bentech

CCTV signal to boost and split in 2

Hi ,

I'm having a configuration with 4 cameras.

They are at 1000 feet with CAT3 and baluns from a local with monitors.

From that local , qty 4 RG6 cables are going to a DVR in an house . (see attacment for the plan)

The pictures at the local is OK (can be better but OK).

When I split it to be able to see the picture on the monitor (local) and on the DVR in the house , picture is rolling.

Output seem to be too noisy or too low when splitting the video signal at the local side.

I tried to use an VIDAMP but samething.

(http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl=fr&biw=1254&bih=703&tbm=isch&tbnid=j1gE_BVOswks4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.surveillent.biz/speco-vidamp-1-out-video-amplifier.aspx&docid=HTA896ODolAhFM&itg=1&imgurl=http://surveillentsecurity.com/ProductImages/VEN/VEN-1018876644_LARGE.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=u_v-T9iRMqrY2gXg-KyjBA&zoom=1)

Any idea or any device I can use to fix this problem ?

Thanks

plan.thumb.JPG.f617949f9e99e9dea9356535e0924bec.JPG

Ok, so cat 3 perhaps is not the best choice. Are you using existing wire or did you run the cat-3 yourself? If its existing, you should test your voltage drop, even if you get a good tone or have continuity. If you can, RUN CAT-5 or better yet CAT-6. Also, you may just amplifing noise and signal that is degraded. Try boosting the signal from Head-end, although be careful doing this, you dont want your signal/noise ratio to be wacky. Have you thought about getting powered-inline amp-baluns?

I used this CAT3 cable because it was a 6 pairs and gauge was a bit bigger (18). I needed 6 pairs because there is an intercom and access systems also.

I used 4 pairs for the cams , 1 for the intercom CO line and one for the trigger button on the intercom/access. I passed this underground cable myself.

The power (12v) for the cam is local so power to the cam is OK.

I thought about using active baluns instead of passive.

For me I had a few options:

-Use a booster / spliter 1 to 2 at the local side

-Use a passive baluns (Is it possible to use a passive baluns at the CAM side and an active at the other end ?)

Any idea to solve my problem ?

Thanks again...

yeah, old thread, but...

there's nothing wrong with cat3 for this; cat5 or 6 would provide *zero* benefit.

1000' is around the max for passive baluns; *past* the max for cheaper passives. active at either end will improve things; active at both ends is ultimate, but shouldn't be necessary.

video amp won't help as the problem isn't *just* signal loss at that range, but signal degradation due to capacitance. all you're doing with an amp is boosting an already-poor signal.