Sign in to follow this  
SecurityNub

The whole house is Dry Wall...........Inside and out.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for mounting cameras on a house that is all dry wall inside and out? And I'm sure someone will pop up saying that the outside is not dry wall and in fact some other random material, but regardless, it looks like dry wall with it's white chalkiness too it's construction.

Any tips or tricks for dealing with that sort of material? If someone has put screws straight into it and it has held, then I'll try it. I'll even try those plastic things for dry wall I use on the inside of my house for pictures. But I want something that has worked for others before I random try something that pops in my head.

I LIKE THESE THEY SELF DRILL AND CAN BE REMOVED LATER AND THE HOLE FILLED EASILY

196822_1.jpg

Good choice for most cameras but not for heavy outside pendant-mounted cameras. For them, try this:

196823_1.jpg

E-Z Ancor 2-Pack Toggle-Lock Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors

For very light plastic indoor mini-domes, even standard drywall anchors will hold just fine, but the ones Numb-nuts pointed to have the advantage of not requiring a pre-drilled hole. Just use a power screwdriver and it drills the hole itself (except if you hit a stud, nail, electrical wire or pipe).

E-Z Ancor 2-Pack Toggle-Lock Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors

I used this. Self drilling portion sucked, had to pre drill almost the same sized hole because I kept stripping the self drilling part. Works so far. And as far as taking it out. I'll just put some putty over it and spray paint over it when that time comes.

Thans.

oooooh those look great. The principal you need to adopt is to spread the load as widely as possible. There is a limit though and at some point the whole caboodle will tear itself through the material. If it's that heavy in your judgement then you need another solution. Mount a piece of either wood or steel between across the studs and mount the camera to that. Some painting of the plate will need to be done to tidy up the look of the thing but it should help.

I once installed a series of wall cabinets that were to hold loads of pot full of fruit jam (jelly). This was a drywall so I cut a piece of 3 x 1 inch timber through the middle at 45° and mounted one piece across the wall studs and the other to the rear of the cabinets. Those cabinets are full of heavy preserves and they are still absolutely plumb and solid fixed to the wall.

If it will work for those a heavy camera will be no problem I assure you.

I do the same when mounting display screens to the ceiling of shops and offices where they have a wooden floor ceiling above, , a good stud finder is essential.

∘∘∘∘∘

I am always just as concerned about the property as I am about the camera, regardless what they cost I always like to leave things better than when I found them and no matter the value of the camera, it's useless if the mounting fails.

Five pounds isn't heavy by any means though but I take the view that belt and braces hold pants up better than just luck!

Use Toggler "Snap Toggles". The screw can be removed as many times as you want.

http://www.toggler.com/

Plus they are available at Lowe's Hardware now.

these are the best that i've ever used, a bit more work then the self drilling stuff, but way stronger! my 80" tv is wall mounted with this. only hit 1 stud, the rest is the snap toggles.