ab2reza1360

Why Ip camera is better than analog?

SDI, Analog, either way, not IP cameras, and follows the same principle of being a dumb camera attached via coax to a DVR that provides the recording and intelligence. When at ISC, the booth people reffered to it as analog HD as their way of explaining it and that's what stuck in my head.

I certainy get the appeal for many alarm, security, cctv SI's that don't want the headache of configuring IP networks and switches and can just plug & play the cameras into a DVR and configure just the DVR. But as Sean said, there's no real price advantage over IP and may never be.

Hey Tom,

I saw a pistol grip camera just like that one the other day and they wanted a whopping $9.95 for it!

I can attest to the disappointing IQ of some analog cameras and I suppose the same can be said about Megapixel cams (some IP cams are also analog)

as for cost... if you're looking to set up your own system for home use, don't be afraid to try the used market. You have to be patient but the wait can be worth it.

For example: I purchased $5200 worth of gear for $1075. That includes the Aver 6840eNVR that allows both IP and analog cameras. and five megapixel cameras.

One camera I got was a 5mp day/night one 3mp day/night and 3 IQeye852 @1.3mp. each.

if you add the analog equipment,11 cams+ controllers, PTZ units etc, valued at over $12,100 that I paid roughly $1430 for. that comes to roughly $2505 that I have invested in a system that would have

cost $19,994.00 if everything was purchased new. BTW a lot of the pieces I bought were new-old stock items.

Do I feel like I have an $20,000 system? no way! but do I feel like I have a pretty good set up for the investment? you bet!

In today's market, 19,000 will get you a lot more bang for the buck in all IP megapixel gear but I don't think you can beat what I have for the investment.

one other point. Yes, some gear is outdated but, that's why I got it at the prices I paid.

To all the pro guys out there, I understand you can't install this kind of equipment for your customers, it just wouldn't be practical no matter how you look at it.

All I'm saying is, for the guy that wants to, you can find deals out there if you're willing to be you own installer and support tech, go for it. I know Tom can vouch

for some of the obstacles he helped me with so, I'm not claiming this is something everyone will want to try.

Cheers,

John

Man, the quality is stunning, I can actually see the engineer picking his nose when he should be watching the switching signals. I sense a major environmental disaster in the offing.

It's obvious we're watching a recording of a monitor displaying the train (although I can't tell if THAT is live or recorded)... I'm just not sure if the HDcctv camera is the one watching the train, or the monitor.

No, it's someone holding a camcorder looking at a monitor that's showing the feed from an HDcctv cam. I saw this bit from ASIS (ISC?) 2011.

If I recall correctly, someone set up this little train track with a bunch of 2+ MP IP cameras (Axis, Sony, Arecont, etc.) and some HDcctv cameras so that people should judge all the cameras doing the same thing. I don't remember for sure who set it up, but I want to say the HDcctv Alliance.

If I recall correctly, someone set up this little train track with a bunch of 2+ MP IP cameras (Axis, Sony, Arecont, etc.) and some HDcctv cameras so that people should judge all the cameras doing the same thing. I don't remember for sure who set it up, but I want to say the HDcctv Alliance.

Sounds like something about their speed. I'm sure the uncompressed, zero-latency video was quite impressive in a side-by-side live comparison.

I don't suppose they had a similar comparison showing *playback* of recorded video?

One thing I've really grown to like about IP cams is the flexibility in viewing, recording, testing, and adding/swapping cameras.

I can have multiple recorders going at once, and can also view over the internet using either the camera connections or the DVR connections.

Right now, I'm recording my 6 main cams on one PC using Blue Iris, 4 of the most critical ones on a separate PC using an NVR5000, and can view them on my client PCs or phones using a variety of interfaces, depending on what my goal is. I can also add or switch cams quickly and easily, with no pesky license issues, and have another PC that's used as a test bed in parallel without disrupting my recording systems.

I realize I'm not the target market for these systems, but it would be hard to go back to a dedicated single-vendor solution. They'd have to offer pretty awesome capability for a very reasonable price.