Sign in to follow this  
David Reed

help choosing £1000 system

Hello all.

Im doing some research into choosing a CCTV system to cover my home, and looking for some guidance.

My budget is upto £1000, possibly more, but preferably less.

I want as clear and detailed view as possible for the money. If it means less cameras to begin with, then I am happy with that.

Max of 4 cameras (or 2 HD ones as I am led to believe they cover a greater area due to increased detail) but I am reading mixed reviews about HD and not even sure if its within my budget anyway ?

As well as the DVR recording what goes on (I will only need a few days on record at any time, so I dont need a huge Hard-drive), I want to be able to view the cameras on my HD-TV in the lounge while at home (If I hear a noise outside for example) and I would also like to view them on my Ipad over WIFI (also while in the house). It might be nice to view on my Andriod Phone while out and about, although not fussed about this.

I dont think I need PZT, and I need around 20m-30m of IR I guess.

Again, I'm looking for detail and clarity of picture, and will that mean I need full D1 across all 4 channels?

If a £1000 budget is not really enough to push the quality much past what I would get with a £400-500 system, then perhaps I might as well save myself money and comprimise on detail etc, and stick with a more budget friendly set-up.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dave.

Hi, thanks for the heads up. IP system is something I hadn't considered.

Using that example you gave me, I could add upto 4 cams to it, and the nano would record the data. I then connect it to my Broadband WiFi box so I can view it on my IPad over Wifi, or over the Internet on my android Phone when I'm away?

How does it connect to my TV though as it doesn't appear to have a HDMI output? Can I only use it with a proper PC monitor?

With this system, do I need anything other than the Nano and 4 appropriate cameras?

I'm not very computer-experienced, as you can probably tell, so are these IP systems easy to set up?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Hello all.

Im doing some research into choosing a CCTV system to cover my home, and looking for some guidance.

My budget is upto £1000, possibly more, but preferably less.

I want as clear and detailed view as possible for the money. If it means less cameras to begin with, then I am happy with that.

Max of 4 cameras (or 2 HD ones as I am led to believe they cover a greater area due to increased detail) but I am reading mixed reviews about HD and not even sure if its within my budget anyway ?

As well as the DVR recording what goes on (I will only need a few days on record at any time, so I dont need a huge Hard-drive), I want to be able to view the cameras on my HD-TV in the lounge while at home (If I hear a noise outside for example) and I would also like to view them on my Ipad over WIFI (also while in the house). It might be nice to view on my Andriod Phone while out and about, although not fussed about this.

I dont think I need PZT, and I need around 20m-30m of IR I guess.

Again, I'm looking for detail and clarity of picture, and will that mean I need full D1 across all 4 channels?

If a £1000 budget is not really enough to push the quality much past what I would get with a £400-500 system, then perhaps I might as well save myself money and comprimise on detail etc, and stick with a more budget friendly set-up.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Dave.

Dave where are you in the UK?

That budget doesn't sound too unrealistic if you want a good system.

Clarity is a combination of a good camera and the recording resolution.

Some cameras have vari-focal lenses which can either zoom in on a specific

targeted area or zoom out to cover a wide area (wide angle) so an installer

would need to look at the project for you to get the best proposal together.

Edited by Guest

Hi, thanks for the heads up. IP system is something I hadn't considered.

Using that example you gave me, I could add upto 4 cams to it, and the nano would record the data. I then connect it to my Broadband WiFi box so I can view it on my IPad over Wifi, or over the Internet on my android Phone when I'm away?

How does it connect to my TV though as it doesn't appear to have a HDMI output? Can I only use it with a proper PC monitor?

With this system, do I need anything other than the Nano and 4 appropriate cameras?

I'm not very computer-experienced, as you can probably tell, so are these IP systems easy to set up?

Thanks in advance, Dave

hi Dave. the new nano dvrs are now being built with hdmi. but android tv box is also an easy way to view and play back so you can hide your dvr. (picks up from your wifi)

the nano can now take upto a max of 8mp

for your home you could install a MP camera at the front of house and good analog CNB at rear and sides

yes 4 way hybrids are easy to install everything can be done in cat5 for either cameras

if you want some IP address of some systems to try on your android just let me know .

HI NN - Im in Essex, so sadly a bit too far I think.

Tom, the Nano4 is exactly what I need, a couple of quality cams, with one or two lesser quality domes that I can use in doorways - excellent!

Are these new Nanos with HDMI out currently, or is it worth waiting till they come out?

Other than the Nano and some cams, I guess all I will be needing is a reel of CAT5 and connectors ?

I suppose as I am intending to do most viewing on my Ipad/TV... I can do without a Monitor for setting up etc, as I could just use/swap over my normal PC monitor when needed.

I just want to provide some clarification on viewing the nano on your HDTV. There are 3 outputs on the Nano: VGA, TV Out and Spot Out

VGA - used to obtain full control over the unit. Can view and access all video and menus. Must use VGA to configure the unit.

TV Out (BNC) - can view video in single or 4 channel. Cannot switch between channels unless the view is changed via the control panel which is done through VGA.

Spot Out (BNC) - Single channel view, but can be set to rotate between channels of your choosing - default is 3 second intervals.

If your HDTV doesn't have a VGA port you can still connect the Nano to the TV via the VGA port by using a VGA to RCA/SVideo or HDMI converter.

To connect the nano via Spot or TV Out you'll need a BNC Female to RCA Male Adaptor and connect to the composite input on the TV.

Viewing via iPad or Android device is very easy. I think the Aver app works very nice and the latest version allows playback (one channel at a time though). You can use the app internally over wifi as well as externally over 3G/4G or wifi.

I happen to like the Nano and it's been my DVR of choice over the last 1.5 years. It's not perfect and it would be nice to have some remote menu features, but I can't complain about the video quality which ultimately is the most important aspect (to me anyway). The hybrid feature is one that initially captured my attention and I'm slowly working towards adding IP cameras for some clients. Having a choice between IP and analog is a definite plus.

Cheers Groovy, excellent, my tv has VGA so the nano is perfect. Thanks for the indepth review.

Thanks to Tom for suggesting it initially too.

This forum is wonderful, I'm now off to find some suitable cameras. Does anyone have any suggestions around the £150-200 mark?

Regards, Dave

I just want to provide some clarification on viewing the nano

not on the new nano. it does have hdmi. also another change is the limit of IP cameras on the old it was max 5mp on first channel only and 1.3 on 234. now the unit is total 8mp across all 4.

the update to the app has play back and snap shot and also switch on and off of sensors (or lights if relay fitted)

I see the new 16CH Nano has HDMI, but the 4CH and 8CH don't seem to have it yet - at least it's not listed on the Aver website. Do you have an expected date on when the new 4CH and 8CH with HDMI models will be available?

Hi, been reading up on cameras and now thinking of getting 2 Vivotek IP8332.

They appear to come with short cable, so I'm guessing (as I'm rubbish with computers etc) that an option is to use POE, which handles the signal and the power in one. This is using something called Cat5 cable, right?

However, my broadband box only has one spare socket on it, and the Nano 4 doesn't appear to have a whole bunch of cat5 sockets either, so now I'm lost as to how I will wire these things up?

do I need to buy a special POE splitter box that will power all the cameras and then a cat5 cable from that goes into the nano?

195210_1.jpg

Sorry, That's the first thing I thought of when you said 1000lbs.

I use a Vpon21 system. It's a computer/DVR that's works pretty good.

http://vpon21.com/

I spent $600 USD on it and $60 USD for 6 used cameras (I only used 4)

I'm not sure how much that is in British Ponds.

bump.

So does anyone know if I wire up the cameras using cat5 and then use CNB connectors on the ends to plug them into the Aver Nano, whether this will power them?

thanks.

Dave.

bump.

So does anyone know if I wire up the cameras using cat5 and then use CNB connectors on the ends to plug them into the Aver Nano, whether this will power them?

thanks.

Dave.

hi. Dave. no DVR will only do video ... for power you will need to either install a local power supply (same area as camera) or use a multi output unit .... this can be installed along side your dvr.

195247_1.jpg

Oh, that's annoying.

So it's either buying that box, which looks like its about £50, and then running Cat5, or I need a nearby plug.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just run an extension lead to near where the camera is? Are there any downsides to that?

Cheers

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just run an extension lead to near where the camera is? Are there any downsides to that?

hi. no it would cost you more extention lead then 12v power supply

hi. lead kits are never a good idea.

even if you use a lead kit or a reel of cat5 with baluns the work involved with installing them is the same.

I only want 2 cameras would I be better off buying this, then I wouldn't have to do so much wiring etc?

as soon as you have installed to 2 cameras the two blank screens are going to drive you potty.

with using cat5 (and not lead kits) you can have 4 cameras down 1 cable. or run 1 cat5 to the rear of your house and 1 cat5 to the front and that gives you 2 cameras at rear with power and 2 at front.

if your only going for 2 analog cameras. and not looking for MP ip then i would look at a dahua kit.

dahua DVR / 4 cameras / power supply / all BNC connectors / 100m of rg59 and power cable / stripping tools / and crimp set for less than half your budget.

Hi Tom, yes good points. I see what you're saying.

Okay, so a multi out if they way to go.

Just curious, you mention 2 analog cameras, but I thought the Vivotek IP8332 that I mentioned were mp cameras, and not analog? Is there a big diffence in quality between the duhua unit you suggest and the nano/Vivotek 8332 that I am currently looking at?

sorry. yes i thought you was going analog with you posting the lead kits.

if you are looking at ip then cat5 is needed to locations of cameras.

as for the Vivotek IP8332. this is only a 1mp camera (budget camera with high price) always look for 1.3mp and above

cheers tom, you really are a gent. thanks.

okay, so lead kits are wrong and I need a multi outlet with Cat5. I think I'm starting to get my head round this.

I was thinking about the 8332 as two of them plus the nano4 is pretty close to my budget. Could you suggest any better cameras without going over say £300 per cam, or is my budget too small to be realistic here?