems logging in to my DVR.

There are password complexity restrictions within the DVR and even more restrictions in PSS.

It appears that the DVR is limited to 8 character passwords and is ok with lower case, upper case, numbers and special characters ( or a subset of them e.g. @&$!?)(:;".-). PSS doesn't like any special characters in the device setup. There weren't any alerts to illegal characters anywhere along the setup, but it could be argued that it was my fault for not RTFM. What tipped me off was my cursor not moving when I entered special characters in PSS.

It now makes sense why I "forgot" my admin password and the temp account I made for Sean worked... You know, the one I created before changing that admin account to something more secure than "password1".

If there were one thing I'd like to change about the DVR it would be the ability to add a layer of encryption. Passing credentials in plaintext over the Internet, especially wifi in a hotel can expose my cameras to all sorts of nasty folks. To solve this problem, I just pass the rtsp streams to a zoneminder installation I already had running with SSL for live viewing and VPN in to the network the DVR is on to do any playback.

Gotta love Linux.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a custom web service to access these with an extra layer of security. I see there's a .NET sdk, but I actually have another job... I was just using an internal web proxy from 443 to 80 on the DVR until I figured out it was just passing the credentials on 3777 in plain text anyway... Sigh.

Well that's great info that should be 'spelled out' in the documentation. Good catch. Thanks for that update. I'll be tucking this into my brain if/when I move to that dvr.

Btw- how do you like the dvr? Does that one have a fan? Loud?

With the exception of the aforementioned security issue, I really like the product. I mainly went with a DVR over a PC only solution to keep me from spending countless hours fixing and tweaking a PC. It does a great job of just working, it's tweak able enough to satisfy my need to tweak, and it takes some great video.

If there were one ore thing I'd change, I'd add a thumbnail of events to its database as well as a daily and hourly event count to help identify activity at a glance. I may have been spoiled by some of those PC solutions...

It does have a fan, but I wouldn't consider it loud or obnoxious.

If there were one ore thing I'd change, I'd add a thumbnail of events to its database as well as a daily and hourly event count to help identify activity at a glance. I may have been spoiled by some of those PC solutions...

It does not have a thumbnail search, but as far as a day and hour timeline, it does have that. It has it both at the console as well as the PSS remote viewing software. If searching with PSS, be sure to search by time as opposed to search by file. Specify an entire 24 hour period. You will then be shown all of the recording events for that day. You will have the 24 hour timeline at the bottom and a more precise hour timeline at the top:

194763_1.jpg

With the exception of the aforementioned security issue, I really like the product. I mainly went with a DVR over a PC only solution to keep me from spending countless hours fixing and tweaking a PC. It does a great job of just working, it's tweak able enough to satisfy my need to tweak, and it takes some great video.

It does have a fan, but I wouldn't consider it loud or obnoxious.

Thanks for the info. The deal breaker for me is a fan. I do not want a fan in any dvr I consider. Like you, in this instance I prefer stand alone as well too.

Keep in mind that a hot hard drive = a failed hard drive. A good fan with a thermostat inline will keep you going for a long time and do it without a lot of noise.

Something to consider.

It does not have a thumbnail search, but as far as a day and hour timeline, it does have that. It has it both at the console as well as the PSS remote viewing software. If searching with PSS, be sure to search by time as opposed to search by file. Specify an entire 24 hour period. You will then be shown all of the recording events for that day. You will have the 24 hour timeline at the bottom and a more precise hour timeline at the top:

194763_1.jpg

I happen to love that feature and it is one of my requirements when looking for a DVR to purchase.

Keep in mind that a hot hard drive = a failed hard drive. A good fan with a thermostat inline will keep you going for a long time and do it without a lot of noise.

Something to consider.

I understand that. I've been going over a year with a fanless model, but I understand what you're saying. It applies to much more than a dvr recorder as well, when it comes to hard drives. I've only been exposed to one dvr with a fan and the thing sounded like a vacuum. I will not tolerate a loud fan. I'm spoiled with fanless now, so it'll be tough if I ever have to get another one.

Anybody knows why I can remote connect idmss-T with iPhone and with the same parameters I can't with idmss HD in a iPad 3

Thank you all