ichayan

Home security CCTV installation, please help.

Hi All,

I am a newbee, I would like to install cctv infront of my house as my car parked on street outside my house was hit twice causing deep dents. I suspect if it's deleberate or accident. I am looking for decent camera which can capture number plates. I bought a kit from maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/500gb-4-channel-securix-h.264-network-dvr--4x-ccd-cameras-and-iphone-app-477048

Two dome cameras and two bullet cameras. I was planning to fit two dome cameras in the front (two red spots) and two bullet at the back. After reading instructions I think dome cameras are not good for outdoor use.

195042_1.jpg

After trying I realised I cant fit the dome cameras in place under the small projecting roof without bit of cutting the wood (which is not difficult). It will not be exposed to water or excessive sunlight. But there will be bit of evening sun.

The kit comes with pre made cables. I have to make a hole in the wall big enough for the BNC connector and cables to pass through. can I chop the connectors off the long cable and the connectors on the camera and twist join the cable?

Should I go for all bullet cameras?

Did I purchase the right kit? Do you have any recommendation of a decent kit?

Is there any kit coming with no pre connected connectors and I attach cable on my own?

I have 20 days to return the kit.

Finally can I replace two cameras with one at the green spot in picture. Will it give enough coverage for window door and the street infront.

Every help is highly appreciated

Hi. first off yes i would return your system for a refund. looking at the spec you cant workout what it is your buying

Display Resolution 720x480 (N), 720x576 (P)

Recording Resolution CIF : 352x240 (N), 352x288 (P)

2CIF : 704x240 (N), 704x288 (P)

4CIF : 704x480 (N), 704x576 (P)

sounds good then they put this.

Monitoring Speed 120 / 100 ips @ CIF (NTSC / PAL), **Guaranteed

Recording Speed 120 / 100 ips @ CIF (NTSC / PAL), **Guaranteed

Playback Speed 120 / 100 ips @ CIF (NTSC / PAL), **Guaranteed

monitoring speed is the same as Display resolution................... it all point to a cif system. you want at least a 4cif or D1

looking at your house i would use domes and not bullets.

as for a DVR look at all the posts for a dahua unit of Dahua (use search top right of this page) you will find screen shots and software threads (dahua kits) are not much more than the maplins unit

@tomcctv

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I got the brand names to look for.

The camera you have specified is there any brand to look for? Or any place to buy it?

Why do you recommend dome? Bit curious as installing bullet is straight screwing it, where dome need bit of cutting, but not very hard.

Whats your thoughts about the cabling? About chopping off the coonectors etc.

Thank You

Why do you recommend dome? Bit curious as installing bullet is straight screwing it, where dome need bit of cutting, but not very hard.

bullet cameras at the hight you have is your picture can and will be moved by people or kids passing even stolen.

since your cameras are not looking for any distance i would look at the mini CNB it is only the size of a golf ball. in white / black or gray

resize.php?img=vb625w3.6.jpg&width=400&height=400

Whats your thoughts about the cabling? About chopping off the coonectors etc.

i dont recommend pre-made cables to start with. RG59 or in your case i would use cat5 with baluns (you only need 1 cable for your install to run the 3 cameras at the front)

chopping connectors of the camera ends in most cases will void warranty

Thank you for the wealth of information. Most cameras I have seen comes with bnc & power connectors attached to it. Can you send some links please? I got it from Maplin for £230. Do you think I will be able to make 4 cameras DVR prefer 8 channel but can live with 4 channel at around £250? What should I be looking for in the technical spec of cameras Nd DVR. I appreciate your time and patience