Brent1971

Anyone used the EH1008H-4 Nano DVR?

Why not just use the aver app....... Switch alarms on and off or relays for lighting and play back recorded footage. Which you can't do with 3rd party apps

I read the previous comments with some interest as I have just replaced our ageing Teleye DVR with the Aver EH1008H. The install went fairly smoothly apart from the clunky Aver software which appears to be written in the dark age and I have to agree with DarrenHD regarding the screen resolution and the multiple modules.

I still have a number of software issues and hopefully members of the forum may be able to help.

1. I note that Groovyman & Darren are using the I-Cam Viewer app to view the system. I have used the app for about a year now to view my ip cams and I am a big fan. However, I am unable to get it to work with the Aver EH1008H and I wonder what I am doing wrong. The latest update now lists the specific model number and despite selecting it the app refuses to connect.

Message to Darren and Groovyman - what model number are you using to get the app to work?

2. Although I can operate the PTZ controls through the VGA module I haven't managed to find any software that allows me to operate the controls remotely. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Many thanks in advance, btw.... Great forum.

I am using "AVerViewer" on my iPhone 3GS - but it crashes so much I switched to a third party app named "IP Cam Viewer Pro". It's 5 bucks but well worth it and supports the Aver Hybrid DVR. I'd highly recommend that app, although as you point out PTZ doesn't work.

Ok, I'd like to update my post as I've been using my Aver EH1008H Hybrid DVR for a few weeks now, and I have a Megapixel IP camera connected to it (in addition to 4 analog cameras, one of which is PTZ).

I purchased a Jetview JE-M820BOA HD Megapixel 720P IP camera. Link is here:

http://www.jetviewcctv.com/product_info.php?cPath=118&products_id=177

OK, it's a cheap camera, but it does support ONVIF and RTSP. It's not the greatest - it does give me a 720P (1280x720) image at a bit rate up to 120000kbps but in reality if you want any decent FPS (frames per second) you have to leave the bitrate at about 2000. The Aver DVR does see the camera when it's configured as an ONVIF (If you search for the camera it finds that), but it only displays at 0.23 MPixel (so it's some kind of basic camera support when using it with ONVIF compliancy. With ONVIF support I was hoping for full support but I guess you can't assume that, so that was a let down for me). However, using RTSP it does detect it as 0.93 MPixel and it's picking up the H.264 primary stream from the camera. Advanced camera options are not available as this camera is not on the supported IP camera list, but it does work.

The problem I'm having is that I can find no way for you to actually display a 720P image with the Aver software (using any of the Windows tools or the native VGA out of the DVR). My 720P image is squished into a 4:3 aspect ratio image. There is no option I can find to change this at all with the Aver. So I'm a bit upset about that. At least I have an image. I have e-mailed the Aver tech support about this in the hopes they can add full support for this camera.

Question: Is ANYONE out there using a HD IP camera connected to this DVR? Do you get a proper 720P or 1080P image with the proper aspect ratio?

Overall the points still stand from my original email. I have another, different brand, 2.0 MPixel IP camera on order and it should arrive in a couple of weeks, so we will see how well this one works.

Edit/Update: I've been trying out the CMS3000 software (which is available on the Acerusa website) and it's ok, if a little confusing at first. Immediately upon starting it I got a Network Service failed to start!). A quick Google search informed me that if something else is running on port 80 then you will get that message - change the Alarm port to 85 or something else in the CMS3000 setup, then it will work.

Ok, so I got my DVR setup with it, and displaying as a monitor. Some things I wish it had:

-no way I can see to add fps on screen (frames per second) to each of the camera displays - although you can do this in the remote console, you can't in CMS3000, which is strange

-you can select 4:3 or 16:10 "Monitor Type" and the software will utilize higher resolutions (assuming your computer supports them) up to 1920x1200. The problem is you are limited to your display layouts, and I can find no way to properly display a widescreen 720p image. You cannot select a 2x2 layout if you select a 16:10 monitor type - that is only available on a 4:3 monitor type.

-no matter what I did (even setting video to "High") the analog cameras are not as sharp as the direct VGA output from the DVR. This, however, is not true for the IP camera - it pretty much looks the same via the DVR's VGA output or via CMS3000.

-the DVR's VGA output, remote console, and CMS3000 all have differences in the options available which is strange, forcing you to choose what method you want to use. Do you want to display fps? No choice but to use Remote Console. Do you want the best most fluid analog camera output? Use the VGA output from the DVR. I'm still learning the software so hopefully some of these issues are just due to my lack of experience with it.

Darren

1. I note that Groovyman & Darren are using the I-Cam Viewer app to view the system. I have used the app for about a year now to view my ip cams and I am a big fan. However, I am unable to get it to work with the Aver EH1008H and I wonder what I am doing wrong. The latest update now lists the specific model number and despite selecting it the app refuses to connect.

Message to Darren and Groovyman - what model number are you using to get the app to work?

I'm using Model "Avermedia EH1008H". I have the router(s) set to forward 80, 5005 & 5550 to the DVR and usually use port 80 or 5550 to connect via IP Cam Viewer (or the Aver IViewer). In IP Cam Viewer make sure the port is HTTP and not HTTPS. Also, I'd check to see that the user account has permissions for remote connections and that the appropriate cameras can be viewed.

Tom, which Aver app are you referring to. I am using AVerViewer on my iPad and iPhone. This works OK most of the time but doesn’t provide PTZ control or any of the above mentioned options. Ideally I want an iPhone App that allows me to control PTZ whilst I am out and about. The Aver programs on the CD are totally confusing and appear to be written years ago in the dark age. The biggest problem is screen resolution, all our monitors are wide screen format and most of the Aver programs refuse to load unless I change to a specific deep screen resolution. This is a real pain in the butt. On my Windows 7 desktop I am using DVR Remote Control but getting it to operate my PTZ control is hit and miss. Am I missing something?

Tom, which Aver app are you referring to. I am using AVerViewer on my iPad and iPhone. This works OK most of the time but doesn’t provide PTZ control or any of the above mentioned options. Ideally I want an iPhone App that allows me to control PTZ whilst I am out and about. The Aver programs on the CD are totally confusing and appear to be written years ago in the dark age. The biggest problem is screen resolution, all our monitors are wide screen format and most of the Aver programs refuse to load unless I change to a specific deep screen resolution. This is a real pain in the butt. On my Windows 7 desktop I am using DVR Remote Control but getting it to operate my PTZ control is hit and miss. Am I missing something?

Try the CMS3000 software - it will utilize higher resolutions. You can download it here:

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/support/downloads.asp?product=CM3000%20Standard

You have to pick CMS3000 standard from the drop down for it to show up.

I agree the software is not the greatest. Did you hook up any 720p or 1080p ip cameras? I have one 720p camera but I can find no way for the Aver software to display the image in the proper aspect ratio, so it's squished into a 4:3 window in the software.

The Aver software is written for 16:10 screen resolutions. You're most likely using a 16:9 monitor which cannot display the native resolutions the Aver software requires. At some 16:9 (or 4:3) resolutions some Aver software components will work (like Remote Console), but may not look the way you want or expect.

The Aver software is written for 16:10 screen resolutions. You're most likely using a 16:9 monitor which cannot display the native resolutions the Aver software requires. At some 16:9 (or 4:3) resolutions some Aver software components will work (like Remote Console), but may not look the way you want or expect.

While that may be true, I can find no way to tell the software to display the incoming video image in the proper aspect ratio. I've tried all sorts of screen resolutions and no matter what the software automatically fills the image to the window and does not allow you to specify if it's an incoming wide screen image or not.

Most software has an option to allow you to "display image in aspect ratio" and will enable bars at the top and bottom to allow the image to display in the proper way.

Does anyone have a 720p image displaying properly in Remote Console, iMatrix, or CMS3000?

Just an update, I talked with Aver tech support and there is no way to change or force an aspect ratio. So you'll have to live with squished images, which is a real shame.

They are "thinking" about adding that feature to a possible future update, but I'm not personally holding my breath

Just an update, I talked with Aver tech support and there is no way to change or force an aspect ratio. So you'll have to live with squished images, which is a real shame.

They are "thinking" about adding that feature to a possible future update, but I'm not personally holding my breath

I heard that last year during a training webinar (which they no longer do) when people were asking for moveable windows.

There are some features I love about Aver DVRs & software, and others that are really annoying. But, I can say that about every brand of DVR I've used. I'm thinking the feature you want should have been there from the beginning though. Seems silly to not be able to get the correct aspect ratio out of a surveillance product.

I need to ask - if you save video and convert to avi or mpeg is the aspect ratio correct when played back in a video player like WMP, VideoLan, etc?

I heard that last year during a training webinar (which they no longer do) when people were asking for moveable windows.

There are some features I love about Aver DVRs & software, and others that are really annoying. But, I can say that about every brand of DVR I've used. I'm thinking the feature you want should have been there from the beginning though. Seems silly to not be able to get the correct aspect ratio out of a surveillance product.

I need to ask - if you save video and convert to avi or mpeg is the aspect ratio correct when played back in a video player like WMP, VideoLan, etc?

I haven't tried that yet, but I was told by Aver tech. support that the only way to see the proper aspect ratio is to export the video and play it back.

The software that came with the one IP camera I have has an option to "display image with aspect ratio" which is basically what Aver needs to add. I don't think it would be that difficult, to add a bar at the top and bottom of the image (lets say a 720p image) to give it the right aspect ratio.

I agree it's a feature that should be there if you are claiming you are supporting MegaPixel IP cameras. I just assumed that the DVR would display the image properly. I paid 500 bucks for this DVR and I'm upset that it doesn't have (what should be) a brain-dead essential feature.

Also, the FPS performance of my IP camera, when viewed through the Aver DVR is pathetic. I get like <5 FPS in either the direct VGA output, the webview, or through the CMS3000 software. If I view the same image through the IP cameras' own software I get a pretty fluid 30 FPS 720p image.

I think what I will do eventually is to use all IP cameras using the same software (like 4 IP cameras of the same brand that use their own software) to get the best performance and just use a computer instead of a DVR to watch the preview and record the video.

I still have 4 analog cameras (one of which is a pretty decent 480TVL outdoor PTZ camera with 27X optical zoom) so I don't really want to replace that - as outdoor megapixel IP PTZ cameras are expensive...

Also, Aver tech. support told me support for adding additional IP cameras is "on hold"....whatever that means. I think (but this is a guess) that they will soon discontinue the current Nano models and basically drop support and updates for it.

At least they answered you. I asked about additional IP camera support a few weeks ago with no response. It's not looking like they're forging ahead with all guns ablaze.

At least they answered you. I asked about additional IP camera support a few weeks ago with no response. It's not looking like they're forging ahead with all guns ablaze.

I was getting email replies from Robert Diaz (tech support), takes him 1-3 days to reply and his answers really didn't help. He didn't really offer any solutions, just confirmed the limitations.

Then i tried the live chat on their website and talked to someone named "Jen" who was a bit more helpful, she again confirmed the limitations of screen resolution and aspect ratio, but said they were thinking about adding that. So in the end no promise of any fixes, no time frame, but at least they know about the issues.

I'm not holding my breath for any resolutions or updates, but as I said I will slowly move to a PC based solution with all IP cameras that are at least 720P. A good analog camera can give you a good image, but even a cheap 720P camera (like the gazillion on ebay for <$200) gives a more crisp image from what I have seen so far.

Aver appears to be moving away from cctv at least from what I can see. I have had really bad luck with their tech support and warranty coverage. They will not even respond to my problems at this point.