stephanovich

Instaqllation wiring and frozen ground...?

I have several cables that I have placed just under the surface of the ground to several cameras...some are laid just to easily change the siting of cameras...while it`s not an issue at the moment,in the winter the ground will become frozen and I want to ask if this will affect anything concerning video feed or power to the cameras ?

i do intend to place them in some type of piping but I don`t really want to start digging trenches !

Also,what about leads/wiring that runs outside the house down the walls etc ?

I`d really like some advice before I find there are any issues and I can do something about it.

Thanks

Did you run the wires in the ground? Are there any splices in the ground? How far are the runs that you

do not want to dig them up and put them in pipe?

Did you run the wires in the ground? Are there any splices in the ground? How far are the runs that you

do not want to dig them up and put them in pipe?

Yes I placed the wires in the ground at about 12 inches on a temporary measure at first as it was very difficult to do it unobserved...the cameras are there for the night-time naked peeper/prowler/general all round moron next door...so I didn`t have much chance to do a permanent job although there have been no problems so far.

There are no splices in the ground and there are several runs of a maximum of 10 metres outdoors.

I am thinking of placing in piping at around the same depth (12 inches)...as it is I would need to pull up a few things to do this,decking and there`s a concreted pathway/area so if I can get away with just the piping it will make it a lot simpler.

edited to add...the situation here is not easy...it`s not as if I`m installing a system with no obstacles or hindrances in that this needs to be unseen...we are going through a serious situation with the police involved etc although they have taken their time...they didn`t realise until they saw the footage what this guy does...(there are some thing`s I don`t want to say here).

(A little summary justice was delivered so things have been quieter but this fool will not stop I`m convinced )

What kind of cables, cheap premade or good siamese cable? You're answering you own question though. The install is too difficult for certain reasons, and you don't want to trench in pipe. Leave it and see what happens. A foot down isn't bad. We have our cable feed from the street buried about the same and it's been fine for years- just the coax buried. It's just the way the service provider does it here. In NY, we freeze over. If it's a decent cable you'll probably be ok.

What kind of cables, cheap premade or good siamese cable? You're answering you own question though. The install is too difficult for certain reasons, and you don't want to trench in pipe. Leave it and see what happens. A foot down isn't bad. We have our cable feed from the street buried about the same and it's been fine for years- just the coax buried. It's just the way the service provider does it here. In NY, we freeze over. If it's a decent cable you'll probably be ok.

They are the heavy grade type...they are premade but they do look sturdy...I just didn`t know if maybe freezing temperatures (nothing siberian here ) caused a loss of transmission or something and I`d be caught out...mind you,I doubt he`ll be doing any naked spying in the cold anyhow...hadn`t thought of that ...I guess you`re right when you say to leave it and see how it works out....thanks all