Gary J

Controlling DVR Motion Events

Equipment -

DVR ECOR264-9X1

Cameras Speco CVC5300DPVF (5)

I get hundreds of motion events per day no matter how much I tweak the grid selection, sensitivity and min area in the Edit Motion Grid. Even shadows from clouds create events and bugs flying in front of the camera at night. Smart Search helps some where I can pick a point in the grid and search for movement there over a time period but even that returns many events. Is there some kind of primer or tutorial for selecting motion event criteria?

It's called "pixel based" motion detection. Your DVR is looking for the pixel to change state and it doesn't matter what causes pixel to change rain, snow, clouds, shadows....

What you are looking for is called analytic based motion detection where the system analyzes the video feed for humans, cars, boats.... Your system can not do this so you would need to change your DVR encoders and build a small server to support the analytics.

Check out this video

http://www.vitamindinc.com

Thanks but I need to work with this current DVR for which I paid good money in a residential application.

Thanks, I am getting better with Smart Search being able to not miss an event I want while limiting the number of results. Anyone else have any tips with regards to what I have to work with?

For residential, what exactly is your issue? New system, looking at everything? Most of us get past that and view footage when some event happens.

For residential, what exactly is your issue? New system, looking at everything? Most of us get past that and view footage when some event happens.

As I said, too many motion events occur per day. I am looking for ways to tweak the DVR so they are more likely people, animals, vehicles, etc. and less likely changes in brightness from clouds, motion from smaller objects, etc.

I looked in the manual for that dvr and didn't find anything for the smart search feature you mention. Whatever that is, that's the best you can hope for when you let the dvr channels sense motion. You can't completely block out every movement with cameras outdoors. For this reason, people install PIR sensors for greatly improved motion sensing. It's been discussed a lot here. Do a search for it.

I looked in the manual for that dvr and didn't find anything for the smart search feature you mention. Whatever that is, that's the best you can hope for when you let the dvr channels sense motion. You can't completely block out every movement with cameras outdoors. For this reason, people install PIR sensors for greatly improved motion sensing. It's been discussed a lot here. Do a search for it.

The manual that was packed with the DVR does not even mention Smart Search. The manual is a firmware release behind the DVR. The cameras are PIR. I am getting better results by limiting the motion alert areas to a smaller set of pixels.

Another parameter in the Edit Motion screen not mentioned is Motion Delay. Any idea what that might be?

The three parameters are -

1 Sensitivity 1-10

2 Min Area - number of pixels that must contain movement to trigger alert

3 Motion Delay - 1-5?

I would guess motion delay to be a user defined setting where the dvr will delay recording after motion is sensed, in an effort to cut down on false momentary triggering. Like a bird flying by in one second, but the delay to record is set to four seconds so it won't record that event. I'm guessing...

Also if you have the setting, keep post recording of events to a short time, perhaps 15 or 30 seconds tops after motion recording. This will help keep file sizes much smaller.

That is probably a good guess. I should probably call tech support to make sure.

My understanding is recording is 24/7 with space re-used as needed. Events can be deleted but that is probably just marker information.

Here is the response I got -

Hello Gary

Thank you for contacting EverFocus technical support in regards to the ECOR264-9X1.

Motion delay allows you specify how many samples of motion are needed on the image before the DVR considers it as a motion triggered event. So if more than one object moving is needed to trigger a motion event, this will be the feature to allow such that.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Does that mean one person should trigger a motion event in the masked area if Motion Delay is greater than 1 or not?

It's called "pixel based" motion detection. Your DVR is looking for the pixel to change state and it doesn't matter what causes pixel to change rain, snow, clouds, shadows....

What you are looking for is called analytic based motion detection where the system analyzes the video feed for humans, cars, boats.... Your system can not do this so you would need to change your DVR encoders and build a small server to support the analytics.

Check out this video

http://www.vitamindinc.com

VitaminD is phenomenal. I cannot imagine having a system without it. Accurate enough that I have no problem sending pics to my cell phone WHEN there is a person in an area for example. Fast and easy to review other events that are captured during the day. I do run other software non-stop recording though, since it does not do audio and is limited to 1.3MP although can be used with some 3MP cams. The other thing that is rarely mentioned is that you can save months of clips on a 1TB drive. Anyway...

Not that hard to add to an existing system, pick up a used Axis encoder on ebay 241 or 243 usually around 100. Or use one channel of an old 2400 quad encoder around 50 used. Actually you could use 4 channels of the 2400 if you limited the capture to 320x240 per channel to keep the frame rate up on the encoder.

Not that hard to add to an existing system, pick up a used

not interested in adding anything.

You and maybe one other person can get out there and do some motion trigger experimenting and see what, when, and how things will trigger. That's about all you can do to see how well your settings work. You have some decent trigger settings though- better than just one typical sensitivity setting with masking. Good luck. Controlling motion triggering outdoors is not easy.

My testing is not showing much difference if Motion Delay is set to min 1 or max 5. And the wind and shade seems to set off motion alerts all day long. But at night I am only getting a handful of alerts on all cameras and night is what I am most interested in.