Sign in to follow this  
Roger Smith

Guide to designing a CCTV system for homeowners

I see a lot of requests from homeowners on the proper equipment on home installs, I figure I would just give my input. Just some basic stuff to make it a little easier for a DIY'er

1st - Do not skimp on the money when designing a CCTV system. If you want a good quality system, you are going to spend money, simple as that. Your system is only as good as your weakest link. Don't get crappy cameras and a good DVR, or vise versa.

Choosing cameras - Select where your cameras are going to be. Take EVERYTHING into consideration when choosing a camera after choosing the locations. What are you trying to capture? Is color a necessity, or the ability to see better in darkness? B/W cameras can usually see better in low light levels, check the cameras LUX rating. Is the camera going to be exposed to the elements? Is the camera going to be mounted in a location where it could be vandalized? Is there ambient light at night, or do you need an IR camera? All of this will also play into selecting the other components to your system. If you have the money, spend it and get the right camera for the job.

When running your cables, stay away from any high-voltage lines, fluorescent lights, and high-voltage breaker panels. If you are running a wire to a location that has limited space, or is difficult to access, I would go with cat-5 and baluns, in case you ever want to add cameras to your system. Do not cut corners when terminating the wire, or you will have problems. I use twist on BNC's a lot (if using Siamese wire), but I recommend compression BNC's if you know how to do it, especially if the DVR is going to be in a confined area. Always make sure there is NO copper braid touching the center conductor.

Choosing power supplies - Choosing a power supply can be tricky at times. Always check all of your cameras power consumption ratings, and voltages, to be sure that the power supply you get can handle the load, especially if you have a lot of IR cameras.

I have been an installer for about four years, and there is still a lot that I can learn. There are so many ins and outs in the field of CCTV. Hope I have helped someone with this. If anyone can add to this, please do.

I see a lot of requests from homeowners on the proper equipment on home installs, I figure I would just give my input. Just some basic stuff to make it a little easier for a DIY'er

1st - Do not skimp on the money when designing a CCTV system.

Good advice, but will not work

people buy based on PRICE

If you want a good quality system, you are going to spend money, simple as that. Your system is only as good as your weakest link. Don't get crappy cameras and a good DVR, or vise versa.

Choosing cameras - Select where your cameras are going to be. Take EVERYTHING into consideration when choosing a camera after choosing the locations. What are you trying to capture? Is color a necessity, or the ability to see better in darkness? B/W cameras can usually see better in low light levels, check the cameras LUX rating. Is the camera going to be exposed to the elements? Is the camera going to be mounted in a location where it could be vandalized? Is there ambient light at night, or do you need an IR camera? All of this will also play into selecting the other components to your system. If you have the money, spend it and get the right camera for the job.

When running your cables, stay away from any high-voltage lines, fluorescent lights, and high-voltage breaker panels. If you are running a wire to a location that has limited space, or is difficult to access, I would go with cat-5 and baluns, in case you ever want to add cameras to your system. Do not cut corners when terminating the wire, or you will have problems. I use twist on BNC's a lot (if using Siamese wire), but I recommend compression BNC's if you know how to do it, especially if the DVR is going to be in a confined area. Always make sure there is NO copper braid touching the center conductor.

Choosing power supplies - Choosing a power supply can be tricky at times. Always check all of your cameras power consumption ratings, and voltages, to be sure that the power supply you get can handle the load, especially if you have a lot of IR cameras.

I have been an installer for about four years, and there is still a lot that I can learn. There are so many ins and outs in the field of CCTV. Hope I have helped someone with this. If anyone can add to this, please do.

Yea I kinda figured that, it's just my opinion. You get what you pay for. Of course it also depends what you need the system for. If you just want to find out what bastard is stealing your newspapers then you can probably get away with a cheap system. If you want to protect your home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365, then spend the money to get a good system.

Yea I kinda figured that, it's just my opinion. You get what you pay for. Of course it also depends what you need the system for. If you just want to find out what bastard is stealing your newspapers then you can probably get away with a cheap system. If you want to protect your home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365, then spend the money to get a good system.

I can tell lots of examples about "customers"

deal with them for about 10 years on retail level

person lost 50-60K and he want to buy Costco system and so on...

look around forum what people talk and buy

Actually I notice more and more inside integrators and installers around my city

Nobody want to sell or install to residential homes

I turn down at least few calls per month

unless person want talk about quality

usually takes 2-3 min to know whom u talking to

I can tell lots of examples about "customers"

deal with them for about 10 years on retail level

person lost 50-60K and he want to buy Costco system and so on...

look around forum what people talk and buy

Actually I notice more and more inside integrators and installers around my city

Nobody want to sell or install to residential homes

I turn down at least few calls per month

unless person want talk about quality

usually takes 2-3 min to know whom u talking to

I could never quite understand when a customer asks you, the professional, on what kind of equipment to buy, then they turn around and buy the cheapest piece of junk they can find. If they are not going to heed your advice, then why ask? They used to do that to me all the time. This one club I did had it's DVR confiscated by the police and wanted me to get him a DVR , we dealed strictly with Chance-i. I told him I could get him a chance-i card and build him a machine. So what does he do? Without consulting me, he goes out and buys some piece of junk DVR I have never heard of, that I have no clue how to operate, and all the instructions are in Chinese I was so pissed

Edited by Guest

In reference to my last post.

This club also had me come in and pre-wire for 32 cameras, one being a PTZ, and one mic, while they were remodeling it. They changed the plans for where the office was going to be ( the place where all my wires where run to) And they re-routed all of my cabling without telling me. The next time I went into where the office was supposed to be, there was a kitchen there, and all my wires had been moved. Some of the labels had been cut off so they can fish the wires down the wall of the new office.

(edit)

sorry for derailing my own thread, just showing how cheap people can be

In reference to my last post.

This club also had me come in and pre-wire for 32 cameras, one being a PTZ, and one mic, while they were remodeling it. They changed the plans for where the office was going to be ( the place where all my wires where run to) And they re-routed all of my cabling without telling me. The next time I went into where the office was supposed to be, there was a kitchen there, and all my wires had been moved. Some of the labels had been cut off so they can fish the wires down the wall of the new office.

(edit)

sorry for derailing my own thread, just showing how cheap people can be

Does not surprise me a bit

I could never quite understand when a customer asks you, the professional, on what kind of equipment to buy, then they turn around and buy the cheapest piece of junk they can find. If they are not going to heed your advice, then why ask? They used to do that to me all the time. This one club I did had it's DVR confiscated by the police and wanted me to get him a DVR , we dealed strictly with Chance-i.

Chance-I ! Woow

did not hear this name for while

used to sell lots of cards years ago ( even had custom GUI done for us)

still have in my garage probably about 15 cards collecting dust

I could never quite understand when a customer asks you, the professional, on what kind of equipment to buy, then they turn around and buy the cheapest piece of junk they can find. If they are not going to heed your advice, then why ask?

I've gone through this so many times over the years and I'm immune to it. Not necessarily with CCTV, but in general. Why do they ask? They're looking for confirmation on a decision they already made. Whether you agree with them or not it makes no difference. You're the professional, but what the hell do you know? They always know better.

I could never quite understand when a customer asks you, the professional, on what kind of equipment to buy, then they turn around and buy the cheapest piece of junk they can find. If they are not going to heed your advice, then why ask? They used to do that to me all the time. This one club I did had it's DVR confiscated by the police and wanted me to get him a DVR , we dealed strictly with Chance-i.

Chance-I ! Woow

did not hear this name for while

used to sell lots of cards years ago ( even had custom GUI done for us)

still have in my garage probably about 15 cards collecting dust

I am not in the business any more. But I still tinker with my own system daily, and do some things on the side to keep my skills sharp. All I know is Chance-i and GeoVision. What are some good DVR systems today?

I have found that ZMODO has some very good, base level to mid level DVRs that offer what ever you need (PTZ, Remote monitoring, networking, HD, etc.). Buying the systems without a Harddrive makes them about 15% cheaper, just add your own. I always try and stay away from the Costco all in one packages but have found that even some of those can be acceptable. As stated in the beginning of this thread .... YOUR SYSTEM IS ONLY AS GOOD/STABLE AS ITS WEAKEST LINK!