Hi,

a family member wants an existing camera replacing, but they would also like another camera adding to the same location...

Im guessing due to the age of the previous one, its a BNC cable,

Is there any way to add another camera and share the BNC cable some how?

A few... none of which are particularly desirable or cost-effective.

You could plug both cameras in a switcher, quad, or multiplexer, and send either a split-screen view of them down the line, or toggle between them; either way, you won't get both of them full-time and at full-resolution.

Or you could get some sort of video matrixer that will encode both signals down the same line and decode them at the other end... that will be rare and expensive.

Or you could use IP cameras, or IP encoders, then use ethernet-over-coax adapters to run network over the coax line, then IP decoders at the other end to convert back to analog... but that's complex and expensive as well.

The most cost-effective overall would be to use the existing wire as a "fish" to pull in a new run of Cat5e; you can then run up to four cameras over that using baluns (assuming they're powered separately).

That was the only way i could think of too,,,however its quite a run, under a load of concrete and not sure it will be that easy, then if i loose the cable half way im completely screwed!

That was the only way i could think of too,,,however its quite a run, under a load of concrete and not sure it will be that easy, then if i loose the cable half way im completely screwed!

in that case biwave is what you need ...... we carrie a few and have used lots with no problem.

2 video / power / data and audio. everything comes with power supply just order 12 or 24v which ever supports your camera.

and there not that expensive.

2500_02.bmp

195791_1.jpg

That seems perfect!

WHere are you based?

I cant seem to find any over in the UK?

based in UK. pm your area and i will send you a local supplier.

The only options are converting the analog video to IP via an encoder (video server) with something like the Veracity HIGHWIRE ethernet-over-coax system:

Four-port Ethernet over Coax

Use a four port unit at the camera end and a single port unit at the DVR end. If you need to convert the IP signal back to analog, you would also need suitable decoder(s).

The other option would be FM Systems' Two Channel Video Diplexer., You would need both a transmitter and a receiver, which would cost $770 - pretty substantial! http://www.fmsystems-inc.com/cw/Details.cfm?ProdID=95&category=4

Found one listing for that VDS2500 on fleaBay... $365 for the set. Also not cheap. Hence my statement:

you could get some sort of video matrixer that will encode both signals down the same line and decode them at the other end... that will be rare and expensive.

in that case biwave is what you need ...... we carrie a few and have used lots with no problem.

2 video / power / data and audio. everything comes with power supply just order 12 or 24v which ever supports your camera.

and there not that expensive.

2500_02.bmp

I have used these on a number of occassions with good results. Cost $370 for the set in Aust. When compared to the cost of labour , cable & cherrypicker to run another cable it is the best solution.

195791_1.jpg

195791_1.jpg

Wow that is awesome... 2 video signals AND power over a single coaxial cable? I will keep this ion mind in case I ever need it.

I did buy one time one piece of junk for sending two video signals over one coaxial (no power), and image quality was kinda crappy.