woltert1

Camera difference in D/N to TDN

What is the visual difference between a day night camera and a true day night camera? I am currently using CNB VCM 24 VF's and am happy with them. I need another camera to watch another area that is around 250ft or less away. I found a GANZ ZC-D5550NXA camera but it is a day/night camera and not a TDN camera. Would I notice a picture quality difference or anything else?

Has anyone used the ganz camera model with success or problems?

Any pictures to share?

Camera sensors are sensitive to a wide spectrum of light beyond what human eyes can see, particularly infrared. With B&W sensors, the extra spectrum can be beneficial at night, as there's more ambient IR than visible light.

With color sensors, though, the ambient IR can adversely affect the color balance and even the exposure level. So color cameras have an IR cut filter that blocks the IR wavelengths. However, this lowers their effectiveness at night.

"Standard" day/night color cameras are usually just color cameras without the cut filter, so at night they get the extra light (and switch to B&W for clearer image and less noise), but tend to have poor color rendition in the day.

"True" day/night cameras have a movable IR cut filter that sits in front of the sensor when it's in color mode, but moves aside when the camera switches to night mode. That's why you'll hear a "click" when you power up your 24VF.

So, what visual difference will i notice? Would I notice a picture quality difference or anything else?

Has anyone used the ganz camera model with success or problems?

Any pictures to share?

So, what visual difference will i notice? Would I notice a picture quality difference or anything else?

I believe I already explained that:

With color sensors, though, the ambient IR can adversely affect the color balance and even the exposure level. So color cameras have an IR cut filter that blocks the IR wavelengths. However, this lowers their effectiveness at night.

"Standard" day/night color cameras are usually just color cameras without the cut filter, so at night they get the extra light (and switch to B&W for clearer image and less noise), but tend to have poor color rendition in the day.

"True" day/night cameras have a movable IR cut filter that sits in front of the sensor when it's in color mode, but moves aside when the camera switches to night mode.

Thanks for the answer Soundy. I guess I may be asking it the wrong way. Compairing the picture of my CNB 24VFs, what is the difference in picture I will notice.

Thanks for the answer Soundy. I guess I may be asking it the wrong way. Compairing the picture of my CNB 24VFs, what is the difference in picture I will notice.

I`m not a cctv technician but have consistently used both 850nm and 940nm for about 6 months...I don`t know the camera you speak of but the difference you will notice in using infrared will be that blue may appear as purple,green a bit washed out looking etc...there will be differences in colour but as far as I have noticed while using IR cameras there is no difference in quality aside from the colour being affected...as I say,I`m not a cctv technician or professional but I`ve used IR cameras constantly and this is the only thing that has been apparent for me...there`s been no difference in definition or detail of view...

(maybe you`re asking for something other than the explanation given and if so I`m sorry for being mistaken)

Thanks, but the CNB VCM 24 VFH is not an ir camera. I am trying to find the difference in picture i will see if i were to switch to a D/N camera verses what i am using now.

Thanks, but the CNB VCM 24 VFH is not an ir camera. I am trying to find the difference in picture i will see if i were to switch to a D/N camera verses what i am using now.

Comparing something like a VFL-20s to a VCM-24VF is a huge difference in night vision. The 20s series are pretty blind without a lot of light, essentially useless, even on a well lit street. The thing I don't like about the 24VF series is that they use an extremely aggressive noise reduction system that ends up smearing detail at night time. Also you get this fog looking stuff on road surfaces as it tries to cope with noise.

What I am trying to find out is what will be the difference in the picture between the ganz camera in my original post and the cnb 24s i have now