Sign in to follow this  
jeromephone

lower drag on resources

I saw in a previous post about how geovision ate up cpu resources. Are there any good systems out there that are easier on the computing requirements? I have used a lot of geo but it would be nice to not have to go to IV and tons of ram.

I use ACTi NVR, easy on resources but only work with ACTi cameras. The other product that comes to mind is ExacqVision Start. If they support your cameras, it uses the cameras capabilities for motion detection and uses very little CPU power. Check the review on my blog and also download the 30 day trial version to see if it works with your specific cameras.

Any software that processes images frame by frame for motion detection is going to be a cpu pig. What you can do is lower frame rates and resolution to lower cpu use. Also, some software handle multiple streams, meaning it can process the motion detection and remote viewing through a low resolution stream and record from the high resolution stream. For example, on my ACTi software, I tell it to record from stream 2 (1.2MP) but for remote viewing, show me the camera on stream 1 (VGA) so when I remote view the camera through their NVR software, the client PC is not burdened with processing megapixel resolution and it's easy on the network.

I will check out the exac product. There must be a sweet spot that balances mega pixel rating, frame rate processing power, and storage requirements , and picture quality. We do a fair amount of IP but inmany cases analog still makes sense.