win4me

ZMODO 4CH CCTV System Package (PKD-DK4216, DVR H9104V)

ZMODO 4CH CCTV Surveillance DVR Day Night Weatherproof Security Camera System:

4 channels 4 cameras CCTV system (~$150 as of July 2012).

System Model: PKD-DK4216 .

Zmodo DVR Model: H9104BH (aka H9104V)

198993_1.jpg

This review is a result of a week worth of effort setting up, configuring, and testing. With help of Zmodo support I was able to find some issues, as well as reveal advantages of this CCTV system.

OVERALL: The system is good for the price. I would recommend the system to someone who has elementary surveillance requirements with some network features (email, mobile, internet access) .

PROS: Low price. Decent video quality. Ease of installation. All parts come along in all-inclusive package (not including HDD). The system pretends to be network feature reach.

CONS: The DVR software is raw and, apparently, poorly tested before release. The DVR has many flaws and issues in configuration software set up. Some of the problems are essential. The user interface is un-intuituve and lack of documentation. Some features like FILE SHARING are completely undocumented. Some features don't work as expected. The Alert Images distributed via email are small in size and low quality. When it comes to resolving technical and configuration issues Zmodo front-line customer support is not always helpful due to lack of technical skills.

The post follow up will go into details describing some fundamental issues found with this DVR system.

Edited by Guest

Issue #1.

ZMODO 4CH DVR H9104V: hanged at the first start up with HDD installed.

After installation of a new HDD the DVR hanged at the statrtup screen. After multiple unsuccessful startup with and without HDD, the system eventually succeed booting. After HDD formatting it does not seem happened again.

198995_1.png198995_2.png

Issue #2.

ZMODO 4CH DVR H9104V: can't see USB drive (backup device)

Plugging 1GB USB flash is not recognized by the DVR. When USB is formatted as NTFS file system, the DVR disables a mouth, e.g. the mouse cursor does not function. When USB is formatted as FAT32 file system, the mouse is functioning but the system still responds with "No backup device" screen prompt.

198997_1.png

Issue #3.

ZMODO 4CH DVR H9104V: FTP SETTING does NOT sends Motion Detection pictures to the FTP server.

This is the weird one, yet crittical issue. Successfully configured and tested by pressing TEST button, the DVR successfully sends a test image to FTL server. 198999_1.pngHowever, no images are FTPed in Motion detection Mode. Only email is send out when Motion Detection is triggered.

198999_2.png

This is the EVENT HANDLING settings, e.g. how Motion Detected event is handled:

http://content.screencast.com/users/flantus/folders/Jing/media/4f467281-8de7-4e46-a73e-2ff2934ffb6a/2012-08-14_1201.png

Issue #4.

ZMODO 4CH DVR H9104V: was not able to configure FILE SHARING feature.

This is a major failure because it does not allow browse/backup recorded video files. When this option is enabled (see check mark) the DVR still does not allow to access the HDD file system. Typing Windows Explorer "\\192.168.1.51\" prompts for password, but never let you in complaining with "Incorrect Login" message.

199001_1.png

Issue #5.

ZMODO 4CH DVR H9104V: Does continuous recording regardless that Motion Detection Recording only is set ON.

199002_1.png

199002_2.png

Issue #6.

ZMODO 4CH DVR H9104V: Active X web control application issues.

There a few issues encountered with installation and running the Active X control enabled application that allows to access DVR configuration via Internet Explorer.

1) Only Internet Explorer is supported by the Zmodo DVR application. You have to make substantial Security Level downgrade on order to install Zmodo software. Zmodo DVR does not support Chrome and Firefox. This is a big disadvantage.

2) After installation of the Zmodo Web Client was not able to login to the system. The application complained "Login Incorrect". Only after reboot of both DVR and my computer, and making configuring Port Forwarding (even though computer and DVR on the same network) I was able to login successfully.

3) Finally the Web Client does not have some of the configuration controls that native DVR system has. For instance, the Web Client application does not have an option to control FILE SHARING and FTP SETTINGS. Some other network controls are also missing in Web Client application.

Prepare for a massive wall of text:

Issues 1 and 2 are probably power supply related. The newer DVR's that get shipped out only have a 2A power supply and that hard drive you are using probably has a higher power requirement than the newer "Green" drives(the drive you are using looks like a caviar black). This would cause the hdd to have a problem spinning up hence the inconsistent boot results. This would also cause there to not be any power left over for the USB drive to receive enough to be detected. Side note, for best results, use a FAT32 formatted USB drive. If you can get a hold of a 12V 3A power supply, you would probably have much better luck with consistent booting.

Issue 3:

Working on this one. I don't have a spare FTP server that I can really test mine with. I'll work on getting one setup. The only thing I see that may help is an option under Settings>Video>Advanced>Motion Handling. It says "Upload" I'd make sure that's checked. Unfortunately that's all I have for right now.

The picture you have posted a link to shows the Alarm Event Handling, not the Motion Handling.

Issue 4:

Working on this one too. I have found a bit of information about this, but haven't been able to get it to login either. What I have found so far is that it is a SAMBA share and it is running over port 139, however I haven't found the login. I really want this to work so I can setup some sort of automatic backup over my network. I'll post again if I find an answer.

Issue 5:

I think I know what is happening here. I think what has happened is that the DVR has been set to record on motion for every channel if it detects motion in ANY channel. To check this go to Settings>Video and take special note of the CH that is selected. It should be on CH1. Then click the Advanced Setting button and go into Motion Handling. Once inside of Motion Handling make sure it says CH1 up top and that only box number one is checked for record, boxes 2-8, should be blank. Now, exit out of the Motion Handling window and go back to the Common Settings. Change the channel to number 2. Go back to Advanced Setting and into Motion Handling. This time, make sure only box number 2 is set to record. Repeat this process for however many cameras you have and then make sure to save!

Also, since the DVR doesn't have Alarm inputs, try going into Settings>Record(CH set to ALL at the top)>Record Schedule and make all the boxes green for Motion record instead of the yellow for Motion and Alarm recording you have it at now.

Issue 6:

The safest way to do this with any of the DVR's is to put the IP address of the DVR into a "Trusted Site" list within Internet Explorer. Then lower the settings for just the Trusted Site list. This way the lowered ActiveX control settings won't apply to every web page you visit.

NICE work! Thank you for taking the time to write that up ( and include photos! ); software looks like my own ZMODO DVR. I have the ZMD-DD-SAN4; running 4 1/4 CCD Sony cams with 24 IR LEDs.

DVR:

Software: V1.3.8 Build 20120502

Hardware: V1.0.1

DSP Software: V1.0.1 Build 20110628

Software dated: 05/2012

Set-up was not bad at all, and I'm very happy with the video. I can access directly, and Intranet, and Internet, and my IPhone with no problems.

About the only thing I'm really struggling with right now is what you pointed out in Issue #5, no matter what I do I can't stop the hard drive from recording 24/7. Like must folks I’m trying to set up to record only during motion. I tried your tip to set motion per channel ( not for ALL ) and many other settings, but even turning ALL settings off for recording still shows as writing to the hard drive, and if I look at the Play Back time select, its solid blue for every hour.

At least I have access for direct, in house PC, remote PC and IPhone. In Googleing ZMODO, it looks like I'm ahead of the "problems" curve.

I hope we can help each other in this forum when it comes to this type of Zmodo DVR, I’ll be sure to add what I can.

Has anyone heard where we can get firmware updates for this thing ( other than contacting ZMODO directly on the phone)?

***UPDATE:*** I emailed Zmodo and asked them about recoding just on motion only ( not 24/7 ). They said to default the system and try again ( as sometimes too many setting changes can cause this problem ), so I did, reprogrammed in my settings, and it now it only records on motion detect!! SOLVED

The continuous record taking place even though you think you have everything set to motion record.:

Double right click your mouse to bring up the menu at the bottom of the screen. Select the second button from the left which is the manual record button and uncheck all of the boxes that come up. You will probably find that they are checked.

You will find that this is also an issue with the Falco DVR's as the software's appear to be similar.

Did you ever solve the file sharing issue. Set up my Zmodo this weekend and was not able to get file sharing to work either.

Thanks,

lz

This looks like the SAN8. So I will let you know what I found.

The recording all the time with the blue line is caused manual record.

Pressing rec on the remote will turn this on. Its one of the options on the onscreen menu just turn it off on all cameras.

FTP is just flat out not working.

Zmodo email tec support confirms this says its not working at this time.

Whatever that means its a just major bug. Setting everything right passing the test and selecting the option to do a FTP upload doesn't work.

Did you ever solve the file sharing issue. Set up my Zmodo this weekend and was not able to get file sharing to work either.

Thanks,

lz

File sharing also has a bug it doesn't work.