jisaac

PTZ's vs. Multiple Fixed Cameras

Here is a question I would like to know your preferences on.

In general large rooms, parking lots, and industrial areas do you prefer putting up PTZ's to cover a large area? Or do you generally lean towards multiple fixed cameras covering the whole location the ptz would cover?

I would like to hear what you think are the pro's and con's of your "preference". I am not asking if you think one is better than the other. I am just asking which do you lean towards in those type of installations?

I personally love to play with PTZ's and find them much more entertaining than looking at fixed cameras for any length of time.

But I personally lean towards fixed cameras because of the guaranteed coverage. But which do you prefer PTZ's or Fixed?

if the client is going to have a guard monitoring the cameras a decent amount of time throughout the day/nite i would say go PTZ but if no one is monitoring go fixed.

clients luv to say "i want the cameras that can move and zoom" more for the cool factor and then when an incident was missed because the camera was on tour covering the opposite side of the parking lot, they come to you and say why did i buy a camera that was $2k+ that didnt deliver

if price wasnt a concern i would prefer 20 spectra iiis covering everthing like a laser maze lol

but back to your question since ive rambled on the obvious - i would prefer ptz because they are a better quality camera cover a lot more area at variable distance, are fun, and bring in good maintenance contract revenue when the motor goes down from over use

PTZ is nice, but then how many clients can afford them. Also, remember a PTZ is useless without a fixed camera covering the area as well, at least for security purposes.

Basically I wouldnt use a PTZ without a fixed camera, unless like griff said, install a ton of PTZs and use some of them in fixed positions

i want a PTZ now though .. anyone

i want to put it looking at the beach so yall can zoom in and out and check out the fishes and coconut trees

by the way that system that I got figured out today was fucking awsome when we got these cameras up and running. This was 11 cameras over a 15,000 ft strip. They were mounted at 120 ft each except for one was at 60 ft. Not sure of the lense but I could read the letters on a guys shirt 3,000 ft away. The room we watched it in was 4 42" plasmas ( 2 on each side of us and 2 projecters on a 100" screen ( 2 pictures side by side 50" each. ) So when you brought up each camera and zoomed in it was like you were surrounded by the video. I felt like i was flying. By far the coolest setup I have ever seen and probably will ever see again. Once in a lifetime chance.

get some photos dude ..

make some excuse to go back like yah left your screwdriver or someting .

i measured the 18X zoom at around 150' distance, so i guess that had to be the 25x?

oh no. Cant take photos here. Not unless I like to have my face imprented into the asphalt while I have every single M.P. beat the living daylights out of me. I couldnt even get a camera or a phone with a camera in there if i wanted to. There is no more secure place than were i was

Area 51

now i gotta get back to the software, man yall chit chatting all night tonight ..

Edited by Guest

no not area 51. you can pretty much guess where i was. just dont think i should say it in this instance.

I could guess, but I wouldn't want to be right. Don't want you to get in any soup. I have Google Earth though and could probably figure it out. Not!

Sounds like a great experience though, something right out of a good movie.

ya, it is just like the how the movies portray.

Oh ya i love the google earth also. I use that thing all the time. Its so much fun to fly around the earth. Whats really fun though is to trick the gullable people in your life in to thinking that it is live! They will try to see themselves or their car for hours!

originally posted by rory:-

Also, remember a PTZ is useless without a fixed camera covering the area as well, at least for security purposes.

Basically I wouldnt use a PTZ without a fixed camera, unless like griff said, install a ton of PTZs and use some of them in fixed positions

You probably don't realise it rory, but you've just very succinctly summarised the over riding reason why the average Town Centre CCTV system installed here in the U.K., and costing perhaps the equivalent of US$ 900k, is an almost total waste of money.

Everyone thinks that if the camera doesn't move, then it's no practical use, and yet nothing could be further from the truth. We may have the unenviable reputation of being the CCTV capital of the world, but it's going to be years yet before the industry gets even the fundamental basics right.