gazz

which setting to choose

Just got a sunkwang ptz camera, running it from a swann dvr8-1200 atm,

The camera has a choice of pelco-D, pelco-P or SK-P (i imagine that's a sunkwang protocol)

And baud rates from 2400 to 9600,

The dvr can work with the pelco-D and -P protocols, and any baud rate,

is one better than the other?? i.e. which settings should i choose if it matters at all.

I would say if the camera can operate at 9600 and the dvr can handle 9600, than go with 9600. The response will be slightly quicker with a higher baud rate. As far as protocol, just make sure they are both the same on camera and dvr.

yup, both support 9600 baud rate,

i've chosen peloc -D, as i believe that's the newer one, tho exactly what the differences between pelco -D and -P is i dont know.

I could be wrong, but protocol is not a difference. It's compatibility. Dvr's give you choices so this way

they are compatible with different types of PTZ's. I do not think one is 'better' than another.

i have read in a few places that pelco D has more features than pelco P, and also the data is sent differently as a result,

but as you say, dosent really matter too much, the sunkwang ptz cams i have can work on pelco D and P, from 2400 to 9600, the dvr can do all that and so can the ptz controller i got today,

so i'm sticking with pelco D 9600.

aye, i'm going for pelco D too.

i do wonder about ptz controllers and their dedicated buttons,

i have a couple of 'hi-speed ptz controller' units,

196579_1.jpg

very simple things, 2d proportional joystick, the usual set of 3 buttons for zoom, focus and iris, numbers to select the camera's etc,

then 'menu' 'auto' 'preset' 'call' 'shot' buttons, but my sunkwang camera's don't seem to respond to the menu or auto buttons,

i get into the osd using preset 95, but i do wonder if a different protocol would enable the dedicated buttons.

Just got a sunkwang ptz camera, running it from a swann dvr8-1200 atm,

The camera has a choice of pelco-D, pelco-P or SK-P (i imagine that's a sunkwang protocol)

And baud rates from 2400 to 9600,

The dvr can work with the pelco-D and -P protocols, and any baud rate,

is one better than the other?? i.e. which settings should i choose if it matters at all.

Pelco D and Pelco P are pretty much the standard of the PTZ cameras. Regardless of who, every manufacturer includes Pelco D.

If your DVR has a choice of SK-P (they can integrate it by obtaining the source codes for the serial commands from Sunkwang), then go with it. Nothing better than the native protocol.

If your DVR does not have it, then there's nothing wrong with going with either Pelco D or Pelco P. Just make sure that your PTZ is set to the same protocol as on the DVR, and then match the communication speed.

See if the PTZ has an automatic protocol detection feature built-in. Then you can just match the speed, set the DVR to Pelco D, and control away!