Sign in to follow this  
cclark89

CCTV Newbie looking for guidance

Hello,

I'm brand new to all this, and am looking for some advice. I'm moderately tech savvy, so I should be able to follow you.

I'm looking to help protect my house just a little bit.

I took the first step by purchasing a Zmodo 4Camera DVR System. By your standards it is probably not a great system, but I didn't want this experiment to break the bank. I'm not sure if I can post a link or not as a new member...here's my attempt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881523034&Tpk=81-523-034 . If the link didn't work, its the Zmodo PKD-DK40107.

I don't have it set up yet....I'm in Kansas and we've been in the mid-90s/100s for what seems like a month or two...not exactly the time to be crawling in the attic. I did test it a little bit though and I do think it will serve my needs well enough.

When testing I was able to access the camera view on my laptop on my network without too much trouble at all.

What I seek is the ability to have something to take with me from room to room while at home and be able to keep tabs on what's going on outside. I believe my best option for this is a tablet. From my little research, Zmodo uses the IP Cam Viewer app by Robert Chou. I'm not sure if I would even need an app to try and access the cameras while on my own local network...?

Anyone have any experience using this app on a tablet?

I'm curious how good of a tablet I need to get this app to work. I really wouldn't use the tablet for anything but CCTV viewing. Maybe an occasional quick internet browse, but that's it.

I like what I see in this cheap tablet, anyone think this would be adequate? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858528001 If my link won't work, its the Mediasonic SmartPad MTP-710.

Again, I really have no idea where to start on all this...any good tips and tricks from someone more experienced would be more than I have currently and are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

As far as tablets go, I'd probably just grab a used 1st gen ipad, its quality hardware and there are plenty of app choices.

That said, short of having serious security issues, the idea of walking around the house with a tablet and monitoring stuff seems silly.

I think a more elegant solution would be to broadcast your DVR output through your home cable system. I do this and its a great way to view what the DVR sees on any TV in the house. Google "CableTronix CTMM-10" I turn my TV to channel 110 and see what's going on.

I may have to look into that.

I use an HTPC with Windows Media Center and actually stream TV to the rest of the house using Xbox 360's. I wonder if the DVR would integrate with that.

Not a bad idea with the tv, but I find the remote jockeying too much if it doesn't work quite right and you need to switch the source on the tv remote and then go to the cable remote and then back to the tv remote- a pain. I have a netbook with a remote view open all day to see the cameras- it helps to see when people knock at the front door too. I just take the netbook with me if I'm hanging wherever in the house, if I care enough to.

I ended up just purchasing the Tablet. Only $120 bucks...if it doesn't work, I'm out return shipping.

I think It should be what I need for quick access to my cams.

Now, if it would only cool down so I can get my cams set up.

.....From my little research, Zmodo uses the IP Cam Viewer app by Robert Chou.....

Anyone have any experience using this app on a tablet?

I've installed it on many iPads as well as iPhones and Android phones. I haven't installed it on any Android Tablets though, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

I have a handful of clients with older DVRs and IP Cam Viewer works perfectly with them. A couple of guys like to keep a close eye on their businesses via the surveillance system when they're at home and use their iPads over their home wifi to do this.

C'mon - get out there and sweat a little

Actually, I'm right there with ya. Wait until you get a nice cool day. The way the weather has been you may need to wait until September though.

Not a bad idea with the tv, but I find the remote jockeying too much if it doesn't work quite right and you need to switch the source on the tv remote and then go to the cable remote and then back to the tv remote- a pain. I have a netbook with a remote view open all day to see the cameras- it helps to see when people knock at the front door too. I just take the netbook with me if I'm hanging wherever in the house, if I care enough to.

Depends on your setup, I'm usually on the couch, switch to channel 110, see what's going on, then switch back to whatever show was on. I just need two way audio so I can tell people to get lost!

C'mon - get out there and sweat a little

Actually, I'm right there with ya. Wait until you get a nice cool day. The way the weather has been you may need to wait until September though.

Yeah, last year I quickly realized uh, it's summer- there won't be any ideal day in an attic until mid fall. You either wait or you sweat and work. I chose to sweat and work- I wanted my system installed.

Good luck!

After sunset maybe... Have an attic fan pull out the hot air and then in a few hours, your should be ready to work.

Yeah, last year I quickly realized uh, it's summer- there won't be any ideal day in an attic until mid fall. You either wait or you sweat and work. I chose to sweat and work- I wanted my system installed.

Good luck!

My IP Cam viewer works fine for out zmodo while on the LAN. My problem was IP conflicts on the other zmodo, 2 on one LAN gets interesting w/ the port forwards and what not....

If you have a dynamic IP, and it changes on you, you might want to use noip.org to link your ip cam app to...