j2sin_26

Swann package

I have been looking for a system for a little while now and have stumbled across what appears to be a good deal. I am aware that Swann (lorex, q-see, etc) is not of the highest quality, however is it adequate for home use? The package contains the items below for approximately $400.00. This is currently in my price range and I plan on upgrading cameras when feasible if I don't achieve the desired results. Thanks for the input and alternative recommendations are welcome!

Alpha D21 8 Channel DVR

500GB Hard Drive (installed)

600TVL SwannTruColor Cameras x 3

700TVL Pan / Tilt Dome Camera x 1

Mounting brackets for Dome Camera

BNC Cables 60ft / 18m x 3

BNC/RS-485 Cable 60ft / 18m x 1

Power Adapters & Splitter

Remote Control (with Batteries)

Software CD

Mouse

Ethernet Cable

Mounting Screws & Plugs

Operating Instructions

Theft Deterrent Stickers x 4

**Let me know if more info is needed**

I can't find a manual online for that DVR. I can't even find it on Swann's website. I found it on Costco and Ebay though. Something with a bunch of features such as DVR, I don't buy them unless I can thumb through the PDF first to see how it works.

Just remember, you get what you pay for! That system sounds awful cheap to include a PTZ camera as well.

That makes sense and I appreciate the response. For a decent system, how much should I anticipate spending and what brands should I then be looking at? It seems like most of this stuff is sold online, leaving me unable to speak to an actual dealer in person to get recommendations. it's important for me to have good video quality, features and be able to pull video up online or via iPhone. Thanks again!

Side note, I did find that system at Costco. It is currently on sale for $150 off the original price, therefore it's usually more expensive than that $400 price, which made me wonder if it's a good deal and worth purchasing.

In the context of what you may need to do the job, it may be worth it. In the context of good equipment, it probably won't be. Your question is incredibly, remarkably, popular here. It's actually not that difficult to get a useful system in line for yourself, but some logical steps need to be taken, the first ones NOT being the equipment. If you just think you need a system and then look for the best deal, I can promise you that you'll be spending at least double the amount you could have, and triple the amount of work it would normally take to install it all. So consider answering these questions for yourself if you haven't, first-

- How many locations do you need to cover

- Will the cameras be inside, outside, or both

- How many cameras would be your ultimate coverage

- Figuring roughly, how long will ALL cable runs need to be

- Figure you'll need more cable than what you just came up with

- What is the routing plan for each cable to get it to the cameras

- How close to the locations to cover can each camera be

- What is the ambient lighting situation at every location

- What if any obstacles are there at each camera location which will dictate where you must put the camera

- How and where will you most often be monitoring your system

- How many people will be responsible for monitoring your system

- How will you need to record- on a schedule, or full time

- Is ID important, or do you just want to have general overviews

- Are you very picky about picture quality in general, and are you unlikely to be satisfied with anything less than digital 'still-camera' quality images on screen and recorded

THEN you think about the gear. Then you search the dvr, camera, and IP forums and get a sense of what people like, dislike, and everything in between. Do a search here for costco and swann here and see how many threads come up and what is discussed. After all that homework, you're smarter and more informed and more capable of making your own decisions for yourself. And that helps everyone else avoid answering the same questions, more often than not, falling on deaf ears as well.

Hope some of that may help you really think about and plan your install. Good luck.

That makes sense and I appreciate the response. For a decent system, how much should I anticipate spending and what brands should I then be looking at?

As Shockwave indicates, it will really vary depending on your actual needs, but anticipate $100-$150 per camera, to start with... a "decent" four-channel DVR can run anywhere from $100 to $400 depending on what features and performance you need.

It seems like most of this stuff is sold online, leaving me unable to speak to an actual dealer in person to get recommendations.

Any *good* online store will have a phone number, email address, or some other sort of contact that will let you communicate with a real person. If it doesn't avoid it. If it does and you get no response from the contact info, avoid it.

I did find that system at Costco. It is currently on sale for $150 off the original price, therefore it's usually more expensive than that $400 price, which made me wonder if it's a good deal and worth purchasing.

Even $550 for all that indicates low-quality equipment. You should expect to pay $400 or more JUST for a decent PTZ, never mind the rest of it. (Hmmm, looking up that unit... it's not a PTZ, just a PT - fixed lens. Not terribly useful.

The specs also list D1 recording, and 240fps total on another line... but doesn't specifically state that it does both at the same time, which given the cost would lead me to think it probably only does 240fps at CIF resolution (352x240), or 7fps at D1.

Thank you very much for the replies. They have been very helpful and given a good foundation for what to look for and what to expect. I know it's routine and I guarantee it has been asked hundreds of times on this forum and I appreciate the responses. With that, can anyone recommend a system that has a quality, reliable internet/Iphone viewing option. I know people have had issues with Swann Iphone app and it is generally not recommended, so what do you guys use? Thanks again.

As far as low-cost equipment and standalone DVRs go, Dahua makes some really good stuff. Their DVRs have an easy-to-use interface, they have a good web client as well as a "thick" client, and the mobile apps work quite well. They're sold under a variety of different brand names in North America; there's a VERY partial list here: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=31629

Also suggested for cameras are CNB's "Monalisa" series - they work great at night with very low light. Be sure to check CNB's website (www.cnbusa.com) for a list of unauthorized resellers, though - there are a number of online stores that are not authorized to sell them and buying from those will void any factory warranty coverage.

I bought a cheaper system first, Night Owl, but compared to my Dahua based unit, it was pretty lame. The Dahua was about $50 more and has much better software. CNBs are great cameras, but Qvis also makes some nice ones. Things to look for in a camera are a quality DSP, Monalisa, Nex2040 and Effio are some good ones, as well as actually having a CCD (vs CMOS) and an actual IR cut filter. Cameras are really where you get the image quality.

[edited by owner to remove inaccurate description of an old and boring topic]

I bought a cheaper system first, Night Owl, but compared to my Dahua based unit, it was pretty lame. The Dahua was about $50 more and has much better software. Unfortunately the owner of this forum and a really good seller seem to be in the middle of a lovers quarrel so we can't post the vendors name but PeeperSurv or was it Eye, should give you a clue. CNBs are great cameras, but Qvis also makes some nice ones. Things to look for in a camera are a quality DSP, Monalisa, Nex2040 and Effio are some good ones, as well as actually having a CCD (vs CMOS) and an actual IR cut filter. Cameras are really where you get the image quality.

Yeah, the lens and image quality is good, but the software is not simple enough

I have been enjoying the Qsee QT528 DVR. It was perfect for my needs. I'm glad I didn't get a 4 channel DVR as I quickly figured out that I wanted 8 after setting up my first 4 cameras. A 12 would have been perfect but I guess they don't make those.

Definitely look for a unit that does D1 30fps on all channels at the same time.

digiblur have you had any issues with Q-see's technical support or anything? I was looking at their products but some reviews stated that the support was a little sketchy.

digiblur have you had any issues with Q-see's technical support or anything? I was looking at their products but some reviews stated that the support was a little sketchy.

I have CM9 of Android loaded on my WebOS HP Touchpad tablet. Their tablet QT View HD app wouldn't show up in my Google Play market. So I hit them up on support and they sent me the APK with no issues. Very quick too! Threw it in my DropBox and pulled up the tablet and it installed and worked perfectly.